Heart Rate Monitors?

Options
I need some good advice on brands, where to get them, and what kind (chest or watch). If anyone can give advice that would help a lot!

Replies

• stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    polar, i have the ft7. i would say stick with the chest band because the watch-only ones may not be as accurate. i love my ft7 and have found that the chest band is really not as annoying as i thought it would be. i tuck it right under the lower band on my sports bra and barely ever notice it there :D if you check out heartratemonitorusa dot com, they often have special with free shipping and such. they had the best price i found.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Polar series HRMs are well known. I for one like to run so I have a gps watch with a hrm built in (forerunner series) but HRMs only give you estimated calories burned.
  • AlissaPT
    AlissaPT Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar FT40. Definitely get one with a strap - they are more accurate. Some calculate your VO2 max and are supposed to be more accurate, but they are pricier, and others just take into account your gender, age and weight.
  • AHealthyMe1lbAtATime
    AHealthyMe1lbAtATime Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have a New Balance N4 and love it... but I also have never had any others, so not sure what to compare too. Mine is a watch/chest strap combo. Reads time, zone, cals burned, hrt rate... Very nice for $70!
  • nichole325
    nichole325 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar FT4 from heartratemonitorsusa and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It helps me push towards a high calorie burn while working out and the chest strap doesnt bother me at all.
  • jerseyjenus
    jerseyjenus Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Just got my Polar FT4 in the mail today and can't wait to try it out!!
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7. I had tried two others and then went with this one. Liked all the information you are able to enter (age, gender, weight, date of birth, ect.) The price was well worth it.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4 and it works great. ... (trend seems to be go Polar!)

I prefer one with a chest strap over a watch. And they are definitely not as annoying feeling as you would think. Once you're in the zone, you'll forget you're wearing one. I got ancy and grabbed mine at my local sports authority for $90ish, but they can be had for much less at online retailers.