Splenda instead of sugar in this recipe?

Options
NVgal
NVgal Posts: 33 Member
My daughter and I are trying to come up with a low cal healthy menu for father's day and I just love this salad:

CORN MEDLEY SALAD:

This dish is guaranteed to please.

2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2/3 cup vegetable oil
(I only used 1/2 cup each and it was plenty of dressing, also 1 tsp. salt)

1 can (15 1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
1 can (15 ounces) whole baby corn, rinsed and drained, halved
1 can (11 ounces) yellow and white whole kernel corn, drained
1 can (11 ounces) white or shoepeg corn, drained
1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
1 medium red onion, chopped (I used sliced green onions)
4 to 5 celery ribs, sliced
Leaf lettuce, optional

In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar and oil. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Cool completely. In a bowl, combine the corn, red pepper, onion and celery. Add dressing and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Stir well. Serve with a slotted spoon in a lettuce-lined bowl if desired. Yield: 10-12 servings

1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 233 calories, 13 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 322 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 2 g protein.

I'm wondering if anyone has made this using Splenda instead of sugar. And if I did try that is it the same amount, like would I use 2/3 cup of Splenda? I make a coleslaw dressing using Splenda and it's awesome. Also can Splenda be heated? The dressing for this salad has to be brought to a boil.

Replies

• Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I found this, hope it helps!

http://www.splenda.com/cooking-baking/conversion-charts

Per their charts, it's ok to use it in baking and stuff like that. Because of that, I think they've made it to where it has the same reactions to heat as sugar. You might have to experiment and play around with it, though.
  • NVgal
    NVgal Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will chack that out!
  • Urzu07
    Urzu07 Posts: 39
    Options
    Using Splenda or Stevia to cook your foods will be fine. They're both the healthier alternatives to regular sugar.