Elliptical and HR? How Do I Get a Good Workout?

Options
I just can't seem to master the elliptical! When I started using it, I was on effort level 2 and my heart rate was through the roof, but I was moving a lot and I could feel the muscle burn in my legs. Now, a couple months later, after using the elliptical on and off (mostly skipping the gym altogether... oops!) I have a new problem. I was on the elliptical for 45 minutes today, effort level 12. My legs felt FINE- I was actually hoping I could work harder!! But my heart rate was still at the max! I felt like I was hardly working at all, and yet my HR was super high (my BP is 14/78 if that's important at all). How do I find a good balance between getting my heart rate up, but not too high, and feeling like I'm getting a good workout? Should I invest in my own HRM?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Once your muscles get used to an exercise you're not really gonna "feel it" in the muscles anymore. The human body is highly adaptable. If you're getting your heart rate way up there then obviously you are getting a great workout. There is no problem that you need to correct unless you enjoy the burning and soreness in your muscles? If so, do a different exercise and you'll be hurting nicely again.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    define superhigh....
    were you short of breath?
  • benzie314
    benzie314 Posts: 12
    Options
    Go backwards on the elliptical. My quads hurt so bad the next day and its a great work out. Also some ellipticals have a crossramp which raises it up higher along with a resistance.
  • joconnor09
    joconnor09 Posts: 124
    Options
    By superhigh, I mean low 180s, which made my machine flash a "HIGH HEART RATE" banner across my screen several times. I wasn't short of breath... I was sweating and a bit fatigued, but didn't really feel TIRED. I guess I just feel like my leg muscles can't possibly have developed enough for me to not feel it at all with the amount of working out I've been doing- not much.
  • vfnmoody
    vfnmoody Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Okay that is super high. Might want to be a little careful there.
    Backwards,faster,longer and higher level that is all you can change.
  • redwan2001
    redwan2001 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    The Elliptical is the best work out for me out of all the machines, you have to be careful with your heart rate. When I work out I have to change my resistance levels to bring my heart rate down and lets say there is a good song I am listening to I add more resistance I balance it up so my heart rate does not go through the roof. I sweat so much and feel the burn I think you should switch up your resistance and speed while on the elliptical. Keep up the great work :)
  • kinghavok
    kinghavok Posts: 104
    Options
    Shame on you for skipping the gym!! I jest sorry… The HRM on the elliptical could be broken or out of calibration too. But I do agree to be careful and change up the resistance, height and speed once in a while. Going backwards for a minute for every 5 forward.