running at the beach.......

countindowntothin
countindowntothin Posts: 201 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
its soo much harder to run in the sand, anybody know how many more calories you burn that way as opposed to running on pavement or treadmill?

Replies

• Though you may burn additional calories, running in the sand can destroy your running form and lead to injuries. It is best if you do run on the beach that you try to stay down closer to the water where it is hard-packed, but still much softer than the road which makes it easier on your joints.
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    I have to agree with chill, it can really do you harm. The strain on your legs and joints can really add up.
  • countindowntothin
    ok thanks! It's not a permenant running arrangement, I am just going on vacay and don't wanna ruin my "good habits of exercize" just because I am away from home! Maybe I will check out the condos workout area for a treadmill first!
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    what beach are you going to? Most have a boardwalk or path nearby for walking / running.
  • countindowntothin
    Destin Beach in Fl. I've never been there so I'm not sure what all options I have really...my real thoughts were just that I would burn more calories running in the sand, so that was my first choice, now that I know it will hinder me in the long run, I think I will look for another option.
This discussion has been closed.