TDEE v. BMR

Options
What's the difference and which one should I go by?

*I usually work out in the mornings 30 min cardio (various machines on different days) and then 30 min weights (different weight machine rotations on different days).
*I also teach a walk/run class 3 nights a week.
*I give myself 1 rest day/week.
*I eat around 1500-1600 calories/day usually.
*I'm 26 years old, weigh 155 pounds, I am 5'3.
*I'd like to lose about 20-25 pounds.

I know my calculations but to eat should I eat my BMR or my TDEE or should I eat under them (and which one)?

Sorry, I know there are many forums and topics about this.... Thank you in advance! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• fiveohmike
    fiveohmike Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    For the most part, you eat over your BMR (the amount of calories your body needs just to function while laying around), and below your TDEE ( the total amount of calories you burn in a day, including exercise.

A lot of people have had success starting at their TDEE - 15%. This creates a decent starting calorie deficit to lose weight with.

You can check out the Scooby calculator:

http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    To lost weight you take your TDEE - 15%. I know it is totally confusing, and I do mine differently than others because it is the only way I stay under in calories and still lose weight. I have my calories set at 1550/day, but when I work out, I eat most of my workout calories back. If I set my calorie intake to my TDEE - I usually end up eating too much and gaining weight (what happened in the past with my anti-depressant). My method works for me but doesn't work for everyone.
  • eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    For the most part, you eat over your BMR (the amount of calories your body needs just to function while laying around), and below your TDEE ( the total amount of calories you burn in a day, including exercise.

A lot of people have had success starting at their TDEE - 15%. This creates a decent starting calorie deficit to lose weight with.

You can check out the Scooby calculator:

http://www.scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

Oh my goodness, according to that calculator I need to eat 2195 calories/day! Oh.My!
  • cmorga02
    cmorga02 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Here is a issue that I have. Everything has a different method. According the MFP I need 3050 calories a day to loose a pound a week. According to my TDEE- 15% I need 3530 calories and MFP says that it over my limit and won't loose any weight. Why can't everything be on the same system?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Why can't everything be on the same system?
    Because then they could all be be wrong. At least with diversity you have a chance some will be more right than others.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Here is a issue that I have. Everything has a different method. According the MFP I need 3050 calories a day to loose a pound a week. According to my TDEE- 15% I need 3530 calories and MFP says that it over my limit and won't loose any weight. Why can't everything be on the same system?

Anytime you use a calculator to determine your energy requirements, you are estimating, and you may also be using different equations to get this estimation. This isn't a bad thing.

Use a few different methods, choose one (probably eliminate and outliers) and go with it. Your results will tell you what needs to change.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    I think the only way you're probably going to know for sure what your maintenance is, is by picking a calculation to lose 0 lbs/week and be hyper obsessive about measuring and eating that amount, and see how your weight does for 2-4 weeks. Keeping activity level consistent would also be a factor.
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options

The calculations are based on formulas a few different scientists came up with to *estimate* BMR based on gender, age, and weight (or body fat percentage). Supposedly the Katch-McArdle Formula is more accurate than the more common Harris-Benedict Equation, so this is the one MFP uses. In the end, these are all estimations of your "true" BMR anyway. If you are meticulous about your food journaling (including weighing portions), then you can adjust your calorie intake up or down based on your weight loss (assuming you aren't retaining a ton of water). You should be periodically adjusting your calories as you lose weight regardless.

But based on your calories, it sounds like you have a lot of weight to lose, so I would recommend you go with the lower 3050 number, regardless of which calculation you think is "correct." Actually, if you have a lot to lose, I think it's perfectly fine to aim for a higher loss- say 2 lbs per week. (This is under the assumption that you're not inordinately tall so I'm thinking your current TDEE is far from your goal TDEE.)