Post-workout protein

Options
jzaz903
jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
What can I have for my post-workout protein that isn't powder? I'm lactose intolerant and most whey powders make me sick to my stomach :( plus I'd rather get my protein from actual foods and not powders.
I was thinking of just having some chicken breast afterwards, but I recently read that chicken breast is a slowly absorbing protein and post-workout you need a fast absorbing one. Is that true or bs?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What can I have for my post-workout protein that isn't powder? I'm lactose intolerant and most whey powders make me sick to my stomach :( plus I'd rather get my protein from actual foods and not powders.
    I was thinking of just having some chicken breast afterwards, but I recently read that chicken breast is a slowly absorbing protein and post-workout you need a fast absorbing one. Is that true or bs?

Whole foods are perfectly fine to eat post workout
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Almonds
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a ton of chicken after lifting... I don't think you need powder
  • unlocke
    unlocke Posts: 149
    Options
    Chicken, turkey or fish are all good options. Throw in some veggies and a "good" carb like brown rice or sweet potatoes for a complete post-workout meal.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    There are several non-dairy based protein powders out there. E.g., Spiru-tein is very good, and so is the Source of Life Energy Shake.

Oatmeal is also great, and so are egg whites.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    According to a friend of mine who is majoring in exercise science, the emphasis on protein post-workout is all wrong. You need carbs, not protein. She says that one of the ideal post-workout meals containing a good blend of protein and carbs is a bowl of healthy cereal with nonfat milk.

EDIT:

Use lactaid milk?
  • whitefang66
    whitefang66 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i eat a lot of fish (tuna, pilchards, salmon, crab, stuff like that), eggs, or chicken (grilled) .. full of protein :)
  • jherman08
    jherman08 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Egg whites! No fat, no carbs, and fast absorbing =]
  • jzaz903
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I had a feeling the fast absorbing-slow absorbing thing was bs. I'll continue my chicken breast plans :)
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    According to a friend of mine who is majoring in exercise science, the emphasis on protein post-workout is all wrong. You need carbs, not protein. She says that one of the ideal post-workout meals containing a good blend of protein and carbs is a bowl of healthy cereal with nonfat milk.

EDIT:

Use lactaid milk?

It depends on what kind of exercise you were doing... if you were just doing endurance/aerobic exercise, then yes, it's all about the carbs. If you were doing any type of strength training, you want protein + carbs, in a ratio of about 1:1. If you take in just protein by itself, your body has a hard time metabolizing it. The carbs (and I forget the science of it) help you digest the protein. Plus, you also need carbs after any exercise just because you do - carbs = energy, and if you just blasted yourself by working out, you need to put something back in the tank. Protein does nothing for your energy level, but it helps your body rebuild itself.

Endurance exercise: mostly carbs, minimal to no protein
    Strength training: 50-50, carbs and protein.
  • Acg67
    Options

EDIT:

Use lactaid milk?

Why is that, for rapid glycogen replenishment?
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I had a feeling the fast absorbing-slow absorbing thing was bs. I'll continue my chicken breast plans :)

I don't think the slow absorbing thing is BS... there seems to be general agreement that, after exercising, there's a 1 hour window in which the human body can make the most of post-workout nutrition - and really, the first 20 minutes are the most important. So, the quicker your body can get the protein (and carbs!) into your system, the better.

This is just one link among many that speak to this subject: http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/importance.htm

(It also speaks to the 'whole food' vs 'protein shakes' issue)
  • Acg67
    Options

I don't think the slow absorbing thing is BS... there seems to be general agreement that, after exercising, there's a 1 hour window in which the human body can make the most of post-workout nutrition - and really, the first 20 minutes are the most important. So, the quicker your body can get the protein (and carbs!) into your system, the better.

This is just one link among many that speak to this subject: http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/importance.htm

638c0fc3-9a34-4739-a352-249c008a0c07.jpg
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Hardboiled Eggies. Eat the yolk!
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

(It also speaks to the 'whole food' vs 'protein shakes' issue)

Dr. Berardi is a very intelligent person and very well respected. Check some of his more recent work because he experimented with Intermittent Fasting and discussed workout nutrition timing as well. My takeaway from his work was that either method is fine. Meaning if you like to eat 5 to 6 smaller meals across the day or practice intermittent fasting and a limited feasting window either is fine.
  • jzaz903
    Options

EDIT:

Use lactaid milk?

It depends on what kind of exercise you were doing... if you were just doing endurance/aerobic exercise, then yes, it's all about the carbs. If you were doing any type of strength training, you want protein + carbs, in a ratio of about 1:1. If you take in just protein by itself, your body has a hard time metabolizing it. The carbs (and I forget the science of it) help you digest the protein. Plus, you also need carbs after any exercise just because you do - carbs = energy, and if you just blasted yourself by working out, you need to put something back in the tank. Protein does nothing for your energy level, but it helps your body rebuild itself.

I've been doing c25k(repeated week 1 to be more comfortable, so I'm in the middle of week 2 now) an on my rest days from that I do circuit training. I do take a total rest day 1-2 times a week.
    So on running days I just need carbs, but on circuit days I need both carbs and protein?
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options

EDIT:

Use lactaid milk?

I've been doing c25k(repeated week 1 to be more comfortable, so I'm in the middle of week 2 now) an on my rest days from that I do circuit training. I do take a total rest day 1-2 times a week.
    So on running days I just need carbs, but on circuit days I need both carbs and protein?

A little bit of protein never hurts, but yes, the focus should be on carbs. For running days, get some fast-acting carbs in immediately for quick energy and glycogen replenishment, but also some slow carbs (e.g., oatmeal), as well. Or, just get in the fast acting carbs right away, and then eat a normal meal within the next hour or two.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

EDIT:

Use lactaid milk?

This is incorrect. If you want to maintain muscle mass while doing endurance training, you need protein on running days, too. Many people losing weight by doing a lot of cardio end up losing a lot of muscle mass (I think 22% of weight loss- but I would have to look the specifics up), and getting adequate protein is a BIG factor in maintaining muscle mass. You need carbs and protein on running days.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options

EDIT:

Use lactaid milk?

This is incorrect. If you want to maintain muscle mass while doing endurance training, you need protein on running days, too. Many people losing weight by doing a lot of cardio end up losing a lot of muscle mass (I think 22% of weight loss- but I would have to look the specifics up), and getting adequate protein is a BIG factor in maintaining muscle mass. You need carbs and protein on running days.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that you 'don't need protein on running days.' Of course, you need protein on running days, because you need protein every day. My emphasis was only on the immediate post workout nutrition - you don't need as much protein as you would need on a strength day, and you really don't need that much at all - as part of the post workout intake. But yes, of course you need protein to maintain your muscle mass.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Just for kicks, another short, pretty good article, although it seems to have more strength/resistance training in mind than pure cardio (ie, running):

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/articles-submit/will-brink/pre-workout-post-workout-nutrition.html