Garmin 110 not calculating calories correctly?

Options
I have a Garmin 110 with HRM strap. Im using the HRM strap while doing Insanity and getting my calories from that. Lately Ive noticed that the calories seem really low. Im kicking my own butt and barely getting an acceptable calorie count. Ive checked all the stats and everything seems to be correct but just wanted to see if anyone else has had any issues with their 110. Im trying to lose weight and fix any issues that I may have with my diet and exercise. Knowing how many calories I burn is ground 0 for me. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!! :)

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 110 with HRM strap. Im using the HRM strap while doing Insanity and getting my calories from that. Lately Ive noticed that the calories seem really low. Im kicking my own butt and barely getting an acceptable calorie count. Ive checked all the stats and everything seems to be correct but just wanted to see if anyone else has had any issues with their 110. Im trying to lose weight and fix any issues that I may have with my diet and exercise. Knowing how many calories I burn is ground 0 for me. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!! :)
    The newer Garmins, including the 110, Use the first beat algorithm to calculate calories. This gives a lower calorie reading than Polars and other devices. Which is more accurate? The first beat is supposed to be but I don't know for sure.

If the 110 is suddenly reading much lower than it was before then check to be sure it is picking up the HR correctly throughout the workout. If it isn't the possible solutions are cleaning the strap, tightening the strap, and putting a new battery in the sensor.
  • lauleipop
    lauleipop Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Check the battery is my first guess. I haven't had any issues with my 110.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I have a 610 and I think my calories and a bit on the low side.

Also, part of the problem with the Garmins is a function of how it calculates calories when it doesn't have good HRM signal. I always wet the contacts andm y chest, but it seems like it works much better once I crack a sweat.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

It may be you are getting better at the workout. You only comment was about calories - is the HR staying the same for this workout?

The Firstbeat basis calorie burn not just on HR, but also using HR to determine breathing rate.

If you are breathing easier, than you are getting the oxygen you need for the level of effort you are at. Meaning not as much effort, not as many calories.

I've also noticed in this heat, HR may be up to help dissipate heat, but it really doesn't feel as intense nor is my breathing higher, and I do indeed get lower count.

But, I also noticed it took about a week of normal exercise for it too know my patterns. It calculates your VO2max based on how often you are working out, time wise, and your stats, and selection of Lifetime athlete.

The other reason for knowing the HR, your body gets better at entering aerobic zone and for an effort to be easier, ie your warmup basically. You should find you get to warmup and lowered HR for same effort quicker. Therefore less calories burned too.

But really starts, what has been the avgHR for these past efforts.
  • jmm27
    jmm27 Posts: 34
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys! Yea I wet the contacts before I use them but I havent tried changing the battery, Ill try that next. I thought I was just getting better at my workout but there is no way Im not burning more since Im kicking my own a** and still getting low numbers. Im doing Insanity so I need to make sure Im eating enough calories and burning enough. Ive entered my info (height, weight, age, average hr and time for workout) into MFP and in to a few "calories burned calculators" and my garmin always comes in WAY lower. So Im not sure what I need to do. I contemplated getting another heart rate monitor and just using my garmin for outdoor. Does anyone have any thoughts?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses guys! Yea I wet the contacts before I use them but I havent tried changing the battery, Ill try that next. I thought I was just getting better at my workout but there is no way Im not burning more since Im kicking my own a** and still getting low numbers. Im doing Insanity so I need to make sure Im eating enough calories and burning enough. Ive entered my info (height, weight, age, average hr and time for workout) into MFP and in to a few "calories burned calculators" and my garmin always comes in WAY lower. So Im not sure what I need to do. I contemplated getting another heart rate monitor and just using my garmin for outdoor. Does anyone have any thoughts?

What is your avgHR and peakHR obtained during your workouts?

What is the user profile stat for max HR?

What is your age?

Have you adjusted your weight down compared to earlier burns?

How long have you been working out with this routine, and in general since perhaps previous lifestyle with little to know workouts?

Do you have the workout mode set to Other or Running?

You can easily confirm if the HR is dropping out from being recorded by the receiver, just upload your data to Garmin Connect or Training Center, and view the HR graph. The lack of HR stands out massively.

Be aware too, that I thought Insanity was mainly anaerobic workouts, so while the HR may be high, you don't really burn that many calories during the session, you burn more fat in recovery afterwards.
    Now, you could of course do the workout aerobically, and miss out on that great effect.

But if it is anaerobic, and the biggest burn is fat afterwards, then you indeed do NOT want to eat more than HR says you are burning during the session. You want to replenish glucose stores of course so you can do it again tomorrow, but no need to replenish fat stores.