Wii Fit...

Options
So I am debating about getting a Wii...I really would like to do Wii Fit! However, I'm a typical broke college student. Is it worth the money? I thought it would be great for the colder months up ahead (I live in Wisconsin...). Something active to do with friends perhaps.

Does anyone that uses Wii fit really like it? Just curious...comments and opinions everyone!!

Replies

• zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    I actually want to have a T-Shirt that says "Body by Wii Fit" I lost my first 50 lbs using only the Wii Fit. Wii Fit for someone who already works out a lot may not do much for them, but now there are great programs like My Fitness Coach, Gold's Gym Cardio, Sports Active, that are much more difficult that are great. So, Wii has been one of the best things that has ever happened to me.
  • GreenEyedMonster
    Options
    I have the Wii Fit, the problem is I got an almost 3 year old so getting her to not be in the way when she see's her daddy jumping around like a goofball is pretty much impossible. Personally I think it's a cool tool to help track progress and a fun way to kill some time and be healthier but if you're like me and trying to lose some weight I wouldn't use it as a major source of exercise.
  • Brenna
    Brenna Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    There is quite a few strings on the wii fit on MFp- try looking up the old comments.

I like it okay.. but would not get a Wii just for the fitness program. I think its cute and a great idea, but not for everyone. I had a hard time disciplining myself to really push hard when I'm in my living room- but thats just me.
  • carissalynn82
    Options
    The wii fit is fun, but not quite enough for me. I was using the wii fit and watching what I ate but didn't lose anything. I switched to an hour at the gym 5 days a week and am losing 3 pounds a week now.
  • jacmiley
    jacmiley Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have like every exercise game for wii ... my fave hands down. My Fitness Coach. Plus, it is a cheap game.
  • monteig
    monteig Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I love my Wii Fit! But just like anything else, it is only going to work if you use it!

Some of the benefits for me:

- It is right there in the middle of the living room floor, ready any time I want to use it
    - The scale is very accurate
    - Variety of excercises all in one (yoga, strength, aerobic, balance, etc...)

I think the main downside (and this is just using the program that comes with the Wii Fit) is that most of the excercises are short, and with the pauses in-between, I don't know if you heart rate stays up as long as it should. Although once you unlock everything, you can do things longer (like the free step, which is great!)

Even the games that are not "fitness" are good for working up a sweat! I have a game that has a dance part that is so much fun and I sweat like crazy.

If you live somewhere that is that cold and it limits your outdoor activity, I think it a Wii Fit would be perfect for you.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    If you live somewhere that is that cold and it limits your outdoor activity, I think it a Wii Fit would be perfect for you.

I'm in total agreement on that last part. It would be a waste for me because I live in southern california and have ample opportunity to exercise outside, but if I were in a colder climate i'd consider it.

As i've read on MFP, it's better to get some exercise with the Wii, than no exercise at all.
  • wattsam1
    wattsam1 Posts: 95
    Options
    I love EA Active.
  • aniralav
    Options
    I love the wii fit!! I find it great to keep me honest with myself. I don't have time to exercise everyday, but I make sure to take the time to at least turn it on and do the 'body test' which just weights you and tells you your bmi. It keeps me completely honest with myself because if I have slacked on exercise or eating it will tell me right away. It gives me the extra motivation I need.

According to wikipedia, they are coming out with a new version in September. I would take a look at your local Game Spot (or whatever game store you have around) and start seeing if you can reserve a new copy. It is supposed to have everything the old one did except with more stuff.
  • biochemnrd
    Options
    I know where you're coming from. I too am a dead broke college student.

I contemplated getting one too but I decided to put the money into some dumbells/resistance bands/weights. It costs a whole lot less. :wink:

If you can't do weights I also recommend body weight training. It's the greatest. I juggle between the two and running.

This is the routine I do: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dumbbell-barbell-home-workout.html

The Wii Fit is good but nothing compares to split/full body workouts and some good HIIT. :smile:
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I love EA Active too just doing one hour yesterday I burned 410 cals per my polar F-6
  • joolesh
    joolesh Posts: 26
    Options
    Skip the Wii Fit and get the EA Active. Its a much better workout and really alot of fun.
  • SamiRose
    SamiRose Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Hey thanks everyone on the feedback.

I'm a personal Trainer and a Aerobics instructor, I teach Spin, Step, and some definitions classes. It sounds like I'm probably too advanced for Wii Fit. Which is just what I suspected, and why I started this tread. I'm afraid that I'll spend all that money on it...and not not enough in return. Since I teach group exercise and personal train, I get free gym memberships all the time. I just thought this would save the dive to the gym on a day or 2. But it's looking like I'll stick to what I've been doing!

Thanks again!
  • SamiRose
    SamiRose Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I love EA Active too just doing one hour yesterday I burned 410 cals per my polar F-6

I like the sound of this. I don't know much about it. I'll look into it! Thanks!