question about showering and a new tattoo

Options
Miss_dannii
Miss_dannii Posts: 1,351 Member
Basically what it says up there ...

I just got them yesterday on my wrist and my foot and want to know if I can shower!x

Replies

• mrsvanderpool
    mrsvanderpool Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. Just don't scrub it with a washcloth. You still need to wash it with soap and water though.
  • juliecat1
    juliecat1 Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    Yup! My artist suggested a warm shower followed by a cool rinse to close the pores
  • kathdela
    kathdela Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Don't let the water hit it directly. And if/when you wash it with soap, do so using your fingers only. You don't want to be pulling any skin or scabs off before it's time or you'll lose the color.
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Yes, but do not scrub them. Gently rub them with your fingers and a very mild, unscented soap. Make sure you pat them dry with a CLEAN towel, and put a small amount of unscented lotion on, just enough to make the skin not dry.

Don't use a loofa/sponge on the tats for about a month, or until fully healed. And NEVER pull the scabs off, let them fall off naturally.
  • snw_
    snw_ Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Of course you can. juat wash normally but before you get out, wash with an unscented antibacterial soap. i like the dial antibacterial foam.then pat dry with a clean towel (or paper towel)

when its new, be sure to.wash it enoigh so it isnt slimy. thats the plasma which will scab if you dont wash it well enough. use your fingers, not a washcloth.

after a day, throw on a light cover of unscented lotion (like curel) to keep it from drying out.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Yea, just be gentle with it...Your tattoo artists didn't tell you this...?
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    yup.
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    A lot of good information on washing a new tattoo. how many do you each of you have?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    They didn't give you post-tattoo instructions?

Showering is fine. Scrubbing or soaking is not. Wash the tattoo gently by hand with a gentle liquid soap like Dial Anti-Bacterial. Pat dry with a clean paper towel. My artists have recommended cleaning them about 3 times a day, followed by a thin layer of A&D ointment (available in the baby department). And don't shave the area (if it's an area you normally shave) until it's healed. Mine were all completely healed and finished peeling in a week.
  • itsafrappe
    itsafrappe Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    my artist suggested using a mild soap with no fragrances. i believe he said like dial or something like that. after the shower i would place a thin layer of moisturizer. there was a certain kind they recomended to me i cant remember for the life of me what is called now sorry
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    What others have said, yes you can wash it. I put unscented lotion on my three times a day until healed. I use Lubriderm. Funny how I always seem to have some around the house.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Dial gold for washing, and Lubriderm unscented lotion were my artist's recommendations.
  • sheryllamb72
    sheryllamb72 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    just plain old soap and water has always worked for me, followed by gentle drying by dabbing the tats and then I always use bepanthan baby bum cream. Dont have the water too hot, because it'll sting like sunburn does when you take a hot shower!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    ive heard several things from several artists...but the basics seem consistent.

gentle soap (antibacterial is good for a week or so), then unscented moisturizer.
    personally i go with bag balm for the first couple weeks, then an unscented moisturizer (i've used aveeno, and vaseline intensive) care
  • ShareeMorty
    ShareeMorty Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    just plain old soap and water has always worked for me, followed by gentle drying by dabbing the tats and then I always use bepanthan baby bum cream. Dont have the water too hot, because it'll sting like sunburn does when you take a hot shower!

Bepanthan is all I ever use on my ink :)
  • thekacers
    thekacers Posts: 68
    Options
    Don't let the tattoo sit in standing water. When I got a foot tattoo, the artist said that will cause the ink to bleed out.

ive heard several things from several artists...but the basics seem consistent.

gentle soap (antibacterial is good for a week or so), then unscented moisturizer.
    personally i go with bag balm for the first couple weeks, then an unscented moisturizer (i've used aveeno, and vaseline intensive) care
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    My brother's a tattoo artist, the warm shower with a cool rinse, don't scrub, and try not to use a soap with fragrance it can be irritating, is what he recommends. Enjoy your new art! :)
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yes! keep it clean! use a mild soap and wash gently. apply a very small amount of lubriderm afterward and when the tattoo is dry to the touch.
  • soontobeskinnysara
    soontobeskinnysara Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Yes you can shower! Just don't put the tattoos under the stream of water; essentially, don't saturate it. When you clean it/them, use lukewarm water and antibacterial soap. Lotion is optional, balm is optional. The only hard part is not scratching and picking at it when it starts to peel!
  • ajball90
    ajball90 Posts: 211 Member
    Options

I do exactly the same.