• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Calories ----> Change in weight.
    Macronutrient composition of those calories
    > Change in Body Composition
    Micronutrient intake
    > Health

Additionally, losing weight often improves health markers as well.

I really appreciate your reply and excuse my ignorance but are you saying that yes, it is all about the amount of calorie intake? What you're saying sounds like good advice, I'm just having trouble understanding it!

I'm saying that losing weight is about calorie intake. However, there are other concerns that you may have that extend beyond the number on the scale.

I would recommend eating "mostly" whole and nutrient dense foods like vegetables, fruits, meat, fish, chicken, etc.
    I would recommend some form of exercise.
    I would recommend that you stay within a reasonable calorie target.
    I would recommend that you don't neglect protein and fat.

That's my over-simplified blanket recommendations :)

Thanks. I'm just a bit confused, especially as I've been following (but now stopped) the "4 hour diet" by Tim Ferriss. He was all about protein intake and eating certain foods, but no counting calories.

With no disrespect intended, I don't think Ferriss is a reliable source.
  • dollyfish
    dollyfish Posts: 9
    Options
    Calories ----> Change in weight.
    Macronutrient composition of those calories
    > Change in Body Composition
    Micronutrient intake
    > Health

Additionally, losing weight often improves health markers as well.

I really appreciate your reply and excuse my ignorance but are you saying that yes, it is all about the amount of calorie intake? What you're saying sounds like good advice, I'm just having trouble understanding it!

I'm saying that losing weight is about calorie intake. However, there are other concerns that you may have that extend beyond the number on the scale.

I would recommend eating "mostly" whole and nutrient dense foods like vegetables, fruits, meat, fish, chicken, etc.
    I would recommend some form of exercise.
    I would recommend that you stay within a reasonable calorie target.
    I would recommend that you don't neglect protein and fat.

That's my over-simplified blanket recommendations :)

Thanks. I'm just a bit confused, especially as I've been following (but now stopped) the "4 hour diet" by Tim Ferriss. He was all about protein intake and eating certain foods, but no counting calories.

With no disrespect intended, I don't think Ferriss is a reliable source.

Yeh. Some of his stuff is a bit bonkers.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Am I correct in assuming you lift weights, and follow a low carb high protein diet? So, from what I remember (I used to date a body builder!), the low percentage of body fat was due to muscle building - and the energy used to repair muscle tissue is what burns fat? And protein accelerates this process?

I do lift weights, I do consume a high protein diet. I do not consume a low carb diet.

Protein is used to repair muscles.

Creating an energy deficit causes weight loss. This weight will generally be a mixture of fat, sometimes muscle, connective tissues, etc. Lifting weights and consuming adequate protein helps to prevent/reduce excess muscle loss.
  • dollyfish
    dollyfish Posts: 9
    Options

Am I correct in assuming you lift weights, and follow a low carb high protein diet? So, from what I remember (I used to date a body builder!), the low percentage of body fat was due to muscle building - and the energy used to repair muscle tissue is what burns fat? And protein accelerates this process?

I do lift weights, I do consume a high protein diet. I do not consume a low carb diet.

Protein is used to repair muscles.

Creating an energy deficit causes weight loss. This weight will generally be a mixture of fat, sometimes muscle, connective tissues, etc. Lifting weights and consuming adequate protein helps to prevent/reduce excess muscle loss.

Ok, got it. Thanks a lot for you advice, much appreciated.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Have you ever come across any studies which support the idea that greater fat intake promotes more fat burning?

Nope. If you've seen anything indicating such (where calorie intake is controlled), please send it my way :)

I remember someone posted an article suggesting that, I couldn't remember if it was you or Acg67. I want to research it more.

I've seen those types of studies, usually they are presented to show the metabolic advantage of low carb diets. Overwhelmingly in tightly controlled studies where they control for protein and calories, there seems to be no significant difference in fat loss when manipulating fat and cho levels.