Metabolic Syndrome?

XFitMojoMom
XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I just received my results back from my annual physical. The physician who went through the results said all my blood work came back "normal". No diabetes, No thyroid issues, great LDL & HDL values, etc... Hurray, right?
As part of this physical we get an assessment medical result book. In the book, under recommendations, it suggests I have metabolic syndrome.
first of all WTH is Metabolic Syndrome??? The diagnosis said that the first indication is my waist circumference (greater than 80cm//I'm 99cm)... The next criteria is Triglyceride level 1.7 mmol/L (mine was within values), HDL <1 mmol/L mine was within values...BP also within values... Fasting Glycemia >or equal to 5.6 mmol/L, and that was my EXACT value.
When I saw 5.6 as my fasting value, I thought it was a little high (I had gestational diabetes, insulin dependent with my last pregnancy)...
SO what am I supposed to make of this? Should I see another doctor?

Oh, and I have to have a MIBI Stress test because there was an electrical blip on my ecg stress test.

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    It's just a term they use for having more than one symptom, with your Fasting glycemic levels at the limit and your W2H ratio is a little high that would be why they diagnose that condition, it's more of a "cover your *kitten*" diagnosis than anything else. Basically it's about as vague a warning as they can give, and truth be told, about 1/3 of the Adult population of the United States could probably be classified as having "symptoms of Metabolic syndrome".

Not to say you should blow it off, while it's a generic diagnosis, it's still true, and it means you need to be more careful with your diet (I.E. foods that raise your blood sugar levels) and try to get that W2H ratio a little more under control, but if those are the only 2 symptoms, and they are borderline, then I would just continue on your path to better health, they will clear them selves up if you do that.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    I know that you are probably not going to want to hear this, but I will present the knowledge for you to research and made an informed decision from there........

metabolic syndrome is part of having PCOS, so I know what your going through, the good news is, it can be combatted

Here are the links to some reading material that I have book marked.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/77592.php

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/11/051116090318.htm

http://www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2007/08/17/5387/low-carb-diet-alters-hormone-levels-to-fight-metabolic-syndrome/

Low-Carb Diets Combat Metabolic Syndrome
    24 Jul 2007

A low-carbohydrate diet helps people with a condition called metabolic syndrome, a collection of serious risk factors found in some obese individuals.

Now, a new study confirms the diet is effective against the syndrome, and the researchers think they've discovered how it works.

Eating a low-carb diet improves the hormonal signaling involved in obesity and improves the sense of fullness, allowing weight loss, according to study leader Matthew R. Hayes, a postdoctoral fellow at the University of Pennsylvania.

"There is this strong interest in the field in carb-restricted diets in the treatment of obesity," said Hayes, who conducted the research while a doctoral student at Pennsylvania State University. "That [interest] comes from a number of controlled clinical trials that demonstrate overweight or obese people, maintained on low-carb diets, are successful if they adhere to the diet."

"It's definitely a hot debate in the field," Hayes added, whether the diets work. "We wanted to look at not only if it worked but how."

People with metabolic syndrome struggle with excessive abdominal fat; low levels of HDL -- good -- cholesterol; and insulin resistance or glucose intolerance, in which the body doesn't properly use insulin or blood sugar. Metabolic syndrome raises the risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes and other serious health problems, according to the American Heart Association.

Hayes and his colleagues studied 20 men and women with metabolic syndrome, instructing them to follow a low-carb diet similar to the popular South Beach Diet. For phase one, which lasted two weeks, the study participants were told to get 10 percent of their calories from carbohydrates. For phase 2, which lasted the remaining 10 weeks of the study, they were told to eat up to 27 percent carbs.

"The subjects did lose weight, and they lost total body fat. Their weight was a little over 200 pounds when the study started. By the end of the study, the subjects weighed about 193, 194. They lost close to 10 pounds during the three-month study."

And, Hayes said, "By the end of the study, about 50 percent no longer had metabolic syndrome."

The study participants didn't follow the diets strictly, he found. "Phase one intake was 25 percent [carbohydrates], on average," he said, rather than the 10 percent recommended. "Phase two carb intake was 35 percent," he said, although 27 percent was recommended. But it was a reduction from the participants' pre-study diet, which included 47 percent of calories from carbohydrates, he said.

To find out why the weight declined, Hayes' team did hormone assays, measuring fasting and post-meal blood levels of hormones associated with appetite and food intake, such as insulin, leptin and cholecystokinin (CCK).

"We found some changes in hormone levels," he said. "We saw a decrease in insulin, a decrease in leptin levels by the end of phase one. It was fast."

"By the end of phase 2, the insulin levels had crept up toward baseline; the leptin levels also rose, but it did not come back to the levels at baseline," Hayes said.

"These alternations in hormone levels acting together help reduce the amount of food consumed," he said. "There's a synergy. Based on the literature already out there, we are speculating that this synergy of hormones may be the mechanism explaining why people are satisfied with less food and [the low-carb diet] results in weight loss."

However, Hayes emphasized that the study, published in the August issue of The Journal of Nutrition, was small and preliminary, and more research is needed.

Connie Diekman, director of university nutrition at Washington University in St. Louis and president of the American Dietetic Association, also urged caution when interpreting the study findings. "The study is small in size, and the population is not extremely diverse," she said, although she thinks the study design was good.

"The study was focused on metabolic syndrome, so the outcomes may not be transferable to people who are overweight but do not have the syndrome, since the cause of the syndrome is still not clear," Diekman said.

http://www.healthday.com/

Article URL: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/77592.php

Main News Category: Nutrition / Diet

Also Appears In: Obesity / Weight Loss / Fitness,

• XFitMojoMom
    well, I think I eat fairly well.
    except the alcohol, which Ripgirl was so kind to share in her post... is the :devil:

It sucks, but I'm going to cut my alcohol consumption... see if that helps... because despite my diet and all the cardio activity I do... nothing is coming off. I've been stuck at yo-yo'ing at 195-190 since February.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    I was dx'd w/ metabolic syndrome. I call it the Fat Disease. What are the symptoms? You're fat. What are the causes? You're fat.

Not YOU you- This is just me talking to me. Man I need coffee so I hope that made sense!

I agree with Banks, a third of the U.S. probably has this. It's something they say to shut us up, imho.

Basically watch your carb intake- alcohol will sabotage you there. Try cutting out the booze (:explode: ) and give it a month and see how your weight loss is going. If you're still stalled and you really are doing everything 'right' then go back to the doc and demand to know what's up.

I'm at the Poke The Doc In The Ribs Until They Listen To You phase. It's a joy among joys let me tell you.

Lioness is right that one of the symptoms of Metabolic Syndrome is PCOS, dunno if you have that or not- like I said, neeeed coffeeeee ... Sorry for the rambling post.

We need a zombie face emoticon. Or a coffee pot.
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    I was dx'd w/ metabolic syndrome. I call it the Fat Disease. What are the symptoms? You're fat. What are the causes? You're fat.

:-) Okay that was hilarious!

I guess I have it too! At least it's a 'disease' that can be cured with healthy living!
  • XFitMojoMom
    Well, I don't think I'm fat.:embarassed:
    You can look at my profile pictures and make the call. I KNOW I can stand to lose weight, but my BMI puts me in the Obese range. I'm built solidly and broadly. :huh: I have a spare tire, but I do not consider myself obese.:angry:
    I don't have PCOS - I've had two very easy and healthy pregnancies (other than GD with my last pregnancy)..

I'll cut out the alcohol, god love my children:grumble: ... and I'll re-assess in a month.
  • gemiwing
    You can look at my profile pictures and make the call. I KNOW I can stand to lose weight, but my BMI puts me in the Obese range. I'm built solidly and broadly. :huh: I have a spare tire, but I do not consider myself obese.:angry:
    I don't have PCOS - I've had two very easy and healthy pregnancies (other than GD with my last pregnancy)..

I'll cut out the alcohol, god love my children:grumble: ... and I'll re-assess in a month.

No hon- I wasn't calling you fat at all. I've had coffee now so maybe I can be more coherent.

The fat stuff was what I was saying to myself when I was researching Metabolic Syndrome.

If I recall correctly, and someone let me know if I'm wrong, you have to meet five of the seven criteria. PCOS is just one of those.

Sounds like you're as frustrated as I was when I was dx'd. Not to worry because you're on your way out of the 'danger zone' as it were. I bet you'll find in a month you've busted that plateu on it's ear!
    :flowerforyou:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member

No hon- I wasn't calling you fat at all. I've had coffee now so maybe I can be more coherent.

The fat stuff was what I was saying to myself when I was researching Metabolic Syndrome.

If I recall correctly, and someone let me know if I'm wrong, you have to meet five of the seven criteria. PCOS is just one of those.

Sounds like you're as frustrated as I was when I was dx'd. Not to worry because you're on your way out of the 'danger zone' as it were. I bet you'll find in a month you've busted that plateu on it's ear!
    :flowerforyou:

You are correct, Gemi....................

To the original poster:

I posted those articles in hopes that you would read them. A woman's body goes through a lot of changes, especially as we have children and get older. A woman can have children and still have PCOS.
  • XFitMojoMom
    Gem - I know you weren't calling me fat. Really :flowerforyou:
    I'm just frustrated with BMI, BMR, BM-anythings.

The assessment book I received said only 3 of the 6 criteria need be met. Oh, my BP was right on the line too 135/90.

Oh, and from your lips to YOU_KNOW_WHO's ears on busting that 6 month plateau.

Lioness - I read through it. I'm going for basal hormonal testing in september, but I can guarantee I do not have PCOS. I do think (don't laugh) I am perimenopausal. I'm 38 in 6 months and my mom went into full menopause at 40.
  • gemiwing
    You'll get through it. Then just think of the amazing example of perserverence (SIC) you'll be.

One month plateau? BAH! I had a six month plateu, uphill both ways! Now get on that treadmill! :laugh: You could be a personal trainer from hell.
  • XFitMojoMom
    so we are both on a 6 month plateau...
    and I just got back from a 40 minute jog with my doggie (HR 75-80%). Taking it easy on my arches, they hurt like hell today :tongue:
This discussion has been closed.