The Alcohol Question

Options
I really like wine. A lot.
It seemed obvious why anyone would tell you to cut out alcohol when you're trying to lose weight (all those extra calories, sugar content, etc) so knowing that, I still felt ok having a glass of wine in the evening as long as I had the calories to spend according to MFP.

After a quick search I found the quote below. I'm not happy about it, but it probably explains - at least in part - why the fat is not coming off as quickly as I would have hoped/expected given the weeks of high intensity exercise and calorie watch. I'm going to try cutting it out completely for the next month and see if it makes the difference. I thought I'd share for any of you who may not be aware, or who are struggling with a plateau or the last 10-15lbs and can't think of anything else to do 'right'.

"Daily alcohol consumption will slow or stop your results. The drawbacks are probably going to far outweigh any health benefits. Your liver can't metabolize alcohol and fat at the same time. It will always get rid of the toxic substance (alcohol) first. That means that as long as there's alcohol in your system you won't be burning any body fat. If you have one or two drinks, you might stall your fat loss for a few hours. If you have quite a few drinks, it might be as long as four days before you're metabolizing fat again.

Drinking also dehydrates you, raises cortisol levels (goodbye muscles), raises estrogen levels (hello hips), lowers inhibitions (pizza anyone?). Combine that with the fact that alcohol promotes abdominal fat storage (of all places!) and it's really not worth it, not even on free day, not if you're serious about making a major transformation.

I personally don't drink alcohol at all. I'm way too freaky about my definition and nothing will wreck your abs faster. I know several women who have a few drinks once a week and they've still achieved their goals. I know other women who if they have even one drink a week can't lose that puffy lower belly or see any definition in their abs. Just how negative the impact is probably depends on your goals, age, activity level, metabolism, and a zillion other things.

If wine with dinner is part of your lifestyle, and you're not in any particular hurry to have abs like a cheese grater, you might experiment a little. See if you can have a glass of wine a few times a week and still be making progress. If it's really slow going, keep cutting back the number of drinks until you're satisfied with the level of your results. Of course, if you're wanting to radically transform yourself for a Body for Life challenge, or a tropical vacation, or a big date with a little black dress, forget the alcohol. It's the enemy. "

Bye, bye wine:sad:

Replies

• deedee108
    Options
    Now everything makes so much sense! I, too, like wine (and beer, and gin) and like to have a glass or two each day. I try to make sure I'm always within my calorie limit. But for the last six weeks or so I'm only losing about 1/4 to 1/2 pound a week eating even with exercise. That quote clinches it for me. I'm working on the last 15 pounds and I will see how long it takes without drinking alcohol. Wish me luck (I'm going to a wedding this weekend)!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
    I mean, how cruel.
    As mother, I prefer a glass (bottle) of wine to prozac anyday :glasses:
    Every mom knows, you need to drink when you have kids.:devil:

I really didn't want to hear this. I knew it was right, but...
    I have not lost 1 pound since february 2009. I will have a glass or two of wine every night.

I lose 17-30 pounds when I'm pregnant, because I go 9 months without drinking.:sad:
  • Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Sounds like we're in the same boat. Let me know if it makes the difference for you.

Good luck!
  • Ripgirl
    Ripgirl Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Agreed 100%. This is like some sort of cruel joke.
  • margaretthedevil
    Options
    Good info to know! This is why I'm glad that I'm underaged and not tempted to drink any alcoholic beverage at all even though I do go to college o.O (it tastes like shtt anyways). Same with coffee.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    when people ask me how I lost weight, cutting out alcohol is probably the number one case
  • cboehm
    cboehm Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:
    I mean, how cruel.
    As mother, I prefer a glass (bottle) of wine to prozac anyday :glasses:
    Every mom knows, you need to drink when you have kids.:devil:

I really didn't want to hear this. I knew it was right, but...
    I have not lost 1 pound since february 2009. I will have a glass or two of wine every night.

I lose 17-30 pounds when I'm pregnant, because I go 9 months without drinking.:sad:

HAHAHAHA :laugh: with 4 little boys wine is my prozac it is the much needed end of day kids are finally asleep put my feet up and relax favorite thing to do - there is no way I'am giving up my wine and I know lots of mom's that have abs I would kill for and they drink just as much wine as I do so I say life is short enjoy some wine :devil:
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I was reading your "quote" and thought to myself it definitely sounded like a quote from Body For Life. I've seen that same advice lots of places - that your body will always burn alcohol off first...... I just drank this past weekend for the first time in months - and I didn't overindulge hugely - maybe 4 watermelon Smirnoffs - and one shot of watermelon pucker - and I've stalled completely. The alcohol just isn't worth it if you're trying to keep on losing.....
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing a great thing by getting rid of the wine. Alcohol is a poison, and your poor liver has to fight to rid your body of it every time you consume it, and your liver is something you don't want to mess up- it's the largest and most important organ in our body.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I think you're doing a great thing by getting rid of the wine. Alcohol is a poison, and your poor liver has to fight to rid your body of it every time you consume it, and your liver is something you don't want to mess up- it's the largest and most important organ in our body.

Whew! Glad I don't drink. :smile:
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    It's true. My weightloss always stalls when I drink. :grumble:
  • lettuceb
    lettuceb Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Being a mommy of 4 boys also I like to have a glass of wine with dinner (on some occasions more :bigsmile: ) but I know I am going to have to stop if I really want to get into shape :grumble:

Oh well I guess I am just going to have to bite the bullet and do it!
  • oregonlady
    oregonlady Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    bump

good words i should reread.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Great post! Not much of a drinker at all anymore but still good to know.

Thanks!:drinker: <~~~water drinker now!:love:
  • naturebaby
    naturebaby Posts: 161
    Options
    This was good information and makes me think..I do love a glass or 2 nearly every night..I am losing, but very slowly. In reality I think alcohol is mostly how I got fat to start with ( and menopause) I will get a grip on it!!::brokenheart:
  • tabika05
    tabika05 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm a bartender...and I should know what alcohol does to you! I have a customer who stopped drinking about two months ago. She has lost 20 pounds since she stopped drinking.

I drink every night I work....I'm stopping too! No more vodka....arg!
  • brendabuckeye
    brendabuckeye Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm no big drinker, but if I have the calories left and want a glass of wine, I figure I've earned it. It is nice to sip on a little wine and unwind from the day. It beats grabbing a Pepsi and a Hershey Bar, I'm sure and, yep, I'll bet it's much cheaper than Prozac!

(My 'sip' measurements may vary depending on how wound up the boys are when I get home, though!)
  • AllisonMS
    AllisonMS Posts: 104
    Options
    Thanks for this quote.

Makes me think that "just one glass" I've been treating myself to (and logging in) the past 2 nights is just not worth it.
  • Elokyn
    Elokyn Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks so much. I needed to see that!!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    :mad: That sucks.