calorie deficit

Options
Can someone please explain the calorie deficit thing? I don't understand, I thought that's what you were supposed to do is eat less calories, not just eat them right back after burning them! Thanks much.

Replies

• Myobi
    Myobi Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    The program already has a deficit built into the amount of calories it gives you each day.

When you exercise, you create a bigger deficit.

The program has you eat those calories back because it is bringing you back to the amount of calories you need for the deficit for the weight loss you want per week.
  • venture420
    venture420 Posts: 14
    Options
    even if i made a custom goal that wasn't from the website, it's already built in?
  • Urzu07
    Urzu07 Posts: 39
    Options
    Take your body weight and multiply it by 13, to find out how many calories you'll need to be in a caloric deficit. Then change the options under Goals from your menu to 40-40-20, for the macronutrients. 40% carbs, 40% protein, and 20% fats.
  • wonderkitten711
    wonderkitten711 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Take your body weight and multiply it by 13, to find out how many calories you'll need to be in a caloric deficit. Then change the options under Goals from your menu to 40-40-20, for the macronutrients. 40% carbs, 40% protein, and 20% fats.

That actually doesn't work for creating a deficit for everyone. If I used that to find my calorie goal, I'd be eating ~400 calories over my maintenance calories and gaining close to a pound a week.

OP, I recommend going to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and using that to figure out your total daily energy expenditure and a 15% deficit from that based on your activity level (including exercise) and then setting that as a custom goal. Then you won't have to eat back exercise calories because that burn is already figured in and accounted for. I've been using this method since January and I'm down 29 pounds and almost 40 inches :)
  • mwestonp
    mwestonp Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    even if i made a custom goal that wasn't from the website, it's already built in?

No, if you made a custom goal the assumption would be that you already calculated the deficit into the goal and that any calories you burn doing cardio would be above and beyond that deficit. If you're going with a custom goal I recommend a site like http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ to help with the number (eat at least the BMR number, but less than the TDEE number).
  • Urzu07
    Urzu07 Posts: 39
    Options

That actually doesn't work for creating a deficit for everyone. If I used that to find my calorie goal, I'd be eating ~400 calories over my maintenance calories and gaining close to a pound a week.

OP, I recommend going to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and using that to figure out your total daily energy expenditure and a 15% deficit from that based on your activity level (including exercise) and then setting that as a custom goal. Then you won't have to eat back exercise calories because that burn is already figured in and accounted for. I've been using this method since January and I'm down 29 pounds and almost 40 inches :)

While it may not necessarily work for everyone, it should give the OP somewhat of an idea on determining the amount of calories needed to be in a caloric deficit, and then learn through trial and error.
  • couldbeme
    couldbeme Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    hi im not sure waht it means either i just added up what u said weight x 13 omg thats way to many calories for me think i managing a lot less than it says for me , ill look at that scooby thing as well ive gone over my normal cals but ive done a lot of walking and 20 mins of zumba please feel free to look at my diary if im going wrong could someone tell me plz x:laugh: