blah blah blah is this for me or you!?

Options
Ok I'm having issues with folks telling me "don't loose too much" "you don't have anywhere to loose from" "you look great right now have a _____ (insert bad food of choice here)". I still am over 170, I am 5'8" and fairly strong. My initial goal was 164 (the top of healthy bmi) I changed it half way through to 142 (100 lb loss). So lately I've been giving in to temptation more than I'd like and as a result have not been steadily loosing as before, I know I still could be. :( Considering what everyone around me is saying its like messing with my psychology. BAH! Please everyone tell me that I should block them out and bust my a** until I look how I wanna look!!! People are making me feel like I've developed an eating disorder or something! I haven't I'm just no longer eating like the "average american"! Vent vent rant rant done. Hmph.

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I don't know why people do that, but they do...not to me, mind you, but my daughter hears that all the time. Maybe they have a fear that you're going to take it too far, that you're not eating enough...I don't know, everyone seems to think they know better than you do. I'm pretty sure you know your body, and you know where you want to be, how you want to look, and what you want to feel like...SO- block them out, and keep busting your asss! :tongue:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Block them out and keep busting your *ss!! Americans new perception of normal is overweight, so anyone who loses weight throws off their sense of what's right and acceptable. Keep going!! I am 5'10", 188, and trying to get to the top of my healthy range--around 172. You are inspiring me to keep going!
  • blondeheat
    blondeheat Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to them!!! There is nothing unhealthy about the goal you have set. I get the samething all the time and that has allowed me to justify to myself slowly gaining 18 lbs.

I get the best results to avoid the discussion when coworkers bring in treats by complimenting the food and changing the topic. I have noticed these helpful people do the same to everyone.

Plan your meals and eat your plan!!!
  • frogtoestoo
    Options
    Ok I'm having issues with folks telling me "don't loose too much" "you don't have anywhere to loose from" "you look great right now have a _____ (insert bad food of choice here)". I still am over 170, I am 5'8" and fairly strong. My initial goal was 164 (the top of healthy bmi) I changed it half way through to 142 (100 lb loss). So lately I've been giving in to temptation more than I'd like and as a result have not been steadily loosing as before, I know I still could be. :( Considering what everyone around me is saying its like messing with my psychology. BAH! Please everyone tell me that I should block them out and bust my a** until I look how I wanna look!!! People are making me feel like I've developed an eating disorder or something! I haven't I'm just no longer eating like the "average american"! Vent vent rant rant done. Hmph.

BLOCK THEM OUT AND BUST YOUR A**. I get the same thing. It is such a drastic change for those of us who have a lot to lose and have lost a lot that I think people tend to get worried. My best best friend fights to KEEP 5 POUNDS ON, so we have little in common on that one point. I just give her my pat of butter when we have coffee and muffins and encourage her to pig out while I eat like a rabbit!

249436.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Calculator
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I should post more to keep me more motivated than listening to the people around me. I just wanna be healthy and slim. I know I always used to be the curvy girl but my boobs are not sticking around so I have to make the rest of my body (ie my waist) match, right?! Lol! I am going to keep on keepin on so I can let loose a little for the holidays and not regret it! :)
  • Wecandothis
    Wecandothis Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    I think that maybe they think they are encouraging you - telling you how wonderful you look now. But it works the opposite way.

Maybe just try and 'hear' it this way: "You look great now because of your hard work" Then just stop there, and don't let the rest enter your psyche. :)

Easier said than done I know. Blessings!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    They are well intentioned and are giving you a sincere complement. Accept it in the sprit in which it was offered. Respond in such a way that gives you a boost and reminds you of your goals.

"thank you for saying that, but I've set the personal goal to_____(lose 100 pounds, get to a heathy BMI) and I'm determined".

They'll be even more impressed with you.
  • swtally80
    swtally80 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I would love to believe they are backwards compliments. Like the person who says you deserve a burger because you have gotten so skinny (sure that makes sense to some) but the guy who said "what did you do to yourself why would do that you didn't need to lose any weight?" Obviously HE prefers larger women! But insulting none the less!