Do you still see your old self?

Options
After losing so much weight and people seeing the new you and comment on how good you look, I still see my old self in the mirror, is there something wrong with me, does anybody else have this problem?

Replies

• terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    No, I don't think there is anything wrong with you. I understand what you mean. It also works the same when I was at my heaviest, I'd look in the mirror and not see all the weight on me, but a thinner version of how I used to be. Looking at a pic of me heavy and I was like :noway: that CANNOT be how I actually look. Hopefully in time you will see what everyone else sees...a person who has accomplished a lot and is now a much healthier person :flowerforyou:
  • redwan2001
    redwan2001 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I can completely understand I truly can relate. Even with all the success of my weight loss. I still see my old self you do not see yourself as other people see you. It is like a scared mentality of your weight you still see yourself fat.
  • Sassy922
    Sassy922 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I saw the old me, every single time I looked in the mirror the first time I lost weight. This time around, I was determined to make my head right. Although there are days where I still see the old me in the mirror, I work hard with my head on those days and try to focus on the good that I have done.
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    FiercelyBeautiful Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    If you read my blog you will find that I have the same problem. The thing about weight loss is that it takes care of the body but not the mind. The mental aspects of being overweight in our society must be dealt with separately. I am currently on a journey to not only transform my body but also my mind. Hang in there! You have come so far and are such an inspiration!!!

xoxo
  • weisegirl1119
    weisegirl1119 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing, dont understand why but i do!
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    I do this too but I keep saying to myself, I am getting smaller and you are able to wear smaller clothes so get real, I'm thinner already!!!! It's important that we work on this also not just the weight so we don't yo-yo later on.
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    everybody does this, but i am told it will pass with time
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I did for awhile, a long while. I would shop and reach for my old size.

Sometimes now I walk by a mirror or window and I am actually startled to see the smallish person in the reflection.
  • seanson4774
    Options
    yeah it makes me feel better to know I am not alone in this mind set.
  • chantaljl
    chantaljl Posts: 21
    Options
    I feel like that every day! sucks :(
  • FrugalMomsRock75
    FrugalMomsRock75 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I still see a big rolly blob of fat in the mirror...

but that's because I'm fat... lol
  • WILSONBA
    WILSONBA Posts: 197
    Options
    unfortunately you are joining the club. i think most people suffer from this no matter how much weight they have lost. just keep telling yourself that you look good, your mind will eventually catch up to the truth.
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    I definitely felt like that for a while
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    After losing so much weight and people seeing the new you and comment on how good you look, I still see my old self in the mirror, is there something wrong with me, does anybody else have this problem?

all the time.
  • rbrannock
    rbrannock Posts: 169
    Options
    You are not alone. I feel the exact same way. I am just now starting to like how my legs look...but otherwise, I still see the "old" me...even tho I'm 27.8 lbs lighter. :(
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Frequently. Some days I look and see "DAMN, YOU'RE A SKINNY BISH." And others, I look and think, "Did you even lose a pound?"
  • salxtai
    salxtai Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    More-so than looking skinnier, I don't feel attractive at all, and see myself as the wallflower that guys never noticed in their quest to hit on my skinnier/prettier friends - despite being told by other that I'm definitely not average-looking (really?)

- a big part of me immediately thinks its still the "sympathy compliment" that I would get when I'd make a comment about my looks when I was 10kg heavier.
  • acstansell
    acstansell Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I still see my old self too, mostly because I've gotten smaller, but not changed shape much. Take heart - I found more confidence in the fact that I've lost the weight and I'm back to a size I'm okay with rather than what I look like in the mirror. I know that will change eventually.
  • moniquelessard
    Options
    I don't see any change when I look at myself. I have 'moments' where I do, but 95% of the time I see miss fatty.

I get comments daily, but it doesn't really sink in.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I still see the old me in the mirror. I'm told my brain just hasn't caught up with my body yet and it eventually will. I'm still waiting. :/