European Holiday

Options
So!!! iM so excited! Goin to europe for a wedding...thanks guys for the motivation!! I have lost at least 7 kgs and sure will look great in my blue dress at the wedding!!! One thing im worried about is maintaining on the same weight instead of gaining weight! HOw can i stay slim in europe without internet to count calories? SHall there be some fattening foods which are generally healthy to be aware of?!?! HOw can I keep my plates small...etc..etc...anythin u can tell me will be appreciated!!! :-)

Replies

• theatregoddess
    Options
    Just keep a little diary with you and write down everything you eat, including it's nutritional values. Then when you get back you can enter it all in on the internet. =]

As for plate (serving) size, either ask if they can put your food on a smaller dish/in a smaller bowl, or as soon as it gets to your table, ask for a to-go box and put half of it away so that you arn't tempted to eat it all at once. You'll save calories and money!

When it comes to food in other countries, if you don't know what it is, ask. If it sounds bad (fried, battered, etc), try something else. This way you'll also learn about a ton of new food!

Have fun!!

~Nicole
  • mrd232
    mrd232 Posts: 331
    Options
    Well, my advice is to go light on the breads, enjoy the abundance of preservative and "crap" free foods (I'm a cynical American) that are common in many Euro-markets, snack on fruits, nuts, and their natural yogurts. Ahh, and make sure to try some good meat and fish.

As long as you go easy on sweets, you'll be fine. Europeans have a lot of great food choices.
  • mrd232
    Options
    Speaking of which, I lost about 8 lbs on a ten day tour of Poland while eating full fat dairy, meat, veggies, fruits, and about 3 pints of beer nightly.

Chances are you'll do a lot of walking.
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    When I went to Paris last year, we walked so much with the sight-seeing it was a non-issue. Enjoy your trip!
  • theatregoddess
    Options
    When I went to Paris last year, we walked so much with the sight-seeing it was a non-issue. Enjoy your trip!

Srsly! When I went on a 10 day tour of England my feet just about fell off. @_@ We walked for hours upon hours everyday. If you're on a tour, don't worry too much about over eating because you'll most likely walk it all off! =D
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    European portions are smaller than American. Also, you will find less artificial stuff in it (their food is much more regulated than ours (at least the more western European countries). Their farmers markets are cheaper. Depends on where you'll be. In France? I wouldn't miss going to a pastry shop, OMG, OMG they are sooooo good. Pick any shop in Paris, they're all good. French bread is a nationally regulated thing (it's delicious no matter where you go, and it's cheap). They have these wonderful cheese shops also...

In regards to internet. I believe they are more advanced than we are. They were using cell phones long before we started. And I believe that cells can now do internet (you may want to set that up before you go). Or you may want to consider the many, many internet cafes in Europe (just like here).

France: all foods are great (French bread dipped into hot chocolate or coffee, a national breakfast, yummmm).
    Italy: ditto, just like France, everything's great, but different (I had the most amazing clam linguinni in Venice-just clams, white wine, parsley, and pasta, but it was soooo good).
    England: I wouldn't miss trying real fish and chips in a real English pub (real pub beer)
    Germany: I'd go for all kinds of meats: sausages, stews (then there's Munich where the smallest size beer is I think a gallon).
    Spain: Tapas (fish is amazing)
    Belgium: OMG I never knew what a real a waffle was until I had a real Belgium waffle in Belgium, drool. (They also have very interesting beers and cidars).

Of course there are more European countries, but I'm getting too hungry to continue. Have fun, and enjoy your trip. How often do you get to go to Europe anyway?
  • Stunner
    Stunner Posts: 20
    Options
    THanks guys for all of your advices!!! Will try go on internet as much as possible. Probably the people im staying with in germany will hav net and let me use their computer! I was thinkin this morning, it wld be a gud idea to take the measuring cups cos its a rule to have a half cup of raw oats and a fruit every morning for me which equals about 250-300 calories....haha wldnt it be funny to put measuring cups in my suitcase and travel far with them! :P I only went to europe once and gained 10 pounds. THat was 4 years ago. but in fact it was only because i was being a pig and ate all day for these yummy 8 weeks!!!!! ahhh im definitely not doin that this time....goin to enjoy their healthy food instead and probably eat a bit of junk!!!!! :)
  • mrd232
    Options
    Try meusli. Just eyeball it. No need to bring cups.