motivation

Options
I hate working out. I love the feeling i get after a workout, but its not enough motivation me to go to the gym. My job has me active enough that I have been able to maintain my weight, but I need to loose. That and when I get a craving I have no idea how to stop myself from bingeing. I know its usually emotional but I get crazy hungry that doesn't go away till I binge.All of this is keeping me from losing. I am a going go so far as say i have no will power =/

I was wondering how others motivate themselves. Or if anyone else found a solution to a similar problem.

Replies

• Excellentia
    Excellentia Posts: 182
    Options
    I feel you! I surround myself with most things fitness and healthy. I once heard someone say, "What we think about, we bring about." So I think about my health most of the time, as well as my personal goals and what I stand to gain my becoming more healthy. I read a lot too and I read things that are inspirational and uplifting.

Hopefully this helps, but hang in there! :flowerforyou:
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    Not wanting to die motivates me.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I've never had the motivation to go to the gym, until I found stuff I like. I'm lucky in the fact that I have a garage converted into a gym... so I have no excuse for not going :)
  • Aleciajones
    Aleciajones Posts: 153
    Options
    I put post it notes around with fitspo quotes. Computor monitor, bathroom mirror, random places.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Having the body of a 20 something in my 40's, feeling good, having energy, doing things I never thought possible...

Oh, and I think I'll be around to enjoy it in my 50's and beyond (good lord willing!)- That is what motivates me!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    For me, there has to be a plan and a schedule. I can't just say I'll exercise after work. Something else always gets in the way. So for me it was making it a part of my day/week/life. Most days I get up early and exercise before work. I LOVE posting the workouts on MFP and getting the high fives from my friends! But also doing it early, and before I can get distracted, puts me in the mindset for the day. Why ruin the good workout with bad eating? The other times I exercise it is in a class a couple of times a week. My buddies look for me if I'm not there! Scheduling it has truly made a difference in my life. YES it is hard to get up early. But after almost six years of staying on track, it has been worth the effort. Good luck with your journey!!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    When I don't want to go to the gym, I sit and ask myself, "What am I going to do if I don't go to the gym right now?" The answer is usually that I'm going to watch TV or do laundry or check my messages. So what is 30-60 minutes at the gym? I don't have a car either, so I bike 2 miles to the gym, work out, and bike home. Some days I bike to work, then to the gym, then home. It is only about 5 miles, but it takes up about 10 hours of my day. That still leaves me plenty of time to do what I need to do and get plenty of sleep.

You might regret skipping a workout, but there will never be a workout you regret.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options

You might regret skipping a workout, but there will never be a workout you regret.

I LOVE THIS!!
  • TheAncientMariner
    TheAncientMariner Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I think about this:

when-Im-sad-I-stop-being-sad-and-be-awesome-instead-700x393.jpg
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I think about this:

I used that exact image on my facebook timeline cover. It is what I tell myself every day :D I have loved NPH since I was a toddler!
  • sssuuuzzz
    sssuuuzzz Posts: 20
    Options
    something that has been working for me is setting smaller goals. Over all I would like to lose 50 pounds. I am almost at the 10 pound mark. I am trying not to look at it as "oh my god, I still have so much more to go." but looking at it as " WOW! 10 pounds. I did it!"

I'm with you on the over eating though. It is my biggest problem. That, and I crave somethings that I know are just not good for me! Just know that you aren't a lone.
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I think about this:

I used that exact image on my facebook timeline cover. It is what I tell myself every day :D I have loved NPH since I was a toddler!

I have this on my facebook too! nph is awesome!

thankyou guys.... this sight really is awesome. going to work out now =)
  • raymondchandler
    Options
    I found the key to motivation the following:

1. Understanding at a deep level WHY I am working toward this goal -- What is it worth to me?
    2. Having a plan to achieve that goal
    3. Rewarding small successes
    4. Working towards the goal EVERYDAY

I believe weight-loss is less about exercise (calories out) and more about the food we eat (calories in). Since we eat everyday, every time we consider eating "food" we should always be reminding ourselves of the GOAL and the plan. I found a lot of this good information on livingtopossibilities.com.

As for Weight-loss, my main motivator is having a beach body. I am far from it, but working towards it everyday brings me one day closer to my goal.