deadlifts are bad for you?

A personal trainer at my gym told me I shouldn't be doing deadlifts because everybody who does them has crappy form and I'm just asking for an injury. She told me (and I quote) "there are other ways for 'women' to strengthen their back".

She had a couple of other things to say about women bulking up with weightlifting that I didn't care for either.

but I have been worried that I'm doing the deadlifts wrong (my back muscles are sore, but my back doesn't HURT).

Any thoughts?

Replies

• Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    complete crap, deadlifts are one of the most functional exercises around. Watch some videos about form.. I would not skip them, In fact they are my favorite lift.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,238 Member
    Tried them last week...i think it was love at first rep.
  • TauTheBull
    TauTheBull Posts: 96
    A personal trainer at my gym told me I shouldn't be doing deadlifts because everybody who does them has crappy form and I'm just asking for an injury. She told me (and I quote) "there are other ways for 'women' to strengthen their back".

She had a couple of other things to say about women bulking up with weightlifting that I didn't care for either.

but I have been worried that I'm doing the deadlifts wrong (my back muscles are sore, but my back doesn't HURT).

Any thoughts?

Fire that trainer at once... The deadlift is probably the best exercise to build overall muscle and strength. I agree that form is an issue but that's because of ego more then execution!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    If she's concerned about people's "crappy form" and injuries I'm surprised she didn't volunteer to demonstrate correct form (and correct form is important) - maybe she doesn't know herself.........
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    The trainer is full of crap, obviously.

But that said, deadlifts can be hard on the back if you do them wrong. Find someone in the know to watch you lift. Make sure you're not rounding your shoulders and/or back. Keep your abs tight to protect that spine. The main thrust for the lift should be coming from your quads and hamstrings. You shouldn't really be lifting with your back.

Someone with more experience might have better things to say :) I'm still pretty new to this lifting thing. However, I like deadlifts. They're one of my favorite lifts.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    That is bull****.

Go to YouTube and look at tutorials.

Wow that make me mad. I love my deadlifts
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Your back should be sore.. as the primary muscles they work is the lower the back. The first time I did with my trainer, my back had a total WTF moment.

While I love PT's(I wouldn't trade mine for the world!) not all are the greatest. and if you don't like what she had to say, then see if you can talk to someone else.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Well..... i threw my back out BADLY doing deadlifts. Emergency room bad. But the fact of the matter is that it was way way too much weight for me, my core wasn't strong enough to handle it, and I'm guessing I didn't bend my knees and POP! And you know what? I knew it was too much weight for me but there were other women handling it without a problem and I let my ego rule, not my body.

AND -- I'm doing deadlifts again. With way less weight, proper form, bracing my now stronger abs, and getting my darn ego out of the way. The bottom line is that deadlifts aren't bad in and of themselves. Like any exercise, you should do what you can handle, push it a little but not too much, and listen to your body.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Bad form and you can certainly injure yourself. But it's not all that hard to master good form.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Deadlifts!

badass-little-man-bodybuilder.gif.pagespeed.ce.9iVbXmCay2.gif
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Deadlifts!

Love it
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Time for a new trainer!

I just hit triple digits with my dead lift this week. Go slow, progressively increase the weight and take your time. They freekin rock!!
  • teinepalagi
    teinepalagi Posts: 86 Member
    Thanks! I kind thought she was full of crap.....but just making sure.......
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Deadlifts!

Someone get that kid to pee in a cup. I'm actually a little bit scared of him!
  • Arrache
    Arrache Posts: 1
    Just dont go too heavy and do them slow, remember to work your lower back too. If you have a weak back, you can get injured. I've been doing deadlifts for years, and I have a bad back but that isnt the cause. Shouldnt she be the one to teach you about form???

Also, the myth about woman bulking up is just that. If you have alot of fat, you will feel like your bulky but if you have low body weight, you will look toned. Weight training is the best thing for women who want to lose fat, try a Body Pump class at your gym or something similar. Do that 3 days a week, you will get there without a personal trainer....

Good luck
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    I did hurt my back on deads a few years ago, but it was because I my form was bad.

This time, I started really low and worked on form while very slowly increasing the weight. I'm at 115 lbs now.
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    It is one of the best mass building exercises you can do. I would recommend everyone to do them. If he is a personal trainer he should have showed you proper form instead of telling you not to do them. I am a personal trainer as well and would never advise my clients to not do them. I just show them how to do it the right way so they dont hurt themselves
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    hey you ever finds yourself in life needing to pick up something off the floor? Like say your child? Or groceries?

ZOMG, you just did a deadlift, you're lucky you didn't have your spine shoot through your *kitten*!! Good thing your trainer wasn't around to see you play with your child, or things mighta got real...

Hope you learned your lesson. Next time you see ANYTHING on the floor that you need to lifted, just remember your trainers advice and just leave it there. Risking your back is not worth it.
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    My tips for deadlifting:

1. No more then 5 reps a set, add more sets if you want to do more reps. People get sloppy and loose with higher reps which cause injury.
    2. Take a deep breath at the start, push your stomach outwards, and try to flex your *kitten* into your spine.
    3. Try to keep your chest in line with your arms, if possible.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    the deadlift is the best exercise ever invented... my back development took off after incorporating deadlifts into my routine and i no longer have back pain any more from now having a stronger back and core... you should probably fire ur personal trainer for this type of blasphemy against deadlifts. i would recomend not doing deadlifts only if you have a pre existing back injury and it hurts to do the movement (same goes for squats).. not because you are a woman.