Favorite low calorie food substitutes

Options
Once I bought into the calorie focused weight loss approach, one of the next big steps was to find foods that are still satisfying but low in calories.  I have a couple of my Breakfast favorites below that I would highly recommend.

Jimmy Dean Delights Turkey Muffins – These are a great choice for a quick breakfast.  They come in at half the calories of the regular sausage version at only 260 calories per sandwich.  One tip I do with these is to take the slice of cheese off, which drops the total to ~220 calories.  These things also taste great and even though I love sausage I couldn’t tell the difference between these and the high calorie versions.

Better n Butter – One of my favorite foods is peanut butter.  I searched for some time for a lower calorie option and this one is pretty good.  The flavor isn’t exactly peanut butter, but it’s close enough for me at half the calories of regular peanut butter.  One caution on this one is that it is very expensive at more than double the cost of peanut butter.

Polanar Sugar Free Jelly – Sticking with the breakfast focus this is another good option to help add something sweet to your toast or bagel but at a much lower calorie cost.    At only 10 calories per tablespoon and added fiber, this is a great option.  The taste is very good with these and I particularly like the apricot and strawberry varieties.

What are some of your favorite low calorie substitutes?

Yolodiet.com

Replies

• annebubbles
    annebubbles Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    when I want a chocolate covered frozen banana, I mix some unsweetened hershey's cocoa powder with splenda & a tiny bit of boiling water. I slice a half banana & freeze the slices on a peice of saran wrap. When it is frozen I dump it into the chocolate mixture & add a few peanuts. YUMMY

when I want ice cream (AKA my heroin) I mix up some frozen blueberries with Fage 0% yogurt & some splenda or truvia.
  • SonyaD_96
    Options
    I'm a huge ice cream fan, too. If you haven't already, you should try Banana Soft Serve. It is ridiculous how good it is. I think even if I wasn't watching my weight, I would still eat it.
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=694221

You can mix in so many different things. I like adding a little maple syrup and almond butter :)
  • Jessie544
    Jessie544 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I'm a big "I need something sweet after a long day at work".... I've recently been eating on fat free cottage cheese with fresh fruit and that seems to keep the sweet tooth at bay...

I LOVE the idea above about the chocolate bananas... yum!!