NSVs - Blood Pressure and more!! :D

Options
divinebird
divinebird Posts: 81 Member
While I haven't been exactly 'high', my BP has been hovering in the high side of normal for several years. I've also suffered from palpitations. About 2 years ago, I started taking Metoprolol daily, and last year Benicar was added. I have a cuff at home so I can keep track of it.

The other night, I checked the numbers and they seemed really low, oddly so. A quick consultation online of BP ranges revealed that it was actually right in the perfectly normal middle range. I called my Dr. to see if he'd do a check, to confirm what I saw.

He took it three times today because he thought he'd made a mistake the first two tries. It turns out my BP was even lower than what I thought!! He was truly astounded. I talked with him about MFP and the changes I've made in my diet (equalizing my calorie intake and making sure the diet is much more balanced) and exercise (going from nearly no exercise to walking 2-3 miles every morning, plus extra walks throughout the day). I knew I felt better overall, but I didn't quite realize just HOW much better things were.

The true NSV for me was that we're doing a test. I am going OFF my BP meds entirely for a month!! I hate taking the pills every night so this is really exciting. I feel great that there's a possibility that I've totally reversed my HBP...to the point where my numbers are now lower than they ever have been in all the years I've been seeing this doctor.

I also hit 25 miles walked for the month of June today--my challenge is to walk 50 in the month. For someone who normally lived in one spot on the couch for a long time, this is huge!

Why don't you guys tell me about some of your NSVs? We all have them, even if they're as small as 'I turned down the donuts at work". Go MFP!!

Replies

• KimKAnderson80
    KimKAnderson80 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Great job! I know it feels good to treat yourself well.
  • heykaraoke
    heykaraoke Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Awesome progress! Keep it up!

I went grocery shopping today and refrained from eating all of my daughter's snacks after we came home. She gets all the good stuff and I'm jealous! But I didn't touch any of it. Small victories :)
  • quietHiker
    quietHiker Posts: 1,442 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic news! Any chance to get off extra meds is great to hear! :) I'm so glad you've had so many NSVs! Keep up the great work! :)
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    That's what its all about!! I say HOORAY for you. Keep up the good work!!!
  • laynunugawa
    laynunugawa Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    that is awesome!!! Being healthier far outweighs anything else, keep up the great work.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!