I don't know what to do...(nothing to do with weightloss)

Options
I cannot write this on facebook, because I have coworkers and a parent (of a kid) on my friend list.

I started a new job 2 weeks ago. It's at a preschool that I have worked at before, but quit over a year ago. I needed a new job after my nannying job was up, so I applied at a bunch of schools. I got a 6 job offers, but my DUMB self, took the job at a place I all ready worked but hated before and quit. I took that job b/c they offered me the best deal, plus they offered me a job teaching VPK(prekindergarten).. which is the age I wanted.

So I have worked there for 2 weeks and I am absolutely miserable. I LOOOVE this kids in my class but I have way too many! I have 18 four year olds. That doesn't sound so bad, but there is all this stuff the expect me to teach them, but I have a few kids who do not listen at all and make it very difficult to teach the other 15 kids. I have one kid who screams through the whole circle time and no body else can here, but he is another employee's kid, so no one will do anything about it..

ANYWAYS. I come home every day from work and am so depressed that I do not feel like doing anything else. I am in a funk and I cannot get out of it. I am 2 weeks behind on my college work, and just SOO stressed.

My boss is absolutely delusional, and is literally a compulsive liar. WHY DIDN'T I REMEMBER ALL THIS STUFF BEFORE?

I am a very hard worker, and I put my every thing into what I do, I may not sound like it in this post, but I really do.

I had other preschool's begging me to work their, but I turned down there offers for this place! What was I thinking? I do not know what to do. I all ready committed to this school and I just don't know what to do. I am not myself lately. Even my fiance says I have not been the same person since I started there. I come home every day and mope around the house or cry... :(...

Any advice would be great!

Replies

• rjt1000
    rjt1000 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    call the other places that made you offers and see if they're still in need. If so, quit, go work somewhere else.
  • scubachick2287
    Options
    I worked ONE day at a daycare and I cried the entire way home and never went back. I know how you feel. I had a class of 14 3 year olds and I couldn't keep up much less teach them anything. When work makes you upset enough that you are crying or depressed it is time to move on.

Props to teachers. I'lll stick to nursing.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    call the other places that made you offers and see if they're still in need. If so, quit, go work somewhere else.

This. A job is not worth making yourself ill thru stress. I should know, I've put myself thru exactly that twice. Both times I ended up handing my notice in with no job to go to. Not ideal. But worth it health wise.
    Good luck.
  • phinphanbill26
    phinphanbill26 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    The best time to look for a job is when you already have a job. Continue to look, but only accept the ideal situation for you. Otherwise, stay there and get the much-needed experience as a teacher.
  • GemmieNoWobbles
    GemmieNoWobbles Posts: 398 Member
    Options

This. A job is not worth making yourself ill thru stress. I should know, I've put myself thru exactly that twice. Both times I ended up handing my notice in with no job to go to. Not ideal. But worth it health wise.
    Good luck.

^^ this too!! Absolutely not worth it. I swapped jobs recently and yes its been hard but I feel more valued and wierdly do less work for more money!
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    Sounds like this is not the place for you. Call the other daycares, look for other work, tough this place out for a bit until you can find something else, but definitely get the heck outta dodge!
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Sorry that it's not working out. I agree, call the other places and see if the jobs are still available. If so, just let the place you are at now know that it just didn't work out.
    If you do need to stay there longer, maybe in time things will get better. You might get more used to the kids and see what works and what doesn't as far as getting all of them to behave. Good luck to you! :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Do you not have a second teacher? I work for FOEL and I'm pretty sure with 18 kids it is required there is a second teacher in the classroom.
  • GermanicKnight
    Options
    What state do you live in? Here in Indiana you can only have 7 kids under the age of 5 per one adult. Do you have a teaching assistant in your classroom? 18 seems way too high for that age group for you to get much accomplished.

I would bring this up to your boss, and check the rules and regulations of your state.
  • Montegue42
    Montegue42 Posts: 98
    Options
    Is there a law about ratios? I don't know if its state-by-state or if you're even in the same country as me, but I used to work at a daycare, and we had a whole book full of, like, mathematical equations that told us exactly how many students we could have. I worked in the 3-5 y/o room, and I never had more than 12, depending on their ages. Granted, that's still a lot of kids to handle, but its something to look into.
  • rml_16
    Options
    What state do you live in? Here in Indiana you can only have 7 kids under the age of 5 per one adult. Do you have a teaching assistant in your classroom? 18 seems way too high for that age group for you to get much accomplished.

I would bring this up to your boss, and check the rules and regulations of your state.

She's in Florida and I happen to work for the department of the state that regulates the program she's working for. VPK is a little different than daycare, but unless something changed and I didn't hear about it (unlikely), there should be a second teacher in that classroom and the provider can have its funding pulled of there isn't.
  • MommaKit79
    MommaKit79 Posts: 852
    Options
    Do you not have a second teacher? I work for FOEL and I'm pretty sure with 18 kids it is required there is a second teacher in the classroom.

YES, 18 4 yr olds is too many for one teacher. I actually think you need 2 aids with you but cant be certain. You DO need at least 1 for sure!

I agree...check with the other places and see if they are still looking. If so, tell them you will be available in 2 weeks and give the other place just that notice...2 weeks. The good thing is that they liked you enough to hire you back so, that should count as something to the other places.

GOOD LUCK!!! MANY PROPS to early childhood teachers...LORD KNOWS I wouldnt have the patience for it!
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Wow. You have my utmost respect; you have a very stressful job. I teach college students and do not want to teach kids younger than that lol.

I think you should find a new job. 6 job offers is outstanding in today's economy....it says a lot about your credentials. You should be able to find one fairly easily....but I would not quit until you had a new one secure (unless you have the means to do so).

Good luck to you.
  • rml_16
    Options

YES, 18 4 yr olds is too many for one teacher. I actually think you need 2 aids with you but cant be certain. You DO need at least 1 for sure!

No, she doesn't have to have two aids. But she does have to (by state law) have a second teacher.

This is my actual job that I have done every day for five years, so I kind of know what I'm talking about. :-)
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I think you need to start with your supervisor, who is delusional, no less. Be honest, tell the supervisor that you had MANY offers but you chose them and now this is the circumstance and that you are considering leaving if things do not change. Give them the opportunity and give a time frame. NEVER burn bridges, you don't know who knows who and if you do things the "correct" way, it can only help. Then you can use this current circumstance as an example when you apply for another position somewhere else and also as a frame of reference that is working in an environment that is not conducive for learning. You really need to follow the chain of command, it sounds old, yes, but it's the correct professional way and then you can hold your head high and know that you tried your best. Education is a tough field, times have changed and people are attempting to do less with more. Tell the supervisor that you understand that and it's not your philosophy and you're compromising your classroom and it will tarnish THEIR reputation in the end. Then, the ball's in their court----THEY own the problem. Give it to them and wash your hands and walk away clean!! Just my 2 cents from a retired college educator!! Best wishes.
  • wwoelbel
    wwoelbel Posts: 23
    Options
    I dont think its a requirement of a job to be in love with it. On the other hand, hating your job is just plain wrong. I have had jobs that I took that I hated as they were stepping stones to a job that was tolerable if not enjoyable. Of course, there are always circumstances (dont seem to apply to your case) - If you need to work to survive and just pay the bills, take whatever you can get.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options

This. It's worth a little less money or not doing EXACTLY what you want to be happy! You might find that you love the different age group.
  • steadk
    steadk Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    i'd call the other places... why waste time hating what youre doing??
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    The best time to look for a job is when you already have a job. Continue to look, but only accept the ideal situation for you. Otherwise, stay there and get the much-needed experience as a teacher.

I agree with this. The best time to find a job is WHILE you already ARE working. It is no good to hate your job..it is not healthy at all. I would call the other places back up and see if they are still accepting positions. You never know until you try. You NEED to be happy.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options

This. And if you're asked questions about your decision (from new employers) explain your loyalty, but also (without going into too much detail and sounding gossipy) explain the reasons why you have to to leave.