Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Whey Protein Powder Vs. Protein Powders

Hey Everyone,

I suppose there are already topics on this matter, but I haven't had the time to do some research on the board yet and thought this might be easier. I recently invested in a blender bottle sports mixer and now all I need is some great protein powder or whey protein powder. I am pretty clueless on the differences of all of them, but was hoping for some tips on what kinds might be right for me. I am a college student on a very tight budget, but I know the powders aren't cheap and am willing to spend what I need to for a quality kind (I'd prefer that it doesn't cost me an arm or leg though).

Can anyone recommend their favorites to me? As far as flavors go, I'm not too picky but I do LOVE chocolate. If it helps too, I am a 20 year old college student and for exercise during the summer I stick to circuit training and running for the most part. During the school year I have access to a gym where I will do cardio, weights, and classes such as Zumba and spinning.

Thanks in advance for any advice, I've been wanting some kind of protein powder for a while now and just need help narrowing down all the choices out there!

Replies

• Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Whey absorbs faster.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Egg white since dairy is not my friend. Fiancé likes Jay Robb brand the best.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    First of all, you don't need protein powder if you're getting enough protein with regular food. It's convenient and inexpensive (gram for gram), but it won't do anything that food won't.

That said, regular whey is fine. Don't get hung up on absorption rates, etc. The importance of this has been blown waaaaaaay out of proportion. Whey is inexpensive (compared to other powders), high in BCAA, and is right at the top in terms of bio-availability.

I personally like Optimum Nutrition. Price is decent, mixes well, and tastes good.
  • adietron
    adietron Posts: 155
    Personally, I use protein powder to get my carb/protein/fat ratios balanced for the day. Having a lo-carb powder is the best way for me to do that. It's not cheap, but GNC's lo-carb delight is great.

Muscle Milk flavors can't be beat. They are all super delicious.

Also, don't be afraid to choose a vegetable-based protein shake. They don't absorb as quickly as whey (which can be a good thing, if you're trying to stay feeling full, rather than repairing muscle after a workout). They are also better for the environment, because cow products (whey) have a much bigger carbon footprint than veggie products. PlantFusion's Multi-Source protein shake is a great one.
  • mmurelli
    mmurelli Posts: 26
    i like the optimum nutrition gold standard double chocolate. make it with almond milk, very tasty.
  • lexivon
    lexivon Posts: 2
    I actually prefer a smoothie with Greek yogurt, honey and ice cubes :-). Just as much protein if not more than that nasty powder. It's basically milk minus the good stuff . You can flavor with all kinds of stuff .. ie.. banana and chocolate mix, mixed berries, and just about anything you can think of. best of luck :-)
  • bluemist248
    bluemist248 Posts: 207 Member
    I use Go Pro Whey in Chocolate Orange flavour, which is really nice! I've only just started using shakes, I figured they would be useful on the days I go swimming for hours or go to 3 gym classes in a row, as these are the days where I could most use additional calories and extra protein to help me hit my macros.
  • peterson_jessica
    peterson_jessica Posts: 119 Member
    I can't remember where in MN you are from, but if you have a Hy-Vee near by, I am in love with their generic 100% Whey Protein powder. It comes in vanilla and chocolate, has 20 g protein, only 2 carbs and only 110 calories per scoop. Way less carbs & calories than others I have found. It costs 15 dollars per a container that has like 15 scoops I think.
  • BeautyFromWithin
    BeautyFromWithin Posts: 290 Member
    Thanks for your input everyone!

To those who expressed not needing a powder for the protein - I understand. I do eat a lot of greek yogurt already and get protein, but I am looking to invest in some for up at college after workouts on busy days when I may not be able to get the lean meats with protein that I need etc. It's just a safety net for me!