Why am I not losing?

Options
2»

Replies

• fonitoni
    fonitoni Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    You've lost 20 pounds!!!! Woohoo!!

I suggest that the 20 lbs lost you saw at the beginning was just some squishy weight and that your body is now catching up with REAL fat loss and muscle gain. Add some strength training to add even more muscle and keep plugging away. Soon that muscle will begin burning fat and you'll see the scales move again!
  • boisenana
    boisenana Posts: 1
    Options
    Recently I added some things that helped --drink more water-a glass before every meal; smaller portions; and go by the 80/20 rule of giving yourself one "splurge" meal a week of something you really like. (These came from Bob Harper of Biggest Loser.)
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    From the exercise side of things -- do you ever give your body breaks from exercise or do you go at it strong every day? Maybe you need to give your body a break, ease up on it for a couple of days, and then go ahead and exercise harder. Switching things up helps.

From the food side of things -- I can't see your diary to see what you're eating, but have you replaced white carbs with whole grains? That can help.
  • shane9894
    shane9894 Posts: 23
    Options
    Sometimes when you feel like your stuck you can try to switch something up because your body can get used to a routine and often the diet is the easiest thing to change. I would try a new eating pattern for a few weeks just to mix it up. I was stuck at about 20-25 lbs and then switched from simply a low calorie diet to a high protein diet and eliminated wheat and starches from my diet totally, getting the same amount of calories though and have lost an additional 10 lbs over a month or so. I liked what someone said about eating a big meal early. Breakfast should be your largest meal because that sets your metabolism for the day. Then you can really start watching and cutting portion sizes the rest of the day. Just a few thoughts!
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    If you've lost 20 lbs since May that's amazing! You probably won't go back to losing like that unfortunately. You'll probably settle into a pattern of losing about 5 lbs per month now. Good luck!
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    ugh../still learning how this forum works...
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day? I would say to use the calculator on the Scooby website to figure out your tdee, and eat at a 15% cut for sustainable weight loss. Check out the group "eat more to weigh less" on here for tips, advice, answers to lots of questions, and over 5,000 people who believe in it and are living it out!

What a great website, thanks for mentioning it! The calorie calculator doesn't give you an option for maintaining weight (though I'm a long way from that), and the calories seem really high to me, but I have a lot to learn....
  • lindsayjdodd
    lindsayjdodd Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating per day? I would say to use the calculator on the Scooby website to figure out your tdee, and eat at a 15% cut for sustainable weight loss. Check out the group "eat more to weigh less" on here for tips, advice, answers to lots of questions, and over 5,000 people who believe in it and are living it out!

What a great website, thanks for mentioning it! The calorie calculator doesn't give you an option for maintaining weight (though I'm a long way from that), and the calories seem really high to me, but I have a lot to learn....

You're welcome! I love that website! I think the gain muscle, lose fat option would be for maintaining weight, and then gain muscle option would be eating at a surplus.

The calories can seem like a lot at first, but eating more will really help boost your metabolism. You can try adding in full-fat options (yogurt, cheese, milk, etc), avocados, nuts, nut butters, protein shakes.. easy ways to up the cals in a healthy way. Feel free to message me with any questions you have, and you can always send me a friend request if you need support from someone who eats more :)
  • tomhancock
    tomhancock Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Might be too much cardio. I know that sounds crazy, but when you do long periods of cardio (over an hour a day) your body can start to destroy muscle to fuel the long workouts, espeically if you are eating low calorie to begin with. This muscle destruction can lower your metabolism.

Try switching to high intensity interval training, weights / strength training, or mixing these things with the cardio.

I do a lot better on weight training than heavy cardio - but I'm a guy. I'm sure there are some women out there whose bodies react similarly.
  • lindsayjdodd
    lindsayjdodd Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Might be too much cardio. I know that sounds crazy, but when you do long periods of cardio (over an hour a day) your body can start to destroy muscle to fuel the long workouts, espeically if you are eating low calorie to begin with. This muscle destruction can lower your metabolism.

Try switching to high intensity interval training, weights / strength training, or mixing these things with the cardio.

I do a lot better on weight training than heavy cardio - but I'm a guy. I'm sure there are some women out there whose bodies react similarly.

This too!! Reduce cardio and do some strength training! It will do wonders for a woman's body!