Are energy protein bars useful?

Options
I was always taught that bars like multipower and similar are just chocolate or vanilla bars with a lot of calories, and that it is the same for example as a snickers bar (but that was way nefore I startes working out). Now I know tjat I need the additional proteins, and yesterday I tried the multipower vanilla-crisp 32% protein bar after a workout and I loved it. 35g had only 114 calories.
What I want do know is if it is recomendable to eat them, how often are we to eat them. Somehow I felt a bit guilty because it tasted like real chocolate :/ What kind is the best? But I dont mean the label, but what should I look for in a bar when buying one? More than 30% of protein? And what is with the carbs from the bar? There is a lot of carbs im there. Is it good as a post workout snack to help the muscles?
Thanks for ur answers guys!

Replies

• bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I got one once, made by powerbar. Called "protein plus" or something. I (after eating it) noticed that it had 19 grams of sugar. Holy cow, I might as well have eaten a milky way!!!!! Lol
  • 2getgeorge
    2getgeorge Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    they have their uses. real food is always better.
    I eat them too. you just have to look at the nutrition labels to see the ingredients. a lot of them do have a lot of sugar. I like hammer nutrition bars, kashi bars, nugo bars, optimum protein diet bars (0 sugar 23 sugar alcohols), balance bar and cliff bars (high sugar)

when in a pinch, they are easy.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    I once made a mistake of eating a protein bar that has 25g of sugar! Then about 2 hours later I started to feel shaky & weak.

I think protein bars are only good post workout meal after a weight lifting session to make up for the lost glycogen in the muscles but otherwise just stick to real foods.