As I lose weight

AlyssasMommy
AlyssasMommy Posts: 191
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
As I lose weight I am guessing that my nutritional needs will change. Will MFP change my settings automatically or will I have to calculate everything again? Also, If I have to change it manually, how often do I need to change it? Hope this made sense......:tongue:

Replies

• courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    It does it for you so you don't have to worry!! Those calorie cuts suck though :grumble:
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    If you click on the "My Home" tab, then go to "Check In", you enter in your current weight, it will adjust accordingly.
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Every 10 pounds you lose MFP will prompt you to re-evaluate and set your goals, which may or may not change your settings as far as calories per day.

Hope that answers your question! :flowerforyou:
  • Thanks guys! Good to know. How many calories usually drop off at a time??? Kinda makes me nervous.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    It does it for you so you don't have to worry!! Those calorie cuts suck though :grumble:

DITTO

It was soooo easy when I first started, now i guess i have to work a little harder! :smokin:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Thanks guys! Good to know. How many calories usually drop off at a time??? Kinda makes me nervous.

AS you get closer to your goal, your calories will start upping to prepare you to maintain. They will not drop.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Thanks guys! Good to know. How many calories usually drop off at a time??? Kinda makes me nervous.

AS you get closer to your goal, your calories will start upping to prepare you to maintain. They will not drop.

They never upped mine. :grumble: Every 10 pounds they'd take them away, (after congratulating me first! :laugh: ) I never saw any calories come back, and I even reached my goal!
    I'm undecided about losing a few more though, so I haven't tried figuring out maintenance. Maybe THAT'S when they would up them?
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member

Not in my experience. Every 10 lbs or so you lose, it takes calories away from you. (like 10 or 20, I forget now. It's been that long . . . ) If you want to start upping your calories as you get closer to maintenance, you have to manually re-evaluate your goals. Just my experience.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Well, that is backwards.

Maintenance calories should be more than you take in while you are losing...............
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Well, that is backwards.

Maintenance calories should be more than you take in while you are losing...............

that is accurate
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    go 'home' click 'goals' then add your deficit to your daily cal intake and that should be your maintenance
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    or change your weightloss goal to "maintenance"
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    [They never upped mine. :grumble: Every 10 pounds they'd take them away, (after congratulating me first! :laugh: ) I never got congratulated ????????
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    [They never upped mine. :grumble: Every 10 pounds they'd take them away, (after congratulating me first! :laugh: ) I never got congratulated ????????

Hmm, I wonder why you didn't?! I sure did, every 10 pounds! The congrats was nice, but then BAM, I'd have LESS cals, etc. to work with! :grumble: So, then I'd have to get in MORE exercise, since I DO like to eat! :laugh:
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member

I haven't gotten to my second set, but after the first 10 my calories stayed exactly the same. Maybe it will change when I hit 20.

I end up getting the "congrats, now re-set your goals" prompt every pound since I hit 10. Anyone else get this or know how to make it quiet until I hit 20? lol
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    One thing to keep in mind though, while MFP will change your nutritional needs to fit your weight, it will NOT change your goals for your.

So remember, when you start moving out of one category, you should adjust your goals. (I.E. someone who was formerly obese, but is now just overweight, shouldn't still be at the same goal).
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member

I haven't gotten to my second set, but after the first 10 my calories stayed exactly the same. Maybe it will change when I hit 20.

I end up getting the "congrats, now re-set your goals" prompt every pound since I hit 10. Anyone else get this or know how to make it quiet until I hit 20? lol

Go to my home. Click "goals" It will show you your current goals. Click "change goals" You can click either "custom" or "guided"
    If you select guided, it will re-adjust your calories for your new weight but it will also adjust you macronutrients. So, if you want your macronutrients other than the MFP standard 55% carbs/15% protein/30% fat, using guided to set your calorie goal and then use custom to readjust your macronutrient goals.:flowerforyou:
  • jojogirl
    jojogirl Posts: 99
    When I reached my goal, I clicked the button to maintain and my calories went up accordingly. I was on LOSE 1/2 LB a week before that. Now MORE calories...
    M
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    I never got congratulated either.:laugh:
This discussion has been closed.