GPS Watch?

Options
Hey everyone out there!

I am on my 5th week of running and am finally to the point where i want to start training for some 5k's and eventually a 10k. I am really interested in getting a GPS wrist watch/thing with a HRM but i don't know where to start. I looked at Garmin's website and it looks like they are the top dogs in this market but I have also seen some nice ones from Nike and Timex. I wanted to get some opinions from y'all to see what you use/recommend.

Thanks,

MIke

Replies

• MissNordicLight
    MissNordicLight Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin Forerunner 610, I love it!!! I bought it last September and use it several times a week.
    There are two things that I'd like to see improved;
    - you cannot lock the touch screen during a workout. This is not an issue when running, but when I do strength training sometimes the kettlebell touches the watch and changes the screen.
    - the notification of the battery life is not done in time, if you have the GPS on and you get the 'low battery' message you'll only have another half an hour before the watch is dead. (the workout you're doing is saved though).

Yes, it was expensive, but it's beautiful and easy to use. Have a look at Garmin Connect, the web site were you log all your data.
  • Daz999
    Daz999 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I Have a Garmin Forerunner 405. Some people have trouble with the touch bezel, but you can lock it anytime. I don't look at my watch too much while running anyway, but the intervals are nice to have for speed work. I haven't had any trouble with it, except once with the same battery issue mentioned by MissNordicLig about the 610, without warning it just stopped mid-run.
  • Grizzly_Mike
    Options
    Thank you both for the Garmin reviews. i will definitely take them into consideration when i go to buy one.