Controlled carb, high protein diet

Options
Hi all

No response to my last post yet :-/ so i'll try again!! That's the point with this weight loss journey right? ;) keep going!!

I'm eating a controlled carb, high protein diet - trying to get rid of the weight which just seems to stick and become healthy.

Looking for people with similar goals to add do we can all motivate each other, helpful friendly comments, motivate on the food by checking diaries, exercise, share blogs, any great recipies or superfoods, motivational pics... Whatever!!

Anyone out there?

Cc. Xx

Replies

• BecciJG
    BecciJG Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi, Im also trying to stick to low carb, high protein and trying hard to shift these last few lbs as well as toning up through strength training. Feel free to add me if you like.x
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome to MfP, You can add me for mutual motivation and support. I eat a carbs/fat/protein ratio of 40%/20%/40%, but I try to keep the protein higher than the carbs. I have lost 40 lbs and I am near to my gaol.

KC :flowerforyou:
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I've also lost around 40 lbs on a low carb diet. For some reason I think this is easier for men than women. At lease in my case the weight really goes off quickly when I avoid bread, pasta, rice, etc...

I'm near my goal, now more interested in the exercise. But I've kept my low carb lifestyle. Although I do eat sushi regularly... ;-)

Happy to provide additional motivation if you need it.

--Prahasaurus
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Due to intestinal bypass surgery I have malabsorption problems. I am supposed to be on a low carb, high protein diet, but it is so hard to adhere to. I love my carbs. But I am trying to stick with it so I don't lose muscle. I need as much protein as I can, which I don't like meat very well I have to find alternatives to meat. Please feel free to add me so that we can motivate one another. My name is Kimberlee, 48.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm a low carber, Not sure I would say high protein though - around 70g/day currently which is in the 25-30% of calories zone.
  • glenavonkate
    glenavonkate Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    That sounds a bit like the CSIRO diet I have just started - high protein, moderate carbs (none for dinner). I'm looking for friends too...
  • MashaSK
    MashaSK Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Add me, I am trying to get carbs from veggies, fruits and nuts...well Trying, not there yet!
  • talamer
    talamer Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Add me, I am trying to get carbs from veggies, fruits and nuts...well Trying, not there yet!

Well I'm trying also! still didn't success! Hope I can eat more veggies, fruits and nuts during my day!!

Feel free to add me as well :)
  • chelll224
    chelll224 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm doing low carb, I've got my ratios set to 15/35/55, carbs/protein/fat. So far so good!
  • ksizzle911
    ksizzle911 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I do a very high protein, low carb diet. I follow the guidelines of the 17 Day Diet which says to never eat carbs past a certain time. I work night shift, so I try and not eat carbs for the last meal of the day (usually around 3am for me) and I go to bed around 7am. I've heard that not eating 4 hours before bedtime, including carbs can have a dramatic effect on weight loss. I've done really well doing this plan so far. Feel free to add me if you'd like! =)
  • bazfitness
    bazfitness Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome to MfP, You can add me for mutual motivation and support. I eat a carbs/fat/protein ratio of 40%/20%/40%, but I try to keep the protein higher than the carbs. I have lost 40 lbs and I am near to my gaol.

KC :flowerforyou:

Coincidentally I just changed my macros to exactly this today. Have been gradually increasing my protein intake as have become more convinced, the more I read, from the people and sites I respect, that high protein is important if you want to build muscle and/or maintain muscle while losing weight. Also started Insanity on Monday and it's so tough I need all the protein and nutrition I can get I reckon.

I eat plenty of fruit , nuts and veg throughout the day. I cut out bread early on in this diet and most processed food, especially cakes and chocolate. So that alone has reduced my carb intake and certainly in the first couple of months had success in losing weight. I'm considering decreasing stodgy carbs further, might need to do this now anyway to fit my new macros. Past few weeks have plateaued somewhat but then again have not been actively looking to lose weight so much. Just concentrating more on fitness, and doing Insanity to hopefully improve my cholesterol levels (via HIIT), which are bad, and hopefully reducing body fat, if I lose weight fine, if I maintain that's fine too.

Anyway good to see people in this thread like-minded - feel free to add me also if you like :)
  • soulynyc
    soulynyc Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    you can add me. sorry didn't see your post before! i am doing 75 grams of carbs, 160-180 grams of protein. not really on any low carb diet .. i just watch my intake. i just started doing this . i think this is my second week or so.
  • ellesbelles57
    ellesbelles57 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I tried a slow carb diet for a while (4 hour body by Tim Ferris) but didn't suit me as I found it hugely restrictive when out of the house. I am trying however to cut down carbs generally and always looking for motivation and inspiration!
  • mrob81
    mrob81 Posts: 36
    Options
    I just adjusted my diet to lower my complex carbs and up my protein intake. I am taking fruit and veggies for most of my daily carb needs. Add me so we can keep an eye on each other!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Quick question (maybe controversial). Those of you who count your carbs, do you count total carbs or net carbs (total carbs minus fiber)?
  • wcasie
    wcasie Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Quick question (maybe controversial). Those of you who count your carbs, do you count total carbs or net carbs (total carbs minus fiber)?

Hi! There is a lot of mixed opinions on this out there. Here is my take and remember this is just me. I do not subtract the fiber from my carbs, I am a type 1 diabetic meaning i have to take insulin to cover the amt of carbs I eat. When I subtract the fiber from the total carbs and use that number to calculate my insulin dose, then test my blood sugar later it is always higher than if I take insulin for the whole carb amt. So this tells me that my body doesn't not take fiber into account. does that make sense?
  • VenomousDuck
    VenomousDuck Posts: 206
    Options
    Just a note about what I am doing...
    60% fat, 30% Protein, 10% carb, 1500 cals/day

Don't be afraid to eat fat! It keeps you feeling full, it doesn't trigger an insulin response, and excess protein can be converted to glucose.

Just advice from what is working for me, take it or leave it. I know so many people are afraid to eat fat.

Have fun and find what works for you!

-Duck
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Im in a place where my calories, exercise and diet are very stable so i can tweak to try various things 'scientifically'

I can say that low carb , high carb , low fat , high fat has no bearing. Its simply calories in = weight.

Too many cals you get fat

The correct ammount you stay same

Up to 500 under maintain every day and you will lose a pound for every 3600 under

Eat less than 500 and you wont lose cos you go into starvation .... Or more realisticaly your actual average will shoot up because you will pig out.

Ive tried them all . Tried to be objective .. But its all about cals and low this and high this and that are just 'tricks' to get you to stick to the correct cals
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options

Hi! There is a lot of mixed opinions on this out there. Here is my take and remember this is just me. I do not subtract the fiber from my carbs, I am a type 1 diabetic meaning i have to take insulin to cover the amt of carbs I eat. When I subtract the fiber from the total carbs and use that number to calculate my insulin dose, then test my blood sugar later it is always higher than if I take insulin for the whole carb amt. So this tells me that my body doesn't not take fiber into account. does that make sense?

Yes, makes great sense. Thanks for responding. Good to hear from someone who has to medically manage their carbs.

m60kaf - I agree that there are different ways to gain or maintain a weight goal. For me personally, other than some health reasons, it also helps me control my processed sugar/junk food cravings. I am an all or nothing person, so just cutting out the excessive grains, not overdoing fruit but instead doing more vegs, and counting carbs is a way to keep my "carb addiction" under control. So far it works. When it stops working, I will try something else ;)