Excercise Bike Workouts...

Options
jonski1968
jonski1968 Posts: 4,498 Member
Hi all....Just bought a excercise bike and was wondering whats the best way to use it..Ie stick a cd on and pedal like crazy...or invest in a training dvd...

Replies

• LondonEliza
    LondonEliza Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I watch catch-up TV on mine, ensuring my heart rate is 130-150 and train for 45-75 mins at a time.
  • jonski1968
    Options
    Cheers London....Looks like thats what i`m gonna be doing then..
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile:
    I watch catch-up TV on mine, ensuring my heart rate is 130-150 and train for 45-75 mins at a time.

SNAP the time goes very fast!! :)
  • AmyB69
    AmyB69 Posts: 117
    Options
    I satrted using mine in January. I watch some dvr'd shows and pedal very vigorously (according to MFP logging) for 60-90 minutes 6-7 days a week and hit goal almost 3 weeks ago.. I love it!
  • LondonEliza
    Options
    Sorry that was not the most complete answer (I typed it on the bike :):)

I work out on the bike 6 times a week to bank calories for my meals (I LOVE my food)

Roughly my workouts go like this to fit around my life:

Mon - 45 mins - heartrate 140+ most of the time
    Tues - 60 mins - heartrate 130+ most of the time
    Wed - 45 mins - heartrate 140+ most of the time
    Thurs - 60 mins heartrate 130+ most of the time
    Fri - 60 mins + whatever time I fell short during the week heartrate 130-150 most of the time
    Sat - Rest (or housework as it is known)
    Sun - 30 mins high intensity - 145+ most of the time

I try to work on endurance and strength in this way. It also means that off the bike I spend less time looking at the TV because if there is something I want to see, I save it for my bike time. Associating the bike with TV was one of the best favours I did myself.
  • jonski1968
    Options
    Thanks for your replies...:bigsmile:
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Google "spinervals".

These workouts will kick yer butt!
  • gecho
    gecho Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nlawing
    nlawing Posts: 36
    Options
    I like to do a short HIIT workout on my bike.

4 minute warm-up
    Stretch
    For 20 minutes do an interval for each minute (45 seconds low/mid intensity, then for 15 seconds raise the magnetic resistance a few levels and go 100%)
    2 minute cooldown

Very effective and challenging exercise for only 20 minutes. It's also variable, if you want more of a challenge, try a 40/20 interval, go higher on the resistance, or go longer.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    There are a few great workout DVD's out there but you'll wanna go get a map test done so you can accurately figure out heart rate zones. But dude, why the *kitten* aren't you riding outside???
  • LondonEliza
    Options
    There are a few great workout DVD's out there but you'll wanna go get a map test done so you can accurately figure out heart rate zones. But dude, why the *kitten* aren't you riding outside???

Derrrr..... why do you think I don't?!? Cos I don't want to be arrested for riding down the road with the laptop balanced on the handlebars whilst watching '2 broke girls'

:):)
  • jonski1968
    Options

A) I don`t have a road bike.
    B) I live in the Uk and spend half my working day outside in the rain.
    C) I`m housebound...My wife doesn`t let me out.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options

Excuses, excuses........
  • LondonEliza
    Options

Excuses, excuses........

No excuses here, all I see is someone who had accepted he cannot go on a bike one way so had figured out another way to do it. Fair dues to him.

Nothing wrong with an exercise bike at all, you are still lapping those sitting on the sofa doing nothing by MILES.

Just because you do something your way does in no way make it the one and only right way. Getting fitter is all about finding what is do-able and achievable for you and doing it.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I just hook up my phone (my bike has built in speakers) and use my music. I vary the rhythms to vary the intensity. Seems to work. :)
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I set my hrm to beat if I get out of my 130-170 bpm goal. Than I read =]
  • Laurenx3nyc
    Laurenx3nyc Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you are going fast then 20 on the bike. Keeping a steady pace for 20-45 minutes will increase your cardio!!
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    because if there is something I want to see, I save it for my bike time. Associating the bike with TV was one of the best favours I did myself.

That's AWESOME!
  • jonski1968
    Options

Excuses, excuses........

Lol...to me...its all about enjoyability...Getting pissed wet through aint so enjoyable..But i see where your coming from..
  • littlemoonsandy
    littlemoonsandy Posts: 1,930
    Options

Excuses, excuses........

No excuses here, all I see is someone who had accepted he cannot go on a bike one way so had figured out another way to do it. Fair dues to him.

Nothing wrong with an exercise bike at all, you are still lapping those sitting on the sofa doing nothing by MILES.

Just because you do something your way does in no way make it the one and only right way. Getting fitter is all about finding what is do-able and achievable for you and doing it.

:drinker: