Atkins style dieting

Options
13»

Replies

• Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options
    Would that be our Neolithic ancestors with a life expectancy of 20?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy#Life_expectancy_variation_over_time

That's a fallacious argument. Can you directly correlate their life expectancy to their diet? What about lack of dental, medical and societal welfare, as well as lack of protection from predators, disease, infection, and aggression from your own kind? I think that a modern man, put in a neolithic society, but given a bottomless cave full of bread to eat, would also be lucky to live past 20.

Now wait a minute - it wasn't me that used the eating habits of ancestors from long ago to prove their argument

The statement was 'If you needed carbs to live, poor Grok (from neolithic times) with his leaves and buffalo would have never made it to adulthood to beget, eventually, us.' ..... Used to back up the 'no need for carbs' argument

I replied with "Actually he didn't often make it to adulthood!" Thus negating the 'proof'

I can't correlate their life expectancy to their diet, just as you can't assume it wasn't

But you can't say "You need carbs to live because cavemen often didn't live to adulthood" because many DID, and unless someone was farming wheat, they didn't live on our crazy high carb diets.
  • katysmelly
    katysmelly Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Do you mean every single TASTY carb has gluten? Because there are plenty of good carbs that are not made with wheat. :)
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    There's a gluten-free group on here actually... It's not that bad once you get the hang of it. And there are LOTS of great tasting, easy to make recipes, especially if you can eat things like meat and tofu. I'm gluten sensitive and can make suggestions / recommendations for stuff. Feel free to send a friend request of private message if you need help. :)
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    x- weight watcher girl. love low carb. i am gluten free also. i lost a lot of weight on atkins-style and now do more paleo (my own version as i do indulge in gf treats here and there like corn chips)
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_expectancy#Life_expectancy_variation_over_time

That's a fallacious argument. Can you directly correlate their life expectancy to their diet? What about lack of dental, medical and societal welfare, as well as lack of protection from predators, disease, infection, and aggression from your own kind? I think that a modern man, put in a neolithic society, but given a bottomless cave full of bread to eat, would also be lucky to live past 20.

Now wait a minute - it wasn't me that used the eating habits of ancestors from long ago to prove their argument

The statement was 'If you needed carbs to live, poor Grok (from neolithic times) with his leaves and buffalo would have never made it to adulthood to beget, eventually, us.' ..... Used to back up the 'no need for carbs' argument

I replied with "Actually he didn't often make it to adulthood!" Thus negating the 'proof'

I can't correlate their life expectancy to their diet, just as you can't assume it wasn't

But you can't say "You need carbs to live because cavemen often didn't live to adulthood" because many DID, and unless someone was farming wheat, they didn't live on our crazy high carb diets.

I didn't say they needed carbs to live.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Would 300g+ of carbs be considered high carb?
  • afcgirl
    afcgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Atkins style for at least five years and I am in the best shape of my life (even pre-kids). I stopped binge eating and I feel great.

I am LESS irritable when I eat low carb, no sugar mood swings and no depression.

Also, I do not gain weight any faster when I go off plan than I do on any other diet. Yes I will gain back a few lbs of water weight quickly when I start eating unhealthy but that is true for weight watchers and every other diet I have tried. When I go back on plan it then comes off quickly.

There is a lot of misinformation on MFP about Atkins. Not sure why people get so riled up about it sometimes. :huh: Keep in mind that ever since nutritionists started promoting low fat diets, the American people have gotten even fatter and type 2 diabetes is through the roof.

Also if you are doing Atkins correctly, then you are eating carbs. It is not a no-carb plan, it is a low carb plan. Veggies and salads are encouraged, and later so are some fruits and other "good carbs".

Remember it is a way of life, not a diet. While I mostly eat low carb, of course I have bread and other "cheats" on occasion. I try to limit it to a weekend night or a special occasion. Some people avoid them altogether if they are particularly carb sensitive. See what works for you.

Good luck!

Edited to add: My bloodwork (e.g., cholesterol) has actually improved on Atkins. It was always good but now it is even better. And I had a heart healthy check up which came back perfect.
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Atkins style for at least five years and I am in the best shape of my life (even pre-kids). I stopped binge eating and I feel great.

I am LESS irritable when I eat low carb, no sugar mood swings and no depression.

Also, I do not gain weight any faster when I go off plan than I do on any other diet. Yes I will gain back a few lbs of water weight quickly when I start eating unhealthy but that is true for weight watchers and every other diet I have tried. When I go back on plan it then comes off quickly.

There is a lot of misinformation on MFP about Atkins. Not sure why people get so riled up about it sometimes. :huh: Keep in mind that ever since nutritionists started promoting low fat diets, the American people have gotten even fatter.

Also if you are doing Atkins correctly, then you are eating carbs. It is not a no-carb plan, it is a low carb plan. Veggies and salads are encouraged, and later so are some fruits and other "good carbs".

Remember it is a way of life, not a diet. While I mostly eat low carb, of course I have bread and other "cheats" on occasion. I try to limit it to a weekend night or a special occasion. Some people avoid them altogether if they are particularly carb sensitive. See what works for you.

Good luck!

This is great! Also you can research Dr. Mary Vernon and Dr. Steven Phinney. I know that Dr. Vernon practiced low carb with her patients, and herself, and they came off all of their diabetes medication and high blood pressure medicine, and lost the weight too!
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

There is a lot of misinformation on MFP about Atkins. Not sure why people get so riled up about it sometimes. :huh: Keep in mind that ever since nutritionists started promoting low fat diets, the American people have gotten even fatter.

Good luck!

This is great! Also you can research Dr. Mary Vernon and Dr. Steven Phinney. I know that Dr. Vernon practiced low carb with her patients, and herself, and they came off all of their diabetes medication and high blood pressure medicine, and lost the weight too!
    (Sorry, did not mean to post this on your actual quote afcgirl!!!!!