Kitty Litter As A Weight Loss Tool?

Options
I have been walking at Target and Wal-Mart for several weeks because it is way too hot for me to walk outside. I just get a basket and walk briskly for 30-45 minutes. Sometimes you have to stop or slow down briefly because of actual customers who are SHOPPING!!! :noway: But all in all, considering I wouldn't walk at all if I had to do it outside and the nearest Mall is 30 minutes away, I feel like it is a decent exercise/activity. Especially since 6 months ago I couldn't even shop at those stores because of the pain in my knees and the shortness of breath.

Today I wanted to do something a little "extra" so I put two 28 pound buckets of Kitty Litter And two 25 pound bags of Kitty Litter in my basket and walked for 40 minutes. According to another web site, at my weight shopping with a cart burns 182 Calories. Pushing a wheelchair burns 317 Calories in 40 minutes. pushing a stroller for 40 minutes burns 198 Calories. Since 106 would be the weight of a small adult, does it seem reasonable to count 300 Calories for todays walk? :heart:

:blushing: The only (slightly) ackward moment happened when a lady asked me if Target was having a sale on KItty Litter.:laugh:

Replies

• astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    :laugh: What a scream!! You are very creative!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I was a bit scared to click on this one. lol
  • Landon669
    Options
    The topic subject didn't sound too appatizing, so I'm glad to hear you are pushing it in a cart!!
    Getting a HRM will let you know exactly how many cals you are burning. For now, you may just want to split the difference in the two. I would think that would be close.
    Congrats on the progress you've acheived so far. You are heading in the right direction! I worked at Walmart about 12 years ago and aroun 5-5:30am the walkers showed up enough that they marked a track with distances on the floor. Don't know if any places do that anymore.
    Landon
    P.S. Better have a back-up plan if it does go on sale!! May have to move up to dog food.
  • HeatherMMB
    Options
    great idea!! way to go!:bigsmile:

(and thank goodness it wasn't anything like I thought I migh be!:laugh: )
  • jellybean747
    Options
    I have to applaud you for your creativeness...I would have never thought of that! And I'm the one who always makes the excuse "walk when it's weather permitting" I cant make that one anymore.
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    I think this should get the MFP creativity award of the day! I am loving this post! you made my day! Proof there are no excuses! you will reach your goal in no time with that kind of determination!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    that is so cool and I am very proud of you for being creative and not making excuses!!

I went with DH to grocery shop one day. I had not worked out so I picked up a half gallon jugs of juice in each hand and pumped throughout the store

Dh wont go shopping with me any more:ohwell:

:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Jeannie
  • faithjobes
    faithjobes Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i think it's great you walk at target and walmart when it's so hot outside! It definately beats no exercise. you could also try walking in a school. I personally would go with pushing a wheelchair. A small child weighs 50 lbs. (my five yr old is 50 +) and I can't even push him in a stroller for long. lol My daughter is 25 lbs (that's only one bag of kitty litter!) and i get quite a workout pushing her around. Good luck! Keep it up!
  • RecliningFigure
    RecliningFigure Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Great idea. I actually have to get some kitty litter, so maybe from now on I'll get that first, walk around for 30 minutes.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I was a bit scared to click on this one. lol

haha me too!!!
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    great idea~
  • qqqqqqqqqqqqqqq
    Options
    :laugh: Great and innovative idea, LJ!! That is great exercise. I am glad you have Target and Walmart nearby to walk in when it is hot or cold. Usually after I go to Curves I then go to Walmart to shop and walk around since it is across the parking lot from Curves. I live about 20 minutes from both stores. Keep us posted for new exercise ideas you might come up with and good luck with your workouts. :heart:
  • twirlingangel
    Options
    How creative is that?? Way cool! You are an inspiration to us all!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    How creative is that?? Way cool! You are an inspiration to us all!

I ditto this comment-that's awesome!