Help! I got adult dental braces: what can i eat ???

Options
natalie1
natalie1 Posts: 180 Member
Hi everybody! I was with you daily for about a year- lost just 7lbs :mad: I gave up and have not been on that website for about 4 months- gain all 7lbs back :embarassed: :embarassed:
Today I've got full mouth of metal brackets and hooks and wires...i am not supposed to eat anything healthy: no carrots, no apples, no nuts, no "fiber one" bars, no raw hard vegies... I shouldn't eat anything sticky , no pizza, no bagels, ... No gum (to calm sugar cravings) of course
Did anybody had adult braces? is there something healthy you can recommend that worked for you or your kids?
I am a HUGE meat-fish-chicken eater. I NEED to have some protein at EVERY meal.
I am considering "Slim-fast" meal replacements but I know that I NEED to have my fibers>

Replies

• courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Are they the same as kid braces? Because I ate everythingggg that I wasn't supposed to except apples, corn on the cob, and really sticky candy (like taffy). Eat what you will....the only thing you have to worry about is cleaning the food out of your braces :tongue: and they make special toothpick plastic things in the dental section of walmart that work perfectly for that purpose!

And why no pizza and bagels??
  • Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Oh my Im have to get adult braces....:noway: :noway: havent thought about that at all:grumble:
  • rsabey
    rsabey Posts: 14
    Options
    I had braces as an adult too. I too ate most anything I wanted and I have to agree that cleaning is the most important thing. You might want to think about getting a Water Pic or such.

When they are sore (after tightening) soups, eggs, jello and pudding are good. Make yourself a nice fruit smoothy with your favorite fruits!!

Good luck!!
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I had braces at 22 and I chewed gum and ate popcorn and had no problems at all....you just really have to floss with the popcorn and every now and then your gum will get caught on the sides of the metal in the back but you learn how to chew around it. NO BUBBLES ! 2 years no bubbles is probably why I know pop like crazy!:laugh:
    oh and cottage cheese for protien is just as good as meat:drinker: ...and you can still eat meat too! Its just the first could of days after getting them and getting them tightened that will hurt and you wont be able to eat certain stuff, but dont worry, you'll see as you go you can eat way more than the orthodontist says!:flowerforyou:
  • prayerfulmom
    Options
    i was a vegetarian. Ate all the hard veggies and fruits. Did not eat gum or chewey candy. Never lost a bracket or broke a wire=)
  • jojogirl
    jojogirl Posts: 99
    Options
    Just had mine removed!! I had metal then I went to the plastic brackets, the plastic brackets were a worry for me but I ate anything I wanted to really, I was just careful. I had cut apples, pizza, and I even had gum every so often.
    A waterpik is a good investment for sure...
    Just be careful
    M
  • natalie1
    Options
    One more thing: only my front 6 teeth on the top and 6 on the bottom are touching through some bite plate. All my back teeth had been separated (top from the bottom) and will remain in no contact probably for 12months :laugh: :laugh: The idea is to let my back teeth to "grow" longer and to meet in the new position eventually :drinker:
    So, I really CAN't chew even if I would want to cheat...
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    One more thing: only my front 6 teeth on the top and 6 on the bottom are touching through some bite plate. All my back teeth had been separated (top from the bottom) and will remain in no contact probably for 12months :laugh: :laugh: The idea is to let my back teeth to "grow" longer and to meet in the new position eventually :drinker:

I would have to go with the fruit/veg smoothie option in that case. You could put tofu, protein powder, greek yogurt, or cottage cheese in it for protein. I hope you adjust to your new normal soon :flowerforyou:
  • jaf5377
    jaf5377 Posts: 1
    Options
    I just got my braces off about a year ago and i am 25. They recomend that you don't eat those things... but i always did. The only things i didnt eat were gum and sticky foods like taffy or fruit roll ups ect. Just make sure you break off the food... then put it in the back of your mouth... your molers are your strongest teeth so you will be fine. And take smaller bites. . . I never had any broken wires or brackets. Any questions let me know! :)
  • natalie1
    Options
  • natalie1
    Options
    my back teeth are NOT touching :bigsmile:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    You could always make some healthy fruit and veggie shakes. If you're thinking of going the Slim Fast route, you'd probably be better off looking into healthy home made shakes.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    My husband has braces currently, and his teeth don't line up. Every time he has them re-positioned he is in a lot of pain. I cook a lot of scrambled eggs, omlets and toast with cream cheese. He also eat oatmeal, apples cut up, cottage cheese and fruit... I cook meats in a crockpot with soup so they are really soft and easy to eat. Put them with rice, and it is a great meal.

Hope this helps. Good Luck.:ohwell:
  • natalie1
    Options
    Thank you :bigsmile:
  • awinmac
    awinmac Posts: 30
    Options
    Hi
    That sounds really uncomfortable!
    Protein Shakes (protein powder, milk or milk sub (soy, rice etc), ground flax seed (you can mill it very fine in a coffee grinder), banana and any fruit without seeds like peeled peaches or atulfo mango (stay away from reg mangoes as they are very fibrous), add some greens plus for extra energy and a little tsp of flax oil and off you go. There isn't much healthier than that. There are recipes for them in lots of diet and exercise books, you can even get instant mixes but check the ingredients.
    Stay away from those premixed cans of ensure and stuff they are full of additives and preservatives.
    Best of luck
    -Amber
  • Learning2LoveMe
    Learning2LoveMe Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I don't know if its the same as kid braces, but I had braces for 4 years when I was a kid. I still ate apples, carrots, corn, some candy (not hard sticky stuff though - like caramel). You just have to adjust how you eat it... corn - not on the cobb, apple slices, chopped carrots. =)
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    My braces came off a year ago. At first I just couldn't eat things like sandwiches or hamburgers. Mostly anything I had to bit into. But after that I ate anything, except corn on the cob because it would get all stuck and was a pain to get out. I tried not to bite hard candy cause the first time I bit into a peppermint i broke a bracket.
  • parrotlover
    parrotlover Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    i had braces/etc almost my whole childhood! The only thing i did was avoid really chewy candy, candy apples, corn on the cob (but i just took a knife and cut all the corn off the cob and ate it fresh anyway). The most important thing as mentioned above is CLEANING!!!! Don't worry so much you can each most things just be careful and clean well! :)
  • natalie1
    Options
    Than you everybody :flowerforyou: I bought "magic bullet" grinder-mixer today, so I should be OK now:bigsmile:
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I had braces for 5 years! and I second the above poster when she mentioned getting a water pic...I was happy to discover I had zero cavities after 5 years...I was worried. Spend a good deal of time cleaning those chicklets...and you can eat anything...just don't bite into things like apples, cut them up and eat them, cutting food into smaller pieces will prevent your brackets from breaking off...I learned the hard way :ohwell: