TDEE - 500 or 1200 Im so confused!

Options
I started using MFP 11 days ago. I need to lose 50 pounds. I have never dieted or exercised before. I have started counting calories using MFP and using an elliptical trainer 30 minutes a day (for now) Id like to reach 45 mins or even 60. The confusion is after reading on the internet and on the mfp website is should i be trying to stay at 1200 calories a day as mfp has told me to do when i set my goals originally or should i subtract 500 from my TDEE. I just want to lose weight and do it in a healthy way and am just totally confused as to how many calories i should be eating every day. Any help is sooo appreciated. My BMR is 1401 and my TDEE is 2172. Thanks

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Everybody is different, but generally speaking, you want to experiment between 80-90% of your TDEE. That range for you would then be 1737 to 1954. Start off with the lower end to see how your body responds to daily demands for a few days and adjust accordingly. I'm not a fan of recommending people go at or below their BMR because for many it doesn't provide enough calories according to daily demands and can stall your metabolism/progress.
  • TonyaBtrfly
    TonyaBtrfly Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    thanks! I reset m daily goal to 1600 and plan on eating back my exercise calories.
  • BabyLeila23
    BabyLeila23 Posts: 410
    Options
    That's what I do exactly actually :) I eat 1600 calories a day and then try to add about 200 calories for workouts :)