Eating to much Fruit

Options
2»

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I have an opinion on this:

1) If your fruit intake is causing you to go over your calorie or macronutrient targets for the day, you are probably eating too much fruit.
    2) If you have any insulin related medical conditions that would require you to limit your fruit consumption, you are possibly consuming too much fruit.
    3) If you are able to hit your calorie and macronutrient targets for the day BUT your excessive fruit consumption causes you to neglect other minerals/micronutrients due to your spending too much of your calorie budget on fruit, you might be consuming too much fruit although this wouldn't effect your weight loss.

Other than that, eat your fruit, and I wouldn't worry too much about sugar consumption assuming you're tracking your intake, you have normal insulin function, and you're using some common sense with food selection.

See here:
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I have an opinion on this:

1) If your fruit intake is causing you to go over your calorie or macronutrient targets for the day, you are probably eating too much fruit.
    2) If you have any insulin related medical conditions that would require you to limit your fruit consumption, you are possibly consuming too much fruit.
    3) If you are able to hit your calorie and macronutrient targets for the day BUT your excessive fruit consumption causes you to neglect other minerals/micronutrients due to your spending too much of your calorie budget on fruit, you might be consuming too much fruit although this wouldn't effect your weight loss.

Other than that, eat your fruit, and I wouldn't worry too much about sugar consumption assuming you're tracking your intake, you have normal insulin function, and you're using some common sense with food selection.

See here:
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

This is the correct answer.

In fact, you could replace the word "fruit" with any other food item and it would still apply.
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Depends on the fruit and how your body handles it. I tend to eat fruit as a dessert and stick to berries or organic apples. Fruit in general is grown to be much larger and sweeter now than it was naturally. Locally grown, in season fruit is best. Some fruits have much more sugar than others. MFP does come with a very low sugar setting, I am always over and eat very little sugar, but I just ignore it because I go by carbs.
  • alinakaras
    alinakaras Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem - I eat 2 portions of fruit with my breakfast (blueberries and strawberries), then an apple before lunch (I've noticed I then eat less for lunch) and then perhaps another piece in the afternoon/evening. My sugar level is always so high and it really annoys me because there is no way I will stop eating fruit altogether. I tried hiding my sugar intake on MFP but then I do want to track how much sugar I eat in general.

Annoying!
    So why don't you just change your goal for sugar if it annoys you so much?

I don't know what should be my daily goal in that case - every website and every person claims differently what your healthy goal should be. Any advice are more than welcome!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    yes. Fruits contain a lot of sugar. Try cutting our fruit intake in half and see how that affects your weight loss. You can sub with protein or veg.

Sigh
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I don't know what should be my daily goal in that case - every website and every person claims differently what your healthy goal should be. Any advice are more than welcome!

I have an opinion on this.

One option would be to not worry about it, BUT keep in mind your effort to consume "mostly" whole and nutrient dense foods.

Right way: Lots of fruit, vegetables, fish, chicken, meat, nuts, etc etc etc, and on occasional treat when you want to.
    Wrong way: Donuts, Cakes, Ice Cream, and an occasional vegetable.

Both can give you weight loss given a calorie deficit, but it should go without saying that one method is superior for health and body composition.

In other words, just keep making good food choices and hit your cals/macros and pick up some weights and don't worry about the rest.
  • alinakaras
    alinakaras Posts: 51 Member
    Options

I have an opinion on this.

One option would be to not worry about it, BUT keep in mind your effort to consume "mostly" whole and nutrient dense foods.

Right way: Lots of fruit, vegetables, fish, chicken, meat, nuts, etc etc etc, and on occasional treat when you want to.
    Wrong way: Donuts, Cakes, Ice Cream, and an occasional vegetable.

Both can give you weight loss given a calorie deficit, but it should go without saying that one method is superior for health and body composition.

In other words, just keep making good food choices and hit your cals/macros and pick up some weights and don't worry about the rest.

This is a very good idea, thank you! I shall continue to do just that :-)
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Isn't this an oxymoron? There is not such thing as eating too much fruit.