Protein????

Options
Can you have too much:ohwell: ???? I go over by at least 20 most day's and just wondering if I need to adjust things. I have read it's not a big deal but just wondering what everyone else's take on it is.
Thanks!!!!!

Replies

• Shanta1983
    Shanta1983 Posts: 1,228 Member
    Options
    Oh boy Im waiting on this one cant wait to read this one:bigsmile: cuz Im in the same boat
  • eriny
    eriny Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    me too
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    i go over like that everyday too! but the personal trainer said you need more protien when you work out to heal the muscles after stressing them, so im still losing, i guess its okay:bigsmile:
  • igmom
    igmom Posts: 90
    Options
    change your MFP goals in your profile to 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat
  • ragingtomato
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure this is true but I've read that the body stores extra protein as fat. I know you need extra protein to recuperate after a workout, but once you enter your exercise on MFP your recommended protein for that day (as well as carbs, fat, and calories) increases, so I'm assuming that extra is how much you need to rebuild muscle, and maybe if you go beyond even this it will be stored as fat?
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    Our protein needs depend on our age, size, and activity level. The standard method used by nutritionists to estimate our minimum daily protein requirement is to multiply the body weight in kilograms by .8, or weight in pounds by .37. This is the number of grams of protein that should be the daily minimum. According to this method, a person weighing 150 lbs. should eat 55 grams of protein per day, a 200-pound person should get 74 grams, and a 250-pound person, 92 grams.
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    I'm not entirely sure this is true but I've read that the body stores extra protein as fat. I know you need extra protein to recuperate after a workout, but once you enter your exercise on MFP your recommended protein for that day (as well as carbs, fat, and calories) increases, so I'm assuming that extra is how much you need to rebuild muscle, and maybe if you go beyond even this it will be stored as fat?

Extra protein can be broken down into glucose in a process called gluconeogenesis. On low carb diets, this happens continually. One benefit of obtaining glucose from protein is that it is absorbed into the bloodstream very slowly, so it doesn’t cause a rapid blood sugar increase.

Also, the process of gluconeogenesis is why we as human truly do NOT need carbohydrates, just as our cave man ancestors didn't need carbs either. We have not evolved into something different.
  • Tinker73
    Tinker73 Posts: 45
    Options
    here is link for all the confussed .It will answer all your questions you have on this topic.
    http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/high-protein-diet-for-weight-loss
  • metalpalace
    Options

Extra protein can be broken down into glucose in a process called gluconeogenesis. On low carb diets, this happens continually. One benefit of obtaining glucose from protein is that it is absorbed into the bloodstream very slowly, so it doesn’t cause a rapid blood sugar increase.

Also, the process of gluconeogenesis is why we as human truly do NOT need carbohydrates, just as our cave man ancestors didn't need carbs either. We have not evolved into something different.

But the cave man only lived an average life span of 16 years :( They were very nutrient deficient I would think. They were also in dyer need of penicillin to I am sure from the open cuts and lacerations they received from hunting with their bare hands :laugh:
  • metalpalace
    Options
    Can you have too much:ohwell: ???? I go over by at least 20 most day's and just wondering if I need to adjust things. I have read it's not a big deal but just wondering what everyone else's take on it is.
    Thanks!!!!!

The ACSM recommends .8 grams of protein per every KG of bodyweight for sedentary people. If you are an athlete or just training hard in general then between 1.2 and 1.8 grams per KG of body weight is ideal. If you go over it's generally not a big deal. True; excess can be stored as fat BUT protein is the macro nutrient that is LEAST likely to be stored as fat. Just don't go crazy with extra and more extra protein because it is an extra taxation on the kidneys and it is possible to reach toxic levels of any nutrient including protein. To figure out your body weight in KG divide your body weight in pounds by 2.2.
  • igmom
    igmom Posts: 90
    Options
    Forgot to mention, I do not freak out about going over on protein. I do freak out about going over on fat or calories. I am losing weight very slowly, but at 44 yrs old, 5'3", 120 lbs, and low body fat. I am somewhat close to goal weight. So losing slowly is the way to do it. I do believe in building muscle to end up with a good shape, and I believe that the 40/30/30 ratio is a standard for that, but I also believe that extra protein a couple days a week is not a big deal. To adopt my nutrition philosophy, you need to do heavy resistance training and plenty of cardio.
  • bates
    bates Posts: 122
    Options
    It all really depends on your body type and the intensity of your life style, I remember reading somewhere that way way back in the day when human life styles were different (foraging and stuff) that protein was around 40% of their diet. But this included meats and fresh fish, and considering their lifestyle makes sense. In todays world with the sedentary lifestyles it can be far less. So considering life style, work out style, body type, etc. I would go with around 30%, thats what I changed mine to. If you're workouts aren't super intense and you don't do a ton of weights where you are breaking down your muscles constantly you could do with lowering.
  • nguill6
    nguill6 Posts: 133
    Options
    Yes. There is DEFINITELY such thing as too much protein. I am a vegetarian and people ask all the time how in the world I manage to get my protein. The truth is that most americans are higher risk for having too much protein than not enough. Ask a dietitian.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

Cavemen also used to drag their women around by the hair and beat each other with wooden clubs...at least that's what cartoons have taught me. :tongue:

I bet Mr Caveman would have done back flips for a bowl of cereal or a turkey sandwich.
  • July24Lioness
    Options

But the cave man only lived an average life span of 16 years :( They were very nutrient deficient I would think. They were also in dyer need of penicillin to I am sure from the open cuts and lacerations they received from hunting with their bare hands :laugh:

Actually in a protein based eating plan, the body gets all of the nutrients (vitamins and minerals) that it needs because of how protein is broken down in the body.

Humans do not need carbs in the form of grains, especially. The most we need is some plant matter.

I have been doing extensive research and reading that breaks it down to the cellular and chemical level in the body.
  • firefly13
    Options
    Here's what Harvard has to say about it (from the book Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy: The Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating and you can find more info on Harvard's website).

The RDA from the Institute of Medicine says you need 7 grams of protein per 20 pounds. So I'm 172 pounds, which would mean 60.2 grams. (Weight/20, and then x7).

"Because it is so easy for us to get protein, it's uncommon for healthy adults to have a protein deficency."

Emphasizing vegetable sources of protein instead of animal sources is encouraged (yay nuts, beans, rice, veg burgers, and whole grains!). Be sure to look at the protein package. Processed meats are obviously not as good for you and red meat should be a rare thing.

"High-protein foods slow the movement of food from the stomach to the intestine. Slower stomach emptying means you feel full for longer."

Be careful of too much protein in the long run especially because of calcium consequences (too much protein long-term has been linked with osteoporosis more so than any dairy deficiency--drinking milk won't help your receptors open up to avoid this!) , but a short-term high-protein diet could help with weight loss.

"At normal levels of protein intake, calcium and other agents in the blood neutralize acids formed by the digestion of protein. At higher levels, though, extra calcium is needed to neutralize these protein-related acids. This calcium is pulled mostly from bone, the body's calcium storehouse. The amount of calcium you lose following a high-protein diet for a short time--say a few weeks--probably won't have any disastrous consequences on the strength and density of your bones. But eating lots of protein for a long time may. In the Nurses' Healthy Study, for example, women who ate more than 95 grams of protein a day had more broken wrists than those eating an average amount of protein, less than 68 grams per day."

"Until there's a good reason to change, getting 7-8 grams of protein per twenty pounds of body weight is a good guide for most people."

Hope this helped, let me know if you want more info on it, there's a whole chapter! :-)
  • metalpalace
    Options
    Yes. There is DEFINITELY such thing as too much protein. I am a vegetarian and people ask all the time how in the world I manage to get my protein. The truth is that most americans are higher risk for having too much protein than not enough. Ask a dietitian.

Not only that but Americans usually eat a piss poor breakfast (the most important meal of the day) with not enough protein. So, the over abundance in protein is not only too much but is also focused on the wrong times of the day. Breakfast sets the tone for the day so eat a good breakfast full of carbs and proteins people :smile:
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Here's what Harvard has to say about it (from the book Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy: The Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating and you can find more info on Harvard's website).

The RDA from the Institute of Medicine says you need 7 grams of protein per 20 pounds. So I'm 172 pounds, which would mean 60.2 grams. (Weight/20, and then x7).

"Because it is so easy for us to get protein, it's uncommon for healthy adults to have a protein deficency."

Emphasizing vegetable sources of protein instead of animal sources is encouraged (yay nuts, beans, rice, veg burgers, and whole grains!). Be sure to look at the protein package. Processed meats are obviously not as good for you and red meat should be a rare thing.

"High-protein foods slow the movement of food from the stomach to the intestine. Slower stomach emptying means you feel full for longer."

Be careful of too much protein in the long run especially because of calcium consequences (too much protein long-term has been linked with osteoporosis more so than any dairy deficiency--drinking milk won't help your receptors open up to avoid this!) , but a short-term high-protein diet could help with weight loss.

"At normal levels of protein intake, calcium and other agents in the blood neutralize acids formed by the digestion of protein. At higher levels, though, extra calcium is needed to neutralize these protein-related acids. This calcium is pulled mostly from bone, the body's calcium storehouse. The amount of calcium you lose following a high-protein diet for a short time--say a few weeks--probably won't have any disastrous consequences on the strength and density of your bones. But eating lots of protein for a long time may. In the Nurses' Healthy Study, for example, women who ate more than 95 grams of protein a day had more broken wrists than those eating an average amount of protein, less than 68 grams per day."

"Until there's a good reason to change, getting 7-8 grams of protein per twenty pounds of body weight is a good guide for most people."

Hope this helped, let me know if you want more info on it, there's a whole chapter! :-)

We will have to agree to disagree on this one. I consume large amounts of red meat, stay away from grains, beans, lentils and other legumes, eat animal fat and my blood work speaks for itself.

Mainstream medicine in the last 40 years is wrong and they are eating their words now as the obesity rate and diabetes epidemic is skyrocketing out of control now days due to what they have told us for the past 40 years.

I have taken my own health into my own hands and I am getting healthier and healthier every day.
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Hey lioness, I didn't know you had this thread . Thanks for giving us the link. I think it is great. I hadn't read all the post yet but will before the day is over.
    But I do have a question. How is my diet of Jay Robb's shake for breakfast and lunch and a good protein meal at night with a few veggies? I love his ahakes. And it keeps me from gettin hungry.
    Calie
  • July24Lioness
    Options
    Hey lioness, I didn't know you had this thread . Thanks for giving us the link. I think it is great. I hadn't read all the post yet but will before the day is over.
    But I do have a question. How is my diet of Jay Robb's shake for breakfast and lunch and a good protein meal at night with a few veggies? I love his ahakes. And it keeps me from gettin hungry.
    Calie

I didn't start the thread, I just put my 2 cents in it on what i have been reading and researching.

The way you are going is leveling out your blood sugars, so that is the most important thing.

Have you gotten your blood work back yet to see how it has improved?