Replies

• in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    wraiths...
  • subtractionproject
    subtractionproject Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    "*Jillian Michaels’ online program is yours FREE for 7 days! You will not be charged during your free trial period. However, valid payment information is required. If you're happy with your online membership, do nothing. Your service will continue uninterrupted, and you will be enrolled under our standard membership agreement. Online membership is just $4 a week, billed quarterly (every 13 weeks). The charge will be applied to the same account you provide at sign-up. You may cancel before your free trial ends at no charge, or at any time afterward and you will continue to have access to your account for the remainder of your term." - jillianmichaels.com Terms of Service

It isn't a scam when the details are there and people simply fail to read them before checking the box verifying that those terms were both read and agreed to.

But I, (the OP) didn't sign up for a free trial. The disclaimer that greeted me was entirely different, and said I could cancel and get unused funds back at any time, which was not true.

It's not a scam, I wouldn't go as far as that, but there needs to be transparency, correct and corresponding information on all pages of the website. When I first posted, over two years ago, that was the issue. Perhaps now it has been altered after people having so much trouble with it. That's good. But if it hasn't, understandably, people might be ticked off

If so many people have this problem, perhaps the information is not transparent enough. At the very least, it's poor customer service and misleading. Either way, people have found this thread helpful. I'm glad.

I also didn't mean to suggest that JM was personally ripping people off, I'm sure she doesn't need the dosh.
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    I knew she was a gold digger, thanks for proving it, and sorry she stole your money.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    dmw45 wrote: »
    I like Jillian in general. I liked Biggest Loser even with all the product placement and bad editing. I use a Bodymedia Fit, I listen to her podcasts and I just started Body Revolution. Sure shes gotta take some of the blame for crappy products she endorses but I doubt she as a person set up the site to scam people. She does seem to be a trainer and she knows shes famous enough to make money off it. I doubt shed be pleased to know people are getting ripped off joining her site. You should try and let her know outside of the site which she may not run,

Having defended her, because she gives mostly sound advice.... you are free to pick and choose what parts of it to follow. Some of what she recommends may not work for you in your situation at all.

Its strange to me to see people on this thread painting her as a villain as if everything she does is terrible because its not the case at all. She recommends if youre trying to lose weight you eat 1200-1600 calories a day, you do efficient workouts, and you address the reasons you got fat in the first place.

Thanks for posting the warning that her site does that to you so we can avoid joining and losing money, but I wouldnt dismiss her entirely because you would be missing some great insights and advice from her if you did.

+1 and right in the middle of Body Revolution - and loving it!
  • subtractionproject
    Options
    I have done Body Revolution many times over, and I am huge, huge fan of her podcast - the problem is not with Jillian from my perspective at least! :)
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Whoops! Old post.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    "*Jillian Michaels’ online program is yours FREE for 7 days! You will not be charged during your free trial period. However, valid payment information is required. If you're happy with your online membership, do nothing. Your service will continue uninterrupted, and you will be enrolled under our standard membership agreement. Online membership is just $4 a week, billed quarterly (every 13 weeks). The charge will be applied to the same account you provide at sign-up. You may cancel before your free trial ends at no charge, or at any time afterward and you will continue to have access to your account for the remainder of your term." - jillianmichaels.com Terms of Service

It isn't a scam when the details are there and people simply fail to read them before checking the box verifying that those terms were both read and agreed to.

But I, (the OP) didn't sign up for a free trial. The disclaimer that greeted me was entirely different, and said I could cancel and get unused funds back at any time, which was not true.

It's not a scam, I wouldn't go as far as that, but there needs to be transparency, correct and corresponding information on all pages of the website. When I first posted, over two years ago, that was the issue. Perhaps now it has been altered after people having so much trouble with it. That's good. But if it hasn't, understandably, people might be ticked off

If so many people have this problem, perhaps the information is not transparent enough. At the very least, it's poor customer service and misleading. Either way, people have found this thread helpful. I'm glad.

I also didn't mean to suggest that JM was personally ripping people off, I'm sure she doesn't need the dosh.

Did you read the full terms of service before giving them your money? Yes or no ...
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    People need to check the date of posts. This is almost 2 and a half years old, I'm pretty sure the terms would have changed since then....
  • scarletstripes
    scarletstripes Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    sign into paypal. Click the cog settings icon in the top right. Click pre apporved payments then the company name in the box that comes up. You should read through the details on the page that comes up and there is a turn off/cancel preapproved billing to click. If a company charges you before the trial period go straight to your card company/paypal and raise a dispute. This has just happened to my friend when she accidentally didnt turn off a trial of software but luckily they billed her early so she got her money back almost instantly.
  • subtractionproject
    Options

Did you read the full terms of service before giving them your money? Yes or no ...

If the Terms of Service say something different to the information given to you before entering into the contract, the Terms of Service are rendered invalid. No I did not read the fine print. No reasonable person does, especially when the website so clearly stated something else on the ACTUAL sign up page. Again, I cited the fact that I was able to provide the instance that the incorrect information was supplied (which at the time was live on the website) and they accepted I had a point and returned my money.

But clearly you're so busy reading Terms of Services (seriously, iTunes JUST had an update, you might need about 3 months for that one) you might have missed that. Or are you continuing to ignore it in an effort to appear edgy?
  • JeriAnne84
    JeriAnne84 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    dmw45 wrote: »
    I like Jillian in general. I liked Biggest Loser even with all the product placement and bad editing. I use a Bodymedia Fit, I listen to her podcasts and I just started Body Revolution. Sure shes gotta take some of the blame for crappy products she endorses but I doubt she as a person set up the site to scam people. She does seem to be a trainer and she knows shes famous enough to make money off it. I doubt shed be pleased to know people are getting ripped off joining her site. You should try and let her know outside of the site which she may not run,

Having defended her, because she gives mostly sound advice.... you are free to pick and choose what parts of it to follow. Some of what she recommends may not work for you in your situation at all.

Its strange to me to see people on this thread painting her as a villain as if everything she does is terrible because its not the case at all. She recommends if youre trying to lose weight you eat 1200-1600 calories a day, you do efficient workouts, and you address the reasons you got fat in the first place.

Thanks for posting the warning that her site does that to you so we can avoid joining and losing money, but I wouldnt dismiss her entirely because you would be missing some great insights and advice from her if you did.

Agreed. I've used her DVDs starting a month after I started my weightloss journey and I've seen better results with my stamina and strength using her DVDs than I have anything else I've ever tried during my life. I did think about joining her website, I filled out all the information until I got to the billing because I kind of looked over the site and realized I could do and have been doing a lot of this stuff myself, so I didn't put in my card information.