Paleo Diet... yes.. no..

Options

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Paleo diet is flawed, the majority of what people seem to eat on that diet never existed back then anyway. BRB eating paleo cookies, brownies.

paleo-cream-puffs.gif

Hahahahah AWESOME!!!
  • Anonymou5
    Anonymou5 Posts: 92
    Options
    I've been on the Paleo diet for a month now, the only trouble I am having is training intensity. I am currently playing with my ratios to include more carbohydrates on the diet.

For instance today I have included a sweet potatoe with my breakfast and will include some extra fruit. It will take a lot of tweaking to get this thing working for my training I think.
  • charlesw47
    Options
    the paleo diet is good if u want to drop to a certain weight relatively quickly...but you have to make sure you eat a lot of starchy veggies like carrots so that you get your carbs...it makes going hard in the gym not so easy
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    The jump in obesity in the last 100 years alone proves that our bodies can't handle what our society develops.

Try the last 30 or 40 years. Eat what your grandparents ate, i.e. real, unprocessed, homecooked food, including grains, and you'll be on top form!

Your grandparents worked a lot harder and burned more calories per day then people do today.

Yes, exercise is good. It doesn't have to be wild boar hunting though!
  • RickR12
    RickR12 Posts: 1
    Options
    Ive been doing a round about version of the Paleo, Primal Blueprint since mid January. With exercise and some intermittent fasting. I have lost 50 pounds of fat since. I am 6'4", currently 212 pounds, down from 265. I would recommend it, but I'd also recommend that you count your calories. My FitnessPal has been the most effective tool to help me keep my calories in check, and maintain a calorie deficiency.

Id also recommend consistently changing your routine for eating and exercising, to keep your body guessing. I haven't hit any plateaus this way.
  • scohar4
    scohar4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    marksdailyapple.com
  • Phrak
    Phrak Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    paleo diet - Really just gluten free/dairy free people creating frankenfoods because they deprive themselves to be part of some fad.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I've been on the Paleo diet for a month now, the only trouble I am having is training intensity. I am currently playing with my ratios to include more carbohydrates on the diet.

For instance today I have included a sweet potatoe with my breakfast and will include some extra fruit. It will take a lot of tweaking to get this thing working for my training I think.
    According to the official paleo diet sources potatoes aren't paleo. Just another reason why I think the "label" is silly.
  • gonnadoit2010
    gonnadoit2010 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I went Paleo for about 2 1/2 months last fall. I lost 8 lbs during that time. It's certainly not a bad diet but I decided that for long term it just wasn't for me. I enjoy dairy and grains to much, to eliminate them from my diet. I gained that 8 lbs back during the holidays and started back with MFP the end of March. I try to eat a balanced diet,(although, I had pizza tonite for dinner, hehe) exercise and log my food. I've got a long ways to to go, but after losing 28 lbs during this 2 1/2 months, I'm feeling good and for me this was the right choice. If you decide to try out the Paleo diet, there is a great web site, www.health-bent.com. They have some great recipes. Wishing you the best!:happy:
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    If you were hardcore, you'd do the real Paleo diet, only foods that would have been around in the Paleozoic era

Only plants and animals that are currently EXTINCT

Except SHARKS. You have to eat sharks.

And crocodilians. Of course, both sharks and crocodilians have been known to bite back.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    paleo diet - Really just gluten free/dairy free people creating frankenfoods because they deprive themselves to be part of some fad.

What is your problem? You have an issue with people making cakes etc out of flours that havent been bleached the s**t out of? Making brownies etc with ground almonds is a 'frankenfood'?
  • Phrak
    Options

What is your problem? You have an issue with people making cakes etc out of flours that havent been bleached the s**t out of? Making brownies etc with ground almonds is a 'frankenfood'?

Yes i do when they call it paleo.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Yes i do when they call it paleo.
    Pretty much. Then again, "paleo" is a meaningless term, as every single person I've ever talked to that "eats paleo" has a completely different definition of what it is.

It's really just a marketing gimmick. People have been eating "paleo style" forever, without needing a silly name for it.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    FYI to those who follow the Paleo diet and currently cut out bread. Julian Bakery is debuting The Paleo Bread at the end of this month and will have two varieties: one using almond flour and the other, coconut.

http://www.facebook.com/ThePaleoBread
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    "Paleo" is a eating style and not a "diet" per se....as one can eat a Paleo way and not loose weight - even within the eating style you still have to adhere to the basic principals for weight loss...

There are all sorts of things bandied about when you use the term Paleo...

to me it is

Meats, fish, seafood
    veggies
    fruits
    nuts
    dairy (this is usually referred to as "Primal")

I have basically been eating this way for about 8 months now and found it is sustainable for me...I find it fairly easy to have a list of foods I choose from and eat from those foods...if I feel like having something that isn't considered "paleo" I will eat it - although having been eating this way for a while now the feelings to have something like a piece of cake or something like breads and pasta is greatly diminished...

the only thing I can suggest is check out the paleo/Primal board here at MFP and then give it a try yourself...
  • gwengogreen1
    gwengogreen1 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    it works! i do the paleo diet, but i cant help eating chocolate... >.<
  • Phrak
    Options
    FYI to those who follow the Paleo diet and currently cut out bread. Julian Bakery is debuting The Paleo Bread at the end of this month and will have two varieties: one using almond flour and the other, coconut.

this is my point to a "T". More frankenfoods made with these random paleo ingredients to satisfy the deprived.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

this is my point to a "T". More frankenfoods made with these random paleo ingredients to satisfy the deprived.

Again, justify the word 'frankenfood'....these are things made with pretty natural ingredients as far as it goes, almond flour, etc is often used in regular baking. I get your issue that eating cakes is not very 'cavelike', but calling it 'frankenfoods' is just tripe. Theyre far less frankenfood than the processed rubbish you see on supermarket shelves. I have a friend with Crohns, and she eats flour free/grain free cakes as she cant have regular, what is your beef with this?
  • Phrak
    Options
    My only beef is with the name of this diet. It is not fitting for what people eat on it. Dont call it a caveman diet / diet of our ancestors and then eat this stuff. Thats my beef.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    The jump in obesity in the last 100 years alone proves that our bodies can't handle what our society develops.

Try the last 30 or 40 years. Eat what your grandparents ate, i.e. real, unprocessed, homecooked food, including grains, and you'll be on top form!

Your grandparents worked a lot harder and burned more calories per day then people do today.
    Don't tell me how my grandparents ate. My grandmother's only successful recipe is kahlua chocolate mousse. She says that the best thing her mother taught her how to make is reservations. And my great-grandmother on the other side of the family was a professional baker.