Fats

I seen a nutritionist yesterday and she has me following a diet plan.

It's broke down so much so that for breakfast I'm allowed 1 serving of starch/breads, 1 low fat milk, 1 meat/protein, and 1 fat.

So this morning I had granola, an egg, and a glass of milk. But I don't know what to do for the fat. If I would have put more thought into it I would have had a slice of toast with peanut butter on it.
I have a list of what foods falls into what category but for the fats its mostly nuts. Then there is butter, mayo, seeds, coffee creamers...that stuff.

I'm not a fan of nuts/seeds in the AM. those are more of a snack for me. I dont drink coffee so I dont need creamers. and I'm not going to eat a TB of butter or mayo just to fill my "fat" slot for this morning.

I know I can just eat the 2 TB of peanut butter and that is probably what I'll do today- but for future reference, what are some other more breakfast friendly fats?

Oh! She said my milk could be filled either by drinking a glass of milk or a serving of yogurt, but cheese wouldn't count. So does cheese go into the fat category?

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Eggs have good fat. If you eat toast, butter on it is a great fat. Milk is also a good fat, unless you're drinking skim. Cheese is protein and fat.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    It sounds like the diabetic exchange system. Check out the "fats" section on this link:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/diabetes-diet/DA00077
  • Cook your egg in some coconut oil. Yes, this is saturated fat but it has medium chain fatty acids which help raise your good cholesterol.

Put some almond butter on a piece of toast. Use an almond butter where the only ingredient is almonds.

Put chia seeds in a fruit and yogurt parfait. Chia seeds puff up in liquid and Omega 3 and Omega 6 fats, protein and fiber.

Unsweetened almond milk is a good alternative to milk - good fat, low sugar, little bit of protein, plus it is thick and creamy like 2% milk.

Your granola probably had fat in it. Watch out for the processed granola brands - try to stick with something without ingredients you can't pronounce.

These are all ways I get good fats in my diet - no need to take any big fish oil horse sized pills :smile: