Skipping

Options
I'm a trainee teacher, and today some Canadian chick (Jill Strong, apparently super good at jump rope of all things) came to our school here in NZ today. I had figured that my skipping days were long gone, but she said it was really good exercise. Cheap and can be done practically anywhere. Then was doing it with the kids during PE and it was actually kinda fun. So...

I actually bought my own jump rope! And even more surprisingly, actually hung out in the garden jumping rope before dinner! (had to lock the dog away while I did it because he's very curious, I hit him on the nose oops!)

Had anyone else written jump rope out of their workout lists because their boobs were too big and bounced too much? Think I must have been wearing a better bra this time around because I hardly noticed it.

Does anyone else skip as a regular form of exercise? What are good ways of keeping it relatively interesting?

Replies

• lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I don't do it regularly, but I take a jump rope with me on vacation because I can do it without leaving the kids behind. To keep it interesting, I do intervals. I usually do 10 minutes, then five minutes of strength training (lunges, push ups, squats, crunches, planks). In 40 to 60 minutes, you can burn some massive calories. I usually burn 100 calories in 10 minutes of jumping. Also, music with a steady beat helps too.

Have fun!
  • HealthyJess88
    HealthyJess88 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good sensible routine, I'm glad it's a good intense exercise. Definitely like the music idea! Thanks :smile:
  • CristinaMunoz
    Options
    I was always under the impression that jump rope was a good exercise because athletes use it in there workout routines, i.e. boxers.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I just started Tabata Protocol and using a jump rope for it. Total killer workout. In 4 minutes of Tabata I burn 50 calories.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Interesting,,, I gotta try that.

Right now I'm in the best shape of my life. Better than high school actually. Now I've never been a rope skipper - I was just too heavy to do more than a dozen skips. But now,,,,, Hmmm??? I wonder...
  • sheofthesea
    sheofthesea Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I've never been a rope skipper because of the bra problem. Since I've been working out more regularly, I find that wearing one sports bra two sizes two small under one a size too small usually provides enough support. I've been doing the jump rope cardio part of the 30 Day Shred and I rarely get both feet off the floor...it is hard on my knees! (and lungs, but that is another story.) I don't know if I need to lose more weight, get stronger, or get more fit but I don't imagine that I'll be doing any regular skipping soon!
  • HealthyJess88
    Options
    CasperO, I know how you feel but yeah do try it! I thought I was too heavy to skip. But clearly not yay!

I'm actually really enjoying it. Went out on the driveway at 9pm tonight with Basshunter playing on my ipod (techno/dance music) and just skipped away in the dark. I came back inside and mum said omg I forgot you were out there, it's been like an hour! I just walked around the place (I have a long driveway) until I got my breath back and then kept going. If I knew a chorus was coming up I'd go hard and fast and try to make it to the end of the chorus. FUN!

khorrell, I do exactly the same, too-small sports bra! except I put my too-small sports one on top of my normal one.

mojogurl, I just googled Tabata protocol because I'd never heard of it. It sounds intense!!!!! Good on you for doing it though. Not sure I'm ready for that kind of thing just yet :laugh:
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    30lbs - I'm not in any shape to be doing it either. I'm only doing 4 minutes right now. Next week I'm looking at 6 and the week after shifting to 8... so 5 minutes warm up, 8 minutes 20/10 tabata jumping, then another 5 minute cool down.
    I have to admit, my underfoot-arches were super sore after doing this twice!:sick: Oh, I was limping for 2 days.
  • HealthyJess88
    Options
    haha mojo, I feel your pain! woke up this morning and my feet are sore as!
  • amandadaisylotus
    Options
    Last time I tried to jump rope I nearly gave myself a black eye. Admittedly, I was only wearing a regular bra :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm confused. "Skipping" is that one foot then the next, not jumping up and down?
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i have it in my living room with all my other workout equiptment, it hink im acctually gonna go do it right now while i wait for my bf
  • HealthyJess88
    Options
    :smile: Hey Amanda, yeah sorry what I mean by skipping is any kind of "jump rope". Just here in NZ we more often just call it skipping. Skipping with a rope to me can be either hopping from foot to foot or bouncing on both feet at the same time. And it can also be that thing that lil kids (and grown ups who still have a kid inside them like me) do down the street when they're excited, without a rope in sight. :laugh:

P.S: go loathesome! I skipped again today, tomorrow gonna test myself how many I can do of each kind of skipping and then work on beating that every day I think.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of new exercises............keeps the body wondering!!

I love the jump rope. My friend brings one with her on her walks (cant run) and uses it to get her heart rate up.

:flowerforyou:
  • foxyforce
    Options
    :smile: Hey Amanda, yeah sorry what I mean by skipping is any kind of "jump rope". Just here in NZ we more often just call it skipping. Skipping with a rope to me can be either hopping from foot to foot or bouncing on both feet at the same time. And it can also be that thing that lil kids (and grown ups who still have a kid inside them like me) do down the street when they're excited, without a rope in sight. :laugh:

P.S: go loathesome! I skipped again today, tomorrow gonna test myself how many I can do of each kind of skipping and then work on beating that every day I think.

we should totally do a skipping challenge! or post our results to our own personal record breakers!
  • HealthyJess88
    Options
    :laugh: yep I'm keen for a skipping challenge! Who else wants to join us?
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Sounds like fun! But it also reminds me of this old joke:

A guy is terribly overweight, so his doctor puts him on a diet. "I want you to eat regularly for two days, then skip a day, and repeat this procedure for two weeks. The next time I see you, you'll have lost at least five pounds."

When the guy returns, he's lost nearly 20 pounds. "Why, that's amazing!" the doctor says. "Did you follow my instructions?"

The guy nods, "I'll tell you, though, I thought I was going to drop dead that third day."

"From hunger, you mean?" said the doctor.

"No, from skipping,"
  • foxyforce
    Options

A guy is terribly overweight, so his doctor puts him on a diet. "I want you to eat regularly for two days, then skip a day, and repeat this procedure for two weeks. The next time I see you, you'll have lost at least five pounds."

When the guy returns, he's lost nearly 20 pounds. "Why, that's amazing!" the doctor says. "Did you follow my instructions?"

The guy nods, "I'll tell you, though, I thought I was going to drop dead that third day."

"No, from skipping,"

hahaha! that was great!:laugh:
  • foxyforce
    Options

"No, from skipping,"

hahaha! that was great!:laugh:

ok, so today, i skipped 2 minutes! but tommorow i will count the number of times i can do!