advocare

Options
Have any of you ever tried advocare before? The reason I am asking is because my cousin is the most honest person I know, and she swears by the product, and her husband was an alternate for the 92 olympics in track and field and he swears by the product as well. What do you guys think about the product?

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AdvoCare

First, it's a multi-level-marketing company, and I always question the value for dollar of products that resort to having your friends sell it to you. The Wikipedia entry has a few of the controversies AdvoCare has come under, you can judge those for yourself.

Personally, the only product I choose to use is better-quality food. You've already lost 37 pounds, what prompts you to feel the need for a "product" now?
  • bluecollarfrench
    bluecollarfrench Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    There isn't a "need" to try a new product. I am just curious as to what other people think of the product itself. From what I can see, it is eating healthy foods. I am curious to see if it is even 1200-1400 calories a day or if you are supposed to eat less than that.
  • tmos512
    tmos512 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I did advocare in 2001 and saw great results, however, that was before they took ephedrine (sp) out of the product. Since then it never did the trick for me. It's really just another formulation of a weight loss regime made up of various vitamins and minerals. Can't really say anything negative about it though...
  • reddingaz
    reddingaz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the 24 day challenge right now & on day 12 - they really don't have any specific caloric restrictions that I've come across & basically what I'm eating is averaging about 1300-1400 calories a day & I feel FULL. I'm more or less eating 5, 200-300 calorie meals/snacks a day. They are pretty specific about what foods you should & shouldn't eat though - I suppose it should be pretty much common sense though. (BTW I'm female so I believe they say the portion sizes for men should be a little larger)

I've lost 5 lbs so far & they say that on average people lose 1-2 lbs every couple of days in the last 2 weeks of the program so we'll see what the end result is.

Personally I think it's kind of expensive for what it is - I think I could easily sub some of the supplements in the program with more readily available items at the local grocery store for less but over all what I'm taking away from it so far is to eat clean if you want to be healthier! So far I'd definitely say it's been a worthwhile experience & maybe I needed that extra little push of having spent the $$ to go through with it all - I'm not sure that I would have just voluntarily changed my diet the way I have over the last 2 weeks otherwise.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    There isn't a "need" to try a new product. I am just curious as to what other people think of the product itself. From what I can see, it is eating healthy foods. I am curious to see if it is even 1200-1400 calories a day or if you are supposed to eat less than that.

From what little I can gather, it appears to be a healthy eating and exercise plan coupled with a supplement product. If the supplement product is of good quality and reasonable price, then it's fine, but you'd probably do just as well or better with just the healthy food and exercise part as long as your diet includes healthy foods in good quantities.

Given the description from reddingaz, I'm 6' 3", male, 210 pounds, and I'm having no real problems keeping my net calories to about 1,500 eating good food in moderate balance. I'm doing the same basic thing reddingaz is, eating my food as snacks throughout the day instead of three larger meals.

So, while AdvoCare might be effective, I think the "eating clean" lifestyle they espouse is probably a lot MORE effective than the product itself, and that's free and might even save you money on food. But if using it for a while gives you that extra little boost to switch over to an "eating clean" lifestyle, it might be money well spent.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

PS: I'm not implying you aren't currently "eating clean" today - only that eating a good balance of wholesome and minimally-processed foods is already an excellent step toward losing weight without hunger, and is probably the most effective part of AdvoCare.
  • rubygarcia86
    rubygarcia86 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've heard great things about the MINS MAX 3 Supplement packets, I was told by a woman who lost about 45 pounds using it, of course with proper diet and exercise...so it wasn't a miracle multivitamin or anything...
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Can you say "Pyramid Scam"?