Do you deprive yourself of...??

Options

Replies

• vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I deprive myself of an extra hour of sleep most days to get a workout in. I still eat sweets, just not as many as before.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Moderation > Deprivation. :happy:
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I deprive myself of nothing, I have everything I want...in moderation (check my diary for today!) If I have the calories for it, I will have it.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    moderation on ocassion (for now) works best for me - in a few weeks I'll have to go strict again to prep to compete, but only for 8 - 10 weeks, max.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't deprive myself of anything. I do however, avoid bringing trigger foods into the house. I love (LOVE) chips of any type/flavor, so I don't have them in the house. But I will buy a vending machine size bag when the craving hits. Same with ice cream. I don't keep any at home, but if I really want it, I will go and get a scoop at the local ice cream shoppe.

For me, this is a lifestyle change and I refuse to give up my favorite foods. I've just learned to have a smaller portions less often. Took me years to figure that out though.... I'm a slow learner... :tongue:

I am the same way! I know which foods I just can't stop eating - and chips are my downfall, too!

I do the same thing too. I bought a small 1 oz bag of cheetos cause I really wanted them. I also keep my trigger foods out of the house.
  • HausOfTina
    HausOfTina Posts: 92
    Options
    I don't deprive myself of anything! I eat cake, chocolate, candy, everything! But only a taste... and I always log it.

I won't get very far if I give up the things I love. YUM
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    I don't deprive. When I was obese, and still today that is when I get on a tear and binge if I deprive and make it so I CAN'T have a thing.
  • faefaith
    faefaith Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    And I drink beer every weekend. Yep, delicious, cold, non-light beer, and I don't feel bad about it. I just get in a killer workout that day and make sure I'm well hydrated/eating right, and I'm good to go. Depriving yourself of the things you enjoy altogether is a really good way to quit later on down the line because it's not a sustainable lifestyle change.

heck. yeah.
  • raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    Options
    I've had a daily cheat treat from the start. At first it was 10 pringels ... enough to satisfy a craving. Then it went to 10 multigrain rounds with guacamole, and now it's 3 arrowroot cookies with Nutella. None are high calorie snacks but enough to make me feel like I'm being bad, lol. It's worked for me!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    No. Many times I will pass on that stuff if I don't feel it's worth the calories but no. If I am at a birthday party or wedding and I want cake, I will have a lil piece. I also regularly (too regularly) have things like fiber one brownies and skinny cow ice cream if I can fit it in my day.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    "Deprive" implies something that may come back after my "diet" is done.

I have completely eliminated some foods (like soda) and I've found that doing so for surprisingly short amounts of time leads to me no longer desiring it, and in since cases (again, like soda) being repulsed by it. It feeds my body nothing I need, and it now tastes like malted battery acid. I cannot fathom how I ever desired it or wanted to consume it. The one exception being caffeinated root beer, which I do enjoy in small quantities 2-3 times a year, but too much of it makes me feel icky so it's self-regulating.

I have also cut back on other foods, but I find that the smaller quantities satisfy my cravings for them as much as larger quantities once did. So I don't feel deprived at all.

When I STARTED, I deprived myself a lot, but that was to force my body down to a more reasonable caloric intake.
  • StephGodsPrincess
    StephGodsPrincess Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    As the others have said I do not deprive myself. I figure I have ti eat this way the rest f my life so unless I intend on never having food I enjoy until I die then I need to work out a way of eating that I can live with. I still have foods I enjoy in moderation and smaller amounts. I have added healthy foods to my eating and I exercise quite a bit so if I want some chocolate or some pizza, or hot dog , or any other food I have it. If I focus on not having foods I enjoy I just crave them more and if I deprive myself end up binging.
  • MileyClimb
    MileyClimb Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I find if I deprive myself I will tend to binge and because I am denying my body what it craves. but if I eat one bite of something sweet I crave like the other day i ate a half a cookie I was satisfied with it. it's like anything eat in moderation.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    HELL NO! lol
    I just eat those things on a MUCH smaller scale than I used to :-)

I've tried restriction diets (atkins) and they worked really well and fast, but I would fall off and go NUTS on sweets.

Now I have sweets when I want - just as long as I have the cals for it!

^ This! It's a lifestyle now.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Do you deprive yourself of all kinds of sweets and goodies all the time?? Or is it better to have occasionally in moderation even though I am trying to lose weight??

Each person is going to have a different outlook on this and find different paths to success.

I will say that calling it depriving yourself of something does not sound good. it sounds like doing something against your will, and as soon as you hit a goal you'll swing back to eating those things and gain the weight back. This is exactly why diets don't work.

Lifestyle changes do work. For me, that lifestyle change includes continuing to eat whatever I want with a heavy dose of moderation. Less of the unhealthy stuff, and keeping track of my calories. I don't plan cheat days as some people do. If I want to eat a cookie or bowl of ice cream, I have it and log the calories. Now that I see how those calories very quickly add up, I'm eating a lot less of that stuff.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    My rule that I'm bad at following is if I've had my daily nutritional information at the end of the day, I deserve a treat
  • addy_rodriguez
    addy_rodriguez Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hurray Beer!
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Depriving myself only makes me want it more. So -- everything in moderation as long as I'm within calorie goals.
  • boggsmeister
    boggsmeister Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I can keep most treats around the house and only eat them when they fit in my calorie budget, which is quite often. There are a few things that, if they are in my reach, I will consume. I will still have those things when the occasion arises, but I won't keep them around the house.
  • sydneywb86
    sydneywb86 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't deprive myself of anything. I do however, avoid bringing trigger foods into the house. I love (LOVE) chips of any type/flavor, so I don't have them in the house. But I will buy a vending machine size bag when the craving hits. Same with ice cream. I don't keep any at home, but if I really want it, I will go and get a scoop at the local ice cream shoppe.

For me, this is a lifestyle change and I refuse to give up my favorite foods. I've just learned to have a smaller portions less often. Took me years to figure that out though.... I'm a slow learner... :tongue:

Amen! Took me a while to get this as well. But, i now do the same things. No snacks or sweets allowed in my home, because...well, I'll eat them. But if I'm desperately craving, I'll go pick up just enough for ONE serving, enjoy and move on.