Hi, I'm Samantha, but everyone calls me "Whale"...

Options

Replies

• pduckworth
    pduckworth Posts: 133
    Options
    Hi Samantha :) I totally understand where you are coming from. I've been called "fat" more times then I can count. I also decided it was time to lose the weight. Feel free to add me as a friend and we can get through this together!
  • PennyRLane
    PennyRLane Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi Samantha!
    I completely understand what you mean. I have always been the "fat" friend all my life. Even when I was smaller in High School and College. I was never happy. I am getting there. I am learning to love my body, myself and my surroundings. Out with the bad in with the good and things haven't been easy per say but they are EASIER. You can add me as a friend if you'd like. Everyone needs a little support in hard effort. And support can make those tough times that much easier :)
  • BriskisGrl
    BriskisGrl Posts: 461
    Options
    Hi and welcome. The people here are amazing with support, positive attitudes, advice, you name it.

you are NOT a beach whale :( I'm soo sorry you've had to go through that.
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Hi Samantha welcome to the MFP family, you will find a lot of good people willing to help you help yourself, believe in yourself because you can do it
  • builtforlife
    builtforlife Posts: 259
    Options
    To hell with those kids.
  • Brittmy
    Brittmy Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! I'm Brittany, also 5'9'', and I started at the same weight. Now I am down 20 lbs since the end of January! It can be done!! It sounds like you have met some pretty nasty people in your life, so screw them. There is great support here. You can do it!! Feel free to add me.
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Hey Samantha, you can add me as a friend. Congratulations on wanting to change your life and be healthy. Notice I didn't say happy? That comes from within and when you start to love yourself, you will be a happier person!

^^ THIS.
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Just sent you a request. Much love to everyone willing to support someone trying to get over the emotional aspect of losing weight. Good luck to you, Samantha! :flowerforyou:
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome!!! If you want to add me as a friend I would love it!
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I know that you'll get lots of support from people who are also making the steps you are.
    I'm Laura, and my weight has always been up for discussion in my family.
    I was pretty heavy as a teenager/early 20's but got down to a reasonable size once or twice.
    Now, having turned 30, despite being active and reasonably well behaved with food, I have had the weight creep back. I'm having a hard time getting support from people because they know how active I am and think I'm being vain, but the 15 extra lbs is sitting around my belly and reminding me how sad I was when I started out trying to loose weight, alone, when I was 16 and 185+.
    Best of luck to you.
    Laura
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    This is why you can't take people's crappy words to heart. You're a bit bigger, you're a fat [insert horrible noun here]. You're thinner, you're a skinny [insert horrible noun here]. You're average, you're an ugly [insert horrible noun here]. You can't win with people who are determined to be jerks, so just tune them out and do your thing.

You are far from a beached whale and I wish you luck getting fit and feeling better about yourself. As someone starting out, my advice is to have fun with it and don't force too many big changes at once. c:
  • LilacDreamer
    LilacDreamer Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Hello Samantha, Welcome to MFP. You will find many supportive people on here (and like anywhere else, some not so supportive people too)

Recently I wrote down a list of all of the names I have been called over the years.

Names kids called me growing up:
    Shamu
    Free Willy
    Elephant
    Yokozuna (some sumo wrestler)
    Whale
    Turkey hill
    Giant Hippo
    Fat Christine (such as "Which christine was it, regular christine or fat christine?")

Names my "FATHER" called me every day (father is in quotes because he doesn't deserve to be called that):
    Overgrown Ape
    Fat A*s
    Chunky Monkey
    2 ton
    Elephant
    Wide butt
    Gorilla throwing it's weight around
    Tubby
    Fatty

I'm sure there are others but I don't feel like trying to remember them. The point is, that kind of thing stays with you, even now that I've been on my own for 4 years and living with my husband...it caused a lot of mental and emotional scarring that I don't know if I'll ever be able to get past.

If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to send me a message.
  • Lisapalmer850
    Lisapalmer850 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    whale??? come now you looking like a super model you look great it's people bigger and wish they was your size just keep up the good work you'll get where you wanna be in no time :)
  • poshcouture
    poshcouture Posts: 610
    Options
    Good Morning, Samantha. I will be happy to be a friend...to encourage you through your journey.
  • DalexD
    DalexD Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Hi there :) my name is Dale, and because Whale rhymes with it I was called "Dale the Whale" all through my school years so I know what it feels like. I was bullied horribly, so I understand. I started at 204 which is similar to you, and I'm down two stone now. Add me if you like :)
  • monroe61
    monroe61 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Hi Samantha,

I'm Samantha :) I am 5'10 and started at 253, currently 224...with a goal of 173 (for now) I'm very thankful that I've never been picked on for my size but I can not believe the things that people say and you are right girls are cruel. I would be happy to support you in your journey to become healthy!!! Sending a friend request!!
  • MogwaisGrandma
    MogwaisGrandma Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi there

You can also add me. My daughter Samantha is also on here. She is also about your height and I am sure she would be ok with an add. She is MalteaserSam, and you can find her on my friends list.
  • satrioprojo
    satrioprojo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi samantha,

I've been in your position, but i manage to changed. I was 115 kilograms and after 2 years i'm 81 kilograms (used to be 75 kg's though, but decided to gain muscles and reached sixpack) hopefully i can be a supportive person to reach your goals.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I can't believe people soooo nasty! Meet some new people who don't go in for abuse! Feel free to add me if you like.
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I dated a guy named Bruce (once) and got called Moose. I wasn't even fat at the time, just tall. Ah well. It's not what you're called but what you respond to, right?