how far would you go for perfect teeth?

2»

Replies

• PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    I have a gap, on the side, not front. It's because I have an adult tooth that never came in, it's tuck at a diagonal in my gums still today. So I need wire braces to put that tooth into place. I don't see it ever happening, I'm poor with no dental or health insurance. I don't think I can afford it.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    I've already spent what some would consider a ridiculous amount of money on my teeth. I'm kind of a freak about it. I tell people that if I ever won the lottery-- forget plastic surgery, I'm getting all my teeth pulled and my head filled with gorgeous, impenetrable implants!

But... it's never been because they're crooked (I'm actually the fortunate only 1 of my siblings to have naturally very straight teeth). But while their teeth are pretty healthy, mine are prone to all kinds of issues. I've had oral surgery for periodontitis, two root canals and crowns, and an implant. I've lost count of the number of fillings. I brush and floss religiously. My dentist cites "hereditary susceptibility". I bet my hereditary susceptibility has by now exceeded the cost of both my sisters' orthodontia. :cry:

I have hereditary susceptibility also...it doesn't matter what I do, they just want to go bad....

My father had that exact same problem, and I know he's paid well over 10,000 dollars to correct his teeth...and i'm getting to the point of having to do the exact same thing...

I live with a flosser pick in my mouth and brush religiously and they still give me problems...UGH
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Will_Lift_4_Shoes Posts: 238 Member
    I think its worth it. I am in my 30's and I just had braces put on in January. My teeth shifted cuz I didn't wear a retainer when I was a kid so now I get to pay for it. I already feel a lot more confident in my smile I can't wait to see what the next year will bring when my braces come off.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Depends on the problem. Perfect... naw, that's boring.

But a bad bite (occlusion) can cause snoring and sleeping issues, mess with your jaw, cause damage to your teeth (requiring caps, bridges,or implants when the teeth are lost), Temporomandibular Joint Disorders (TMJ) can cause soreness and pain, really bad alignment can affect the way you hold your head and your posture. Even minor problems can affect other parts of your life if they make you too self conscious.

I'd do lots of dental work to avoid losing teeth or some of the other problems mentioned above. But for cosmetic things like lightening, I wouldn't be willing to spend nearly as much time or money. In fact, unless it's extreme I probably wouldn't do anything that's solely cosmetic for my teeth.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    I have had braces headgear and retainers, it took about 7 years to complete, and multiple high school beatings....but.....now all those as*holes are sad bc they look like *kitten*. Do what you gotta do, when its done....you wont regret it!
  • smartandtrim
    smartandtrim Posts: 123 Member
    I've had 5 years of braces, two surgeries, whitening and enamel implants on what were considered already very near perfect teeth. Your smile is how you present yourself to the world- it needs to be perfect.
  • MeliJean78
    MeliJean78 Posts: 249
    Teeth just get in the way.
  • Sissy4EverX3
    Sissy4EverX3 Posts: 247
    If I want to have perfect teeth, all I have to do is remember to put mine in. :bigsmile:

Seriously, though, I'm only 33 and having to wear dentures is quite embarassing -- especially since they don't fit right and I don't wear them half the time because of that anyhow. (I can't afford the $$$ to have them refitted.) My parents spend over $10k on my teeth growing up and I was the idiot who let it all go to waste. I brushed them, but apparently not well enough. One by one, they all came out. I really kick myself most days for that.
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    When I was 15 (I'm 35 now) I demanded a brace because one of my top teeth (my left canine) was slightly out of alignment. I wore that brace for a year and was left with perfectly straight teeth. I'm fortunate that my teeth are particularly white and I don't get much of a tartar build up (I only need yearly checkups and my dentist says he sees about 5 times as much build up on other people's teeth after 6 months than he sees on mine after a year!). I'm particularly lucky and never need anything more than a scale and polish (I have one tiny white filling I had done when I was nearly 22). My hubby is the other end of the scale - he's only 2 years older than me and is missing almost all his back teeth already. He always dreads a visit to the dentist because he knows he'll need more work done every time, whether it's a filling or another tooth pulled. I really hope our son takes after me in the teeth department! He's 3-y-o and his teeth are beautifully straight and white. I hope they stay that way!

My only regret is that I didn't ask for a lower brace too, as I have slight spaces between my bottom teeth. They're not large spaces, but I wish they looked "neater". My dentist, on the other hand, LOVES those small gaps because he can get in about my teeth to make sure they're sparkling - LOL!

I'm lucky I grew up in the UK - dental treatment is free for under 18s, so my braces didn't cost my parents anything. I also see an NHS dentist now, so I don't have to pay through the nose for a scale and polish, and my hubby cuts his costs on his required dental work too - he couldn't possibly afford it privately as he always need s so much done. :(
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    I smile all the time and am grateful to have nearly perfect teeth. I do get them professionally whitened every 6months which some people find extreme. It goes a long way with making me feel more confident. I wanted braces soooooo bad as a kid. I used to unfold a paper clip and try and wear it across my teeth.

I wanted braces too! I had giant gaps between my top front teeth (they're genetic, but while my sister got braces too, my brother's fixed themselves) and an overbite.

I got braces at 8 because I'd already lost all my baby teeth, and I had them til I was nearly twelve. Then my top front teeth started moving apart again, so I got a smaller set of braces two years later, then veneers on my teeth beside my front two teeth to hold them together.

It didn't work. My dog chewed up my retainer twice so I had to deal with it. I don't really mind the gap now, it gives character. I absolutely HATE my overbite, purely for comfort. The gap and overbite keep getting worse over time and I feel like my teeth are running away from me.

One of my rewards is to save up to get braces and new veneers again.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    My teeth are straight enough for me, I think I have a pretty smile. My thing is that, due to neglect on my part, I've lost 3 upper teeth in the back. You can't tell just by looking at me they are missing, but my remaining teeth have started to shift. I plan on getting implants in the next 3 years. They are so expensive I can only afford to do one a year.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    ... My dog chewed up my retainer twice ...

According to my dentist, this is a common problem. I guess dogs like the taste/smell from their people's mouths. So, be careful where you store your retainers or other appliances, if you have a dog. (He mentioned that cats will do this sometimes too.)
  • colpol1
    colpol1 Posts: 59 Member
    I had a gap in my tooth which was really bad, but last year when I turned 18 I got a brace..I left it so late because my parents refused to help me out, but I am so glad I finally got it. I wouldn't say I find it embarrassing at all, it looks fine and within 2 months my gap was barely noticeable anymore.
    The results are always worth it, and yeah I guess it is better to get it done when you're younger but I dont see a problem with older people having it, and I dont laugh at them for having a brace ect..I think people who take the micky out of people with braces need a lot of growing up to do, its childish.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    i'm 19 years old, had braces when i was younger! today i have just been fitted with the inman aligner to correct overlapping in my front teeth.. although its removable and i only have to wear it 19 hours a day its also quite bulky, makes me look about 5 and is sore!!
    My 20 year old just had braces put on for the second time in his life. The first time he had the silver, metal ones. This time he went with "6 Month Smile" or something like that and they're clear. He's had his teeth whitened several times and he has super white, straight teeth but he wants them perfect. He didn't like how the braces looked on him now that he's 20, but he'll get used to them, as you will our aligner. You'll be glad later that you did it now.
  • yelpat
    yelpat Posts: 414 Member
    I have pretty nice teeth I've been told, but I'd definitely get braces if I needed to.
  • LanaMcL
    LanaMcL Posts: 41 Member
    I have braces - got then 18 months ago. I turned 30 in feb. Fed up with them now, especially when i look back at pictures and think my teeth were not as bad as I thought they were.

I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end.