So I signed up for my first 5k!

Options
Signed up for my first 5k. I am kind of nervous but can't wait for July 4th to roll around to knock it out of the way. I don't plan to have a fast time. I currently run around 42 to 45 minutes but I wanted to do it to say I can.
Anyone have anything to share from their first 5k?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    If you're already able to run the full 5K relax and have fun, your only goal the first time out is to cross the finish line with a smile on your face.

The biggest trap new runners (and even some not so new ones) often fall into is getting caught up in the excitement and coming out too fast. Pace yourself, it takes practice but it'll make your race far more enjoyable if you don't blow your brains out in the first few minutes.

If you can pick up your race kit and get all your gear organized the day before. get a good night's sleep and try to get to race venue a little early (the pre-race lines at the porta potties can be a bit long) Your hydration (especially for mid-summer runs) starts the day before the race and no new foods in the day before the race. A smallish breakfast (I'm keen on peanut butter & toast) two to three hours before race time and......have fun!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    If you're already able to run the full 5K relax and have fun, your only goal the first time out is to cross the finish line with a smile on your face.

The biggest trap new runners (and even some not so new ones) often fall into is getting caught up in the excitement and coming out too fast. Pace yourself, it takes practice but it'll make your race far more enjoyable if you don't blow your brains out in the first few minutes.

If you can pick up your race kit and get all your gear organized the day before. get a good night's sleep and try to get to race venue a little early (the pre-race lines at the porta potties can be a bit long) Your hydration (especially for mid-summer runs) starts the day before the race and no new foods in the day before the race. A smallish breakfast (I'm keen on peanut butter & toast) two to three hours before race time and......have fun!

^^^^^everything he said!!!

Have a blast and good luck!
  • petergarcia82
    petergarcia82 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks I made sure I am scheduled to pick up my package a few days early I heard it was better.

Thanks for the info on seed. I could see myself falling for that as I have done myself when running alone... I have gotten much better at pacing. I run 30 to 40 minutes on my 5k days currently without stopping so I might not complete the entire race running but it should be close. I guess we will see since we are a couple of weeks away.

As for Breakfast and the day before I had not even thought about that so thanks for the info.
  • petergarcia82
    Options

^^^^^everything he said!!!

Have a blast and good luck!

THX
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the heat in July! I hope the race starts early. My heart rate will automatically jump 10 bpm when it's hot. For my first 5K it was really humid and 85 degrees. Not a pleasant experience. My second is on Sunday, but really early so should be much cooler. I'm hoping 70 to 75 tops.
  • petergarcia82
    Options
    Be careful with the heat in July! I hope the race starts early. My heart rate will automatically jump 10 bpm when it's hot. For my first 5K it was really humid and 85 degrees. Not a pleasant experience. My second is on Sunday, but really early so should be much cooler. I'm hoping 70 to 75 tops.

It starts at 8am so it should be good. I am used to running outside during 8pm and so it should be close to what I am used to unless we get a huge heat wave.