Pregnant in America

Options
12346»

Replies

• thefreebiemom
    thefreebiemom Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I am in no way not advocating c-sec in a medical necessity, but that is not how the Drs operate these days. They train for c-sec. They train for induction. They will use buttering up, scare tactics anything necessary to convince uneducated pregnant women that that is what they need.

And you have proof other than??? I guess doctors don't really care if mom or baby live or live undamaged??? Am I following you??

Uh yeah. I have proof of experience. You must have missed where I had at least 20 different Drs when I was pregnant with my son (it was a training hospital for the medical school). After I gave birth and went in for my follow ups and stuff I asked the different ones I came in contact with how many natural babies they had delivered and how many c-secs they had performed. I had asked this of the ones I came in contact with at each appt before hand too. Natural usually less then 20 if not less then 10 c-secs over 50 mostly in the 100s. Every single different one of them touted the same convince your patient BS. Baby too big baby too big baby too big yada yada. Its not like it was my first birth or that I had even had complications during my first. I didn't have high BP, tachycardia, pre-eclampsia, or any other problems that would make it necessary. There was nothing wrong with him that would have required it either. I had my first completely natural no drugs no complications. My first even suggested a c-sec for no real medical reason (hers was that my daughter was too big but she wasn't) The day she wanted to schedule my induction also happened to be the day she was required to be at the hospital for rounds. But even with her I was able to stand up for myself. It was a lot harder to do that in a big bad training hospital with 20 big bad doctors all over the place hounding it in your head that you can't deliver naturally and need to be induced 3 weeks early because they baby is too big supposedly.

They also don't mention with the pitocin and other inducing drugs and with epidurals that the risk of BP/HR and baby BP/HR having issues increases, not to mention it CAN make labor more difficult in a lot of cases.

A woman deciding to have a c-sec because her life or the babies lives are at risk is one thing. Someone opting to have one for due date convenience or because they were scared into it by their doctors who want to do it out of convenience/easiness/money or whatever reason is completely different.

But there are drs who who try and scare first time pregnant women into c-sec. Of course they don't code it as elective because they can always find something to deem it "medically relevant".
  • sexycheesemonkey
    sexycheesemonkey Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I do not have kids yet, but many of my friends do. My one close friend had 2 beautiful babies that were born normally, but she had an epidural, the first time there was so much medicine that she had to have the baby vacuumed out! The second time there was barely enough and she felt intense pains. Another friend of mine was induced, and unfortunately she lost her baby even with an emergency c-section, with her second child she opted for a scheduled c-section to keep from having the same possible outcome as the first one (RIP Lilly-Anne). I have decided that I want an all natural birth, and I will not allow the use of drugs or anything unless there is an absolute dire need. I have to find a good doctor in my area, and my sister's mother will be assisting me as she has been part of La Leche League and is an experienced mid-wife. Neither my husband nor I trust doctors and are both in agreement of many things. Unfortunately the alternative to doctors is nothing...and that leaves me with no choice, but I plan on going in educated.
  • scubachick2287
    Options
    And please tell me how much more money doctors make off of c-sections vs vaginal deliveries. It couldn't possibly be that, I don't know, c-sections take more time and resources than vaginal deliveries. Things like the OR, the supplies, the extra doctors, extra care for mom, more pain meds/anesthesia, possible extra care and supplies for baby- they could be a factor.

And no, doctors aren't slicing and dicing women to hurry them up. There is a reason doctors don't push for moms to labor for days. This is, yet another, death topic. Do you know how many women and babies die because mom doesn't have access to the wonderful medical facilities and care that we do??? When mothers labor for days, babies do die, mothers die. Mothers deal with PPH, which also can kill them. Preventing death should be a good thing, but then again, I guess you can move to a third world country and take your chances.

I was thinking the same.
  • trblmakr23
    trblmakr23 Posts: 44
    Options
    I do think doctors are just c-section happy. Even 17 years ago when I was pregnant. I was considered a high risk pregnancy because I have lupus. I did go into labor six weeks before my due date, they tried to stop the labor, but it didn't work, and they immediately jumped on the "you got to have a c-section now!!" My lupus was not an issue at that time, as I was not in a flare. Everything was fine with the baby, nothing to indicate distress. So I refused to have a c-section, and I do think it had to be because of the doctor's schedule, as I went into labor on a friday night and he wasn't on call that weekend..lolol. Then they gave me a choice, have immediate c-section or they will do the c-section 14 hours later with the doctor on call. Luckily for me I was able to deliver vaginally in between that time with no issues or complications.

But I do believe if the babies are at risk and/or mother is at risk, then yes go for the c-section. But I don't think c-sections should be done for convenience on the mothers and/or doctors.
  • Delilah7
    Delilah7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    obesity is also up in America.... there are many other factors that contribute. i had an emergency csec after being in labor with no epidural......i can assure.......i experienced plenty of pain and a long recovery!!!!........jus sayin..... :/
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

My sister's sister-in-law (her husbands brothers wife) elected to have a c section when they were living in CA. She did not want labor so they scheduled a c-section a week before her due date...oh and gave her a little tummy tuck while they were in there.

Why in the world, would they do a tummy tuck right after birth? I mean, it takes 6 weeks for your uterus to shrink back down to prepregncy size. Seems that would complicate the healing process.

It's done in the UK by folks who have enough money. Victoria Beckham had it done when she had her kids in England. They call it a "mummy tuck." I wanted to have it done here in Canada, but they won't. And the reason? Because I have this stupid flap of skin that I didn't get rid of before I had my last child. (And it's definitely my last; I had a tubal ligation done since they were in there anyway.) I'm still working out like mad and trying to get rid of it.
  • enyo123
    enyo123 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this! I just found out my husband and I are expecting, and I am dead set on a natural child birth. They will have to fight me in order to get me to have a c-section..IT WON'T HAPPEN!!

Educate yourself, then. Practice a natural childbirthing method to help prepare you for it, like Hypnobabies or the Bradley Method. Good luck.

But don't be so set on having a natural birth that you're willing to risk your baby for it. We were bound and determined to have a VBAC for our daughter. She was going to be our last, and we knew it. My husband wanted to actually see his daughter being born. We even used a doctor who did not do cesareans, period, because she was a standard MD who also did deliveries. But when she saw that my daughter was tachycardic and not descending, I wasn't dilating because she wouldn't descend, and I was having contractions every two minutes and severe cramping when I wasn't contracting, she got a consult from the chief of obstetrics, who CAN do c-sections.

If your baby is in distress (and my daughter certainly was; I found out from my husband that while they were closing me up, she was blue and was being administered oxygen), you'll do anything to keep him or her alive.