Are you a Professional Nutritionalist?

Options
I was wondering if anyone on here was a nutritionalist by profession. I'd love to speak to someone who KNOWS what is right and wrong. Not just peoples opinions (not to say ordinary people are incorrect).

Anyone?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    if you want five opinions, ask two nutritionists.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I went to one yesterday to for help with my hubbys diabeties, didnt give me any more info than i already know, and i asked about eating the calouries you burn etc.
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    We are all professional nutritionalists here, just ask us and we'll tell you.:tongue:
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Is that anything like a nutritionist?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,056 Member
    Options
    Aren't they usually paid $$$ for their opinions?
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    In other words "I don't care what most of MFP have to say even though many of you have done extremely well at your weight loss targets, I'd rather ask someone who THINKS they have all the answers" You do realise I could do a cheap internet course and call myself a nutritionist??
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    You do realise I could do a cheap internet course and call myself a nutritionist??
    She's looking for a nutritionalist though.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    You do realise I could do a cheap internet course and call myself a nutritionist??

Oh right, well good luck finding one of them :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Nutrition is an awkward title, considering that every persons' body reacts differently to different macros and nutrient intakes. I don't think that anybody will be able to target every type of persons personal intake of macros/nutrients/cals and be exactly right. It's more of a learning curve. It took me 3 months of trial and error to find my maintenance and what macros my body reacts to well. After that, it's just a numbers game.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Check your phone book. I hear that's where you can find them!

I went to a regular nutritionist once when I first went vegan as a little sprout who told met o eat PB at ever meal to get protein (LOL).

About a decade (or so) later I went to holistic nutritionist to lose weight and she was amazing. She focused more on helping me develop recipes based on what I wanted to eat/creating a balance and getting on an eating schedule that worked best for me. She also really helped with my wheat/gluten issues.
    She had lost an INSANE amount of weight herself and I think her experiences are what really helped me be successful (lost 30 lbs, kept it off). She also completely helped change my lifestyle.

However, I think having a supportive network/tracking your foods/learning new recipes/getting advice from others can provide similar success. Unless you're struggling with a specific issue, I think patience and dedication is the key.
  • cheesy_blasters
    cheesy_blasters Posts: 283 Member
    Options

Oh right, well good luck finding one of them :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh I totally misread the post! I'm actually not familiar with nutritionalists at all. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Just ask your question, we'll try to catch the brosciencers along the pathway of provided answers.
  • Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Just ask your question, we'll try to catch the brosciencers along the pathway of provided answers.

ask this guy
    he knows more than any guy with a title...
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    In other words "I don't care what most of MFP have to say even though many of you have done extremely well at your weight loss targets, I'd rather ask someone who THINKS they have all the answers" You do realise I could do a cheap internet course and call myself a nutritionist??

It more likely means she is confused at the information coming forth from some people on the forums that is spewed as truth but actually has no basis on the facts.

I know personally of somebody who lost a lot of weight, but would I have taken their advice re weightloss? No because their own method was anorexia. Just because something works, does not make it sancrosanct.

The OP wants proper advice and judging by some of the "advice" on here lately, I don't blame them for wanting the correct sort.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Considering nutritionists don't need any actual licensing or education to call themselves nutritionists, your better off just asking the community at large, or make yourself an appointment with a registered dietician.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Your question is inncoent enough and somewhat valid, but you have to understand the nutritionist and where their head is at. Some think that a certain size is healthy, when it's not. Some think everyone in the world should be a vegan. Some (God forbid) stick to the Government issued food groups. You really have to ask some questions and get a feel for where they are coming from before you ask for any advice from them. You want to make sure the two of you are on the same page.

Also, it's hit or miss. Just like with a doctor. They'll send you for some tests, make an educated guess, and then see if it works. If not, they change one variable, and see if that works, and they keep going until they nail it. In the meantime, it costs you an arm and a leg (sometimes, literally) while they "practice" on you.

That's just how it works. So, MOST people opt to just try *kitten* and see what happens rather than pay someone money to try *kitten* and see what happens. Unless you have a health concern or problem, just do what seems right. If its not working, change one variable at a time until it works. THen stick with it.