Has this happened to you?

Options
I think the main reason I often give up when I start exercising is because I'll notice I gain weight within the first couple of days. I have never continued beyond that because I'm scared I'll look worse than when I started lol. Has this ever happened to you? What did you do to combat this? Did it naturally take care of itself?
I'm 5'4" and 134/135 pounds. On Sunday, I started running and doing some situps/lunges/pushups/etc. for strength. I have been running everyday and adding a little bit of strength training with it. This morning (Wednesday) I weighed myself and I was 139!!!! Is it really possible to gain 4 pounds of muscle in just a couple of days. The first day I admit I over ate a little but not so much as to gain 4 pounds... Help is greatly appreciated!

Replies

• LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I'm sure someone will be able to answer why it happens better than I can, but my two cents:
    - for some reason, this seems to happen at first then levels off for some people. It did to me.
    - weight can fluctuate by a pound or two daily anyway
    - sometimes it's water retention
    - don't weigh yourself more than once a week
    - be patient. It's the results over time that count and working out will absolutely definitely benefit you in so many ways -- weight loss being only one of them -- in the long run.
  • taimih
    taimih Posts: 14
    Options
    - if you can't handle the numbers, don't weigh yourself every day
    - when you begin a workout regimen, often your muscles retain water to help repair themselves
    - drink more water
    - don't weigh yourself every day
    - it takes serious athletes MONTHS to build muscle, so no, you did not build 4 lbs of muscle in one week
    - don't weigh yourself every day
    - your weight can fluctuate 4-5 lbs per day, depending on food/liquid intake, where you are in your cycle, how hot it is outside, your exercise regimen, any number of reasons
    - did I mention - don't weigh yourself every day?