Potatoes...is eating too much makes it fattening?

Options
SO..i noticed i hav been eatin a quite a lot of sweet potatoes and regular potatoes for the past few weeks....doin so well with maintaining on weight...I heard from my healthy diet book that u should eat a small potato for lunch or snack...is it ok to double it or more if i dont go over my calories?!?! thanks :)

Replies

• MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I dont see a problem with it but the carbs wil be a lot ....perhaps double up on other things like fruits and veggies and see if that helps:flowerforyou:
  • KatieJ2010
    Options
    Well, I would probably try the fruits and veggies thing too! I think your food diary will track your carbs as well, so I suppose if you enter those potatoes and it doesn't say you're going over your carbs then you're probably in good shape!

And myastyme - congrats on the 74lbs! That is fantastic! You're doing great! Keep it up!
  • metalpalace
    Options
    The potato has one of the highest carbohydrate glycemic index rating out there. Doubling up on them or eating them past lunch is a really bad idea if you are trying to loose weight. Doubling up on fruit is a really bad idea if you are trying to loose weight. Generally speaking, healthy adults only need one serving of fresh fruit per day to reap the benefits from the vitamin and mineral concentration. Fruits are high in sugar so if you want to loose weight don't consume more than you need.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    The potato has one of the highest carbohydrate glycemic index rating out there. Doubling up on them or eating them past lunch is a really bad idea if you are trying to loose weight. Doubling up on fruit is a really bad idea if you are trying to loose weight. Generally speaking, healthy adults only need one serving of fresh fruit per day to reap the benefits from the vitamin and mineral concentration. Fruits are high in sugar so if you want to loose weight don't consume more than you need.

Thank You for saying this.

I have been saying this for months and people always contradict what I say and say oh you can't get fat on fruit - eat all you want................
  • metalpalace
    Options

I have been saying this for months and people always contradict what I say and say oh you can't get fat on fruit - eat all you want................

Before long I'll be able to say Listen to me I'm smart I had to take and pass this hard *kitten* course with flying colors that shows I know my stuff! :laugh:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options

Before long I'll be able to say Listen to me I'm smart I had to take and pass this hard *kitten* course with flying colors that shows I know my stuff! :laugh:

Me too, LOL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

All I do in my spare time is research and contradict things that I have been taught. Most things I have done through trial and error and when I see positive or negative results, I go to the chemical and cellular level to find out why something particular is working. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I am really a nerd and should have finished going to school to be a doctor. Instead, I changed my major and instead I am a network engineer with a lot of medical knowledge.

Actually, I am thinking of going back to school and becoming a naturopathic doctor.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    It depends on also are you eating a potato by itself or do you add cheese and butter to your white potato. Butter and Cheese lower the glycemic load as well as eating it with protein. Keeping the proper ratios is important if you're worried about blood sugar issues.

If you can eat a lot of them and maintain and lose weight it usually means carbs are not hindering your results.