Running and Pain

Options
I have been running for awhile now and hit a roadblock at the same distance all the time. I get a pain in my leg, thought it was shin splints but its not because the pain goes from my ankle up the side of my legs on the outsides up to my knee. I am thinking I need new running shoes that fit my running style, but any suggestions or ideas, other than mine?

Once again the pain runs from ankle to knee on the outside part of my leg (outside mean if you look at me from the side, that part of my leg) it goes away fairly quick after I stop running though

Replies

• TheChosenOne_
    Options
    I had the same exact pain a couple months ago. I used to run everyday, then I took a 3 month break, and the same thing you mentioned started to happen. I could barley run a mile for a couple of weeks. To relieve this sort of pain, I would apply heating pad on the part of the leg that hurts. It MAY also be that you're shoes, are causing this to happen. Best of luck.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Probably the peroneal tendon. You don't want that to become chronic, believe me. Get some good shoes, and work on getting that part of the leg mobile.

I'll incorporate a peroneal tendon stretch in when I am stretching hamstrings. Lie on your back on the ground. Keeping both legs straight, bring one of them up in the air--hamstring stretch--using a strap or band around the foot. Now, with the leg in the air, pull the foot inward so that you feel the stretch on the outside of your ankle. Don't whale on it; just give it a gentle stretch. Hold it for 45 sec to 60 sec. You'll probably be surprised at how tight it is!

Also, work on ankle flexibility and mobility. Wobble board, jumping and the like once it's no longer painful when running.
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Probably the peroneal tendon. You don't want that to become chronic, believe me. Get some good shoes, and work on getting that part of the leg mobile.

I'll incorporate a peroneal tendon stretch in when I am stretching hamstrings. Lie on your back on the ground. Keeping both legs straight, bring one of them up in the air--hamstring stretch--using a strap or band around the foot. Now, with the leg in the air, pull the foot inward so that you feel the stretch on the outside of your ankle. Don't whale on it; just give it a gentle stretch. Hold it for 45 sec to 60 sec. You'll probably be surprised at how tight it is!

Also, work on ankle flexibility and mobility. Wobble board, jumping and the like once it's no longer painful when running.

Thanks and oh my ankles are strong and I totally forgot about that stretch been out of sports for a few years. Yeah I plan on getting good shoes that fit my running style after I come back from vacation this week