Decorative Pillows - Please Explain

swordsmith
swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
I have a nice leather couch that should be able to seat 12... the "accent and decorative" pillows on it drop that down to about 4... and of course every chair has at least one or two on them

The wife puts so many pillows on our bed it is tough to see the mattress- and dont ask me where they all disappear to at night but they tend to be magically replaced by 4 standard pillows in pillow cases that match the sheets.

The guest bed has enough pillows that I believe it can be used as a storefront display. I one time heard mewing coming from them, dug around and found the cat buried in these pillows.

And good lord- if I move a pillow or re arrange them I apparently have dismayed the decorative pillow feng shui gods! This necessitates at least an hour of careful placing to make it look like the pillows were casually tossed on the couch or bed versus the calculated placement of colors, textures, ruffles, beads that "tie together" the whole room. Penance for such an effontery usually requires a trip to Pier 1, Target, or some other store to buy more pillows to assauge the restless spirits of cloth encased foam....

So please... I beg the women of MFP... explain the mystery behind these objects that are multiplying faster then a tribble in a grain silo... and are any other men also as mystified at this odd female behavior?

Replies

• drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    I'm with you brother
  • Ohmydaze
    Ohmydaze Posts: 403 Member
    Haha! I have about a dozen pillows on my bed.. but it's a big bed, and I only take up a little space, so I have a mountain of pillows to hide me from the monsters.

I guess women are just strange like that. Or maybe it's just me, and your wife thinks they look pretty.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Pillows add color and interest to something that might be considered plain. We have dark brown leather furniture in the living room and I like to add a few pillows for color. I like to add different textures/colors according to the season too. For Christmas I have shimmery red ones and also some others. In the fall I have fall looking colors.
    We have white wicker furniture on the front porch that I like to dress up with pillows. It's currently a red/ white/ blue theme with a big red geranium on the wicker table in front of it with a couple of flags poked in the plant. I like to recover them every few years.
    I'm with your wife on the Pier 1 kick. That's right were I head when I walk in the store. Have to look at all of them! haha
    I just got done redecorating the bedroom. It's has beach cottage feel to it. So I've been looking at pillows that have an ocean/shell look to them. I didn't realize I liked pillows so much until you brought up the subject.
    Think of it as hammers for the ladies. You only need one, but own several. :)
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    multiplying faster then a tribble in a grain silo...

LMAO! :laugh: love the comparison!

I don't really get it either. I don't have many pillows in my house outside of the ones that came with our couch and the ones we sleep with (and a couple in the closet for guests).
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,173 Member
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQO1h-vGUvNIOOE4rJQH83_VuDTjHw6c-HROq4jq-L6DpPmEdX2FA

And they shall forever remain a mystery.
  • HellsKells
    HellsKells Posts: 671 Member
    I like them because they're functional when I wanna nap it out on the sofa. Otherwise, I don't use them. I think I have 2 in my house. All other pillows are regular pillows.

Maybe I'm just not girly enough....but that's fine by me.
  • RunningDirty
    RunningDirty Posts: 293

lmao.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member

Well, without them, a room looks quite.... Stark.
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member

I am so sending this to the wife...
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    I detest useless pillows.

Personally I use 3 pillows at night.

I only like extra pillows on the couch because I have short legs and my feet don't touch the floor, so I like a pillow behind my back for support.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Screen-Shot-2011-08-31-at-10.40.46-AM.png

Explained. Next.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,716 Member

Explained. Next.

This is why I'd follow you into the gates of hell itself.
  • ChristinaK69
    ChristinaK69 Posts: 249
    Decorative pillows are pretty for a display setting (like at Sears) but they aren't practical. I would rather spend my time doing something else rather than placing a ton of pillows on the couches and beds. They just collect dust and cat hair anyways.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Lol yeah they serve no real purpose except visually "finishing" the room. For us they are really only for company. When it's just us we throw ours off, put the two couches together to make a big bed, and play video games like 12 y/o boys. :)
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    I am not much of a pillow girl so I do not get it. I have a pillow I keep on the couch so I can use it to rest my head when I lay down, and have no other decorative pillows. And 4 sleeping pillows (2 for me and 2 should I have a guest)

I am not a frilly kind of girl I guess
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    We get it! Your wife digs pillows!

Just let her have her thing. She'll get tired of it eventually and donate them all to Good Will. :happy:
  • _Christine_
    _Christine_ Posts: 1,385 Member
    memes26.jpg

FR sent!
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member

Explained. Next.

This reminds me of Comic- Con last year.. Oh the memories.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member

Well, without them, a room looks quite.... Stark.

FTW!
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    I was certain this was going to be a boobs thread.