Getting started with p90x

Options
Hello everyone!
My name is Tina. I am 5'5 and 26 years old. I am out to lose about 15 lbs and I plan to do it with diet and p90x. Signing up today, I was told to have a calorie goal of 1200 but that seems low?? I guess I will try it and adjust if I need to.
I am wondering if anyone else is trying out p90x or is in a similar situation? Looking for some buddies I can relate with!

Replies

• Urzu07
    Urzu07 Posts: 39
    Options
    Hey Tina!

Welcome to MyFitnessPal. It's always great that you're doing a workout routine, so long as you keep things consistent.
    As for the amount of calories you'll need, it's really trial and error, but I would recommend that you get 40% of your calories from carbs, another 40% of your calories from protein, and 20% of your calories from healthy fats. General rule of thumb is that you'll need to be in a caloric deficit at the end of each day to lose weight. Multiply your body weight x 13, to see how many calories you'll need to take in daily, and use that to change your calories and macronutrients on your profile, for starters.
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Been doing P90X since January. It's hands down the best exercise program I have ever done. I have dropped 30 pounds since January and I am closing in on an actual six pack. Being that I am now 45 and never even had a six pack even as a HS and collegiate wrestler, I would say P90x is amazing. Some tips for success:

1) Dedicate an area in your home just for P90x. It should have a solid framed doorway for a pull up bar a TV and a DVD player and a rubber mat - ideally you should be able to do it uninterrupted as it does take focus and concentration
    2) Get a pull up bar that allows you both wide and narrow grips
    3) If possible, get multiple sets of fixed weight dumbbells - I have two sets where I change the weights with collars and it slows down the workouts considerably
    4) Write everything down in the P90x journals - it's vital to see your progress
    5) Do not get upset if you cannot keep up with Tony Horton for the first month or so - the dude is a machine - even if you cannot do one pull up - stick with Tony and I guarantee you will get fit. I almost puked the first time I did the Ab RIpper workout, now I do more reps than the people working out on the video.

Good luck - BRING IT :)
  • beamie2687
    beamie2687 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I just started 2 weeks ago and I'm SO HOOKED. I like the nutrition plan that comes with and I try to follow it (with a little GIVE because, really, it's hard to fit everything in!). I'd also say to follow the workout schedule at least for the first month. I find it gives a great amount of rest for each body part worked before working it again. So chest back, cardio, arms shoulders, cardio, legs back, and cardio again (plus a day of rest for everything). That way it all gets worked but not OVER worked. Like someone posted earlier, BRING IT.

Tony's motto is "Do your best, forget the rest" so just make sure you're bringing your best to every workout. It's crazy but it feels AWESOME.

Finally, there are a few p90x groups here on MFP that have some helpful advice too!
  • samra2012
    samra2012 Posts: 715
    Options
    p90x ... is the best! I did one round last year and lost about 25 pounds.. now Im doing my second round and in 18 days I lost 6.8 inches around my body... so its working again!:bigsmile:
  • Kimp727
    Kimp727 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm new to MFP & just started today. My name is Kim & my pic is from last summer when I was in shape & feeling good! I have gained 15 lbs. since last July & HAVE NOT been exercising. My husband & son started p90x today, I will be getting my exercise at the gym. :smile: